main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Darth Maul

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jo Lucas, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I just noticed how cool and badass is this guy. He could had took the rule of main villain easely. But , unfortunaly, we have too many scenes of him in The Phantom Manace, and what shocks me is that he is in the poster!

George Lucas logic: look, we created Darth Maul, and he is a nice villain, but we will make few scenes for him. By the other hand, let's make a lot of scenes for Jar Jar, he is better!

Do you guys know if there's more scenes of Darth Maul in the Special Edition or something? He is in some video game or spin off?

2. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    I wish Maul didnt die in the first movie. He came back in TCW (I never finished watching it) but I dont know for how long because I heard the show got cancelled soon after that. Hes really cool in The Force Unleashed and now hes in Infinity. I hope he gets an anthology film. :]

3. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I really like Maul. And while I didn't watch much of TCW, I thought it was pretty stupid to bring him back following the events of TPM.

4. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Maul was really cool in TPM, but it was in TCW where he truly shone as a more dynamic character IMO. The development he got on that show was very well done.

5. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    I dont mind him. I thought his comeback in TCW was a bit of a stretch, but not enough to stop me from embracing it (actually the Dathomiri magic element was probably more my issue with his return story). The "juggalo" quality of his physical appearance is still a little off-putting to me.. but again, nothing off-putting enough to stop me from boarding the Maul train... altho maybe I'll just ride in the back car ;)

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    He could not have taken the role of main villain easily in my opinion. Can you have seen him being as charismatic as Darth Sidious and Darth Tyranus were on a political level? Maul was good at that, as was shown later on, but I think distinctions like his appearance would have made it too difficult for him as opposed to Sidious and Tyranus, whose alter-egos were well-liked and embraced by many across the galaxy.

Being on the poster isn't a sign of how important your role in the movie is. Look at Attack of the Clones, Sir Christopher Lee didn't appear on the poster, yet Count Dooku was the main villain of the film. A similar situation happened with Return of the Jedi; Darth Sidious was nowhere to be found on the poster.

GL didn't think Maul would be as popular as he was, that's why he killed him off if I'm not mistaken.

He is in The Clone Wars, and it was really well-done, if you like Darth Maul I'd recommend checking out that particular storyline.

Erkan12, Saga Explorer and Jo Lucas like this.
  7. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    Yes, maybe he could not take the role of main villain. BUT, you guys must agree with me that he SHOULD have more scenes in ep1

8. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Doing what though? The way TPM is structured, it's hard to really put him in anything more.

9. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    More of him in Naboo would be nice... before the battle with Obi wan and Qui Gon

10. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    The problem though remains what True Sith says: what would that accomplish in terms of movie structure?

11. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Maul and Qui Gon were both killed off too soon. They could have definitely had a little thing going at least into the next film.

Which wouldn't have altered the course of events that drastically, it would have only made Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship a bit shorter lived. Qui-Gon's death by Maul could have even been a factor in older Anakin starting to become angry. And to avenge Qui Gon, Anakin would have then killed Maul. All while still pursuing Padme.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I do enioy, however, how Qui-Gon has been included in both the CW and TCW, and Liam Neeson has returned to VA each time.

whostheBossk and mes520 like this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Darth Maul has always been really cool, but yes, TCW made him truly great. That show got so many things right in my book.

An anthology film would be intriguing! Imagine Ray Park and Ewan McGregor battling it out on Tatooine post ROTS... ;)
    Seriously, I'm open to that idea, but if they want to go less controversial and explore an earlier period of Maul's life, I'd be cool with that too.

Andy Wylde, Erkan12 and Darkslayer like this.
  14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Liam Neeson didn't voice Qui-Gon in the micro-series.

cwustudent likes this.
  15. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I don't think there's a single person who doesn't like Maul. The guy is an OG.

I suggest if you're really craving another Darth Maul fix, instead of watching him basically be neutered in TCW (seriously, the whole thing with him coming back is sad,) I'd say pick up a copy of Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. It's one of the few EU novels that focus around Darth Maul as a central character. It's great, definitely worth a read.

whostheBossk likes this.
  16. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I never hated him or minded him, but I understood his role in the movies to set up Obi-Wan's next step as a knight. That was his role, that was his purpose.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    You sure that's not him and he's just not uncredited? It sounds just like him.

18. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    Well, maybe a voice actor speaking like Neeson?

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I guess that's the point. It was James Warwick, the same voice actor who voiced Qui-Gon in the video games and TCW (before Liam Neeson accepted to reprise the role again).

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  20. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I don't dislike Darth Maul. But aside from his looks and Ray Park's acrobatic and martial arts skills, I sometimes feel that this character is overrated. I guess being "cool" is not a reason for me why Lucas should have kept Maul around. I just don't see him as the type to serve as leader of the Separatists on behalf of Palpatine, the way Dooku and even Grievous did.

Andy Wylde and mes520 like this.
  21. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Gonna have to disagree with you there lol. :p I think Maul would have definitely been a much more effective leader than Grievous lol.

22. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Darth Maul the character is superoverrated. He's Sidious's pawn, nothing more.
    Him bringing brought back for TCW makes me actually hate him.
    He's turned from a quiet, brooding warrior to a crazy, talkative, hysterical "I need my revenge on Obi-Wan!" cartoon character.
    Not to mention he was sawed in half and fell into a bottomless-pit. . . . .. . . . .. .
    ----------
    I would've liked to see him in a scene or 2 more in TPM, maybe on Naboo pre-battle, but that's it.
    ---------
    Also, is there a source for GL killing him because he didn't think he'd be popular? I was under the impression (in regards to fan opinion) the reason GL killed him is because he didn't want a villian to appear more dominating and popular then Vader which would shift the focus off Vader and the whole point he was doing the PT. (to tell the backstory of this super-dominating and super-popular villian)

whostheBossk likes this.
  23. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    It would been nice to see Darth Maul survive on. He kills Qui Gonn, but gets cut in half and becomes a cyborg. He returns in AOTC in control of the droid army as a general. He is the one who cuts off Anakin's hand, kills so many Jedi, and has been trying to assassinate Padme in the hopes of gaining political support. Maul captures the Chancellor, but escapes like a coward. Anakin has a blood lust to kill him and hunt him down. He is outraged that the council does not give him the assignment, but to Obi-Wan. He joins the dark side in part because of this.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Nearly everyone is Sidious' pawn. But Maul, Tyranus and Vader are more than that. They were trained and chosen to be his Sith apprentice. His legacy, basically.

So no, they aren't mere pawns.

cwustudent and Erkan12 like this.
  25. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Tyranus and Vader are more bishops/rooks. Tyranus was to start the Clone Wars, which would transform the Republic into Sidious's Empire. Tyranus is charismatic and able to lead the Confederacy politically. Keep in mind it's important to have the political leader of the Confederacy a Sith because, just like the political leader of their foes the Republic, he knows it's all a hoax. So the political leader of the Confederacy can't be a Tarkin-type or Neimoidian-type character.

Once the endgame for the transformation was nigh, Sidious recognized the potential in Vader. Vader was a combo of Maul and Dooku: strong in the Force, lightsaber fighting, and able to lead. And the Chosen One. Thus the switch to Vader.
    Not sure what Maul's intended role really was for the Sith plot, but more replaceable then Dooku and Vader.