main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Maul: the forgotten villain

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by dolphin, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Maybe its the hype assoc. with ROTS but DM does not seem to have maintained the attention and following he deserves compared with Dooku, Grievous, Sidious, and Vader.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. CommanderJamesBond

CommanderJamesBond Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2005
    Well his role is pretty small. He has something like 2 lines and that's it.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Maul is hardly forgotten. He is a fan favorite akin to Boba Fett. People LOVE Maul and talk about him all the time.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. michaelbacca

michaelbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    Darth Maul is one of my favorite characters in TPM. I like him much better than Dooku. Christopher Lee is awesome, but he is old and his lightsaber battle in AOTC wasn't nearly as great as the battle in TPM with Darth Maul.

The fact that he had very few lines made his character better in my opinion. He was the misterious villian. The tattoos on his face and his lack of emotion made him incredibly scary when I first saw TPM, of course I was only 12 at the time but he was still scary and incredible cool.

5. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    maul will never be forgotten...all of ma mates talk about him, and rank him as one of the top villians...apart from vader...

but he will never be forgotten...NEVER :)

6. Darth_Howell_III

Darth_Howell_III Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2002

He's really not dead, so long as we remember him...

Park's martial arts skills put every other SW swordsman to shame. That guy had the moves.

7. Timothor

Timothor Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2004
    Maul is my favourite villain, and one of the best.

8. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Darth Maul > Vader + Emperor + Grievous + Boba + Jango + Jabba + Tarkin

:cool:

Sitara likes this.
  9. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    DM does not seem to have maintained the attention and following he deserves...

Sure he has. (You can take that comment however you want.)

10. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Maybe its the hype assoc. with ROTS but DM does not seem to have maintained the attention and following he deserves compared with Dooku, Grievous, Sidious, and Vader.

I think it is the ROTS hype. Darth Maul isn't getting much media attention because he isn't in ROTS, unlike all the others.

I feel sorry for Darth Maul. He'd have loved the Clone Wars.

11. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Maul forgotton, no way! Heck half the posts on the Force.net are about Maul.

12. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Who is this "Maul" guy you're all talking about?

13. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Well, technically, I think it's the opposite way. Darth Maul is a very throw away villain - at least from Sideous' point of view. He served his purpose in TPM in alerting everyone to the presence of the rising Sith. I find that the fanbase is actually the first to complain about his lack of screen time.

Personally, I think it fit him just fine. He was made much scarier to me when he was mostly all deadly action and no words. He came into the movie with hardly any fanfare, and by the end of it, he's managed to murder one of the main characters. Pretty impressive stuff.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  14. ObiWanIsTheOne

ObiWanIsTheOne Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    He isn't forgotten. Hes just not talked about as much because of ROTS. People want to talk about the big boy villains. Sidious and Vader. He was a great villain but went over his head when he tried to fight Obi Wan.[face_shame_on_you]

15. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    He is forgotten by some because compared to the other 3 sith he sucks. DV, DS, and Dooku are all very powerful and have distinct personalities, oh yeah and they talk. He also got beat by a padawan, i know the padawan was Kenobi but still. I think he will proably be joined by Grievous soon.

16. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001

Maul really needs to be mentioned in ROTS. Perhpas Sidious could mention him in passing, or dooku, or SOMETHING.

Maul is the best and baddest of the SW villains. Heck, I will go so far as to disagree with the above poster by saying Maul had the potential to be the best of them all. He was still and apprentice in ep 1, and a very young one at that. Imagine what 10-15 years later, his power in the force would grow to match his lightsaber techniques.

As for tyrannus, Maul would have eaten Dooku for breakfast; I mean look at dooku try to fumble with the saber, he can barely move.

17. Alhon

Alhon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2005
    Maul Was great! He could have killed Dooku on a whim, would have held his own against Vader, killed Jango Fett and taken a force-sensitive Boba as his padawan.

18. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Maul is not forgotten at all. He is a iconic figure of SW even if he just played the role of a henchman. Pop Culture has a place saved for him ever since we first got a glimpse of him in the Teaser Trailer.

19. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    Maul does not get the attention and respect he deserves.

20. chrisguyver

chrisguyver Jedi Knight

Mar 21, 2005
    Maul was one of the reasons i got back into star wars back in 1999 when i thought star wars's prequels would never be made. but when i saw the first image of Darth Maul i about crapped my paints. I was a little let down when i saw episode one because of the lack of maul but when he was on screen it was pure eye candy. I really think lucas under estmated the popularity of this character. it would of been great to see him fight anikin in ROTS. So to me he is and always will be on of the best sith's in the star wars saga.

21. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    He is a iconic figure of SW

I don't know about that. Everybody, meaning non SW average run of the mill movie fans, knows Yoda, Darth Vader, Obi-wan but not to many people even remember his name. I don't know that Darth Maul is himself iconic.

I personally have nothing against Darth Maul but I agree with what a previous poster said. He served his purpose. Let's just all be thankful the EU hasn't found a way to bring him back to life.

22. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    He is not important to the Saga.
    Hell, he isn't even important to the prequels.
    Maul is jus there. His looks are interesting, the mystery around him remotely interesting, but hardly an important part of the film. If it wasn't him, it would be someone else.

Dooku, Vader, Sidious, they all have dynamic personalities and characters.

-Seldon

23. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Ummmm....Darth Maul is iconic because of his tattoos, eyes, horns, teeth, fighting skills and his double edged Lightsaber.
    The general moviegoers still seem to remember him very well for that.

He is in a certain way just like Jaws (from James Bond). A henchman you will not forget for his uniqueness even though he didn't serve a really great purpose.

24. Virgilius

Virgilius Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2004
    Darth Maul was stolen from birth by Sidious/Palpatine to train as his Sith apprentice. He formed him into his tool, his weapon. You get a good insight into Maul's psychology and Sith philosophy in "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter" by Michael Reaves. As far as he was concerned, his life began with Darth Sidous. He's a serial killer who believes that "lives, even hundreds of lives" do not matter. He also believes that no one ever learns anything from pleasure, for pain is an excellent teacher. The Sith, after all, believe that one must understand the Force not through meditation (as the Jedi do) but through emotion.

As for his role in TPM, I would say he is a terrifying weapon for Sidious/Palpatine. He certainly was a lethal force for Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to reckon with. Long have I wondered what would have happened if he had not died. I guess Palpatine still would have wanted Anakin to become his apprentice. Imagine an Anakin versus Maul duel instead of Anakin versus Dooku.

25. LowRyder

LowRyder Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    Someone here said that Maul was not important to the sage. I disagree because he killed Qui-gon and I believe that Qui-gon could have kept Anakin from the dark-side, if he had trained him. So looking at it from this point of view, you could say that Maul played an important role.

Edit: So maul isn't forgotten, especially not by me :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.