main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Darth Maul's survival story. Sliced in half...what happens next?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Since TCW didn't bother explaining exactly how this happened I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this.

So....Obi-Wan leaps through the air & summons Qui-Gon's lightsaber to him. He lands & with one brutal stroke slices the Sith Lord in half at the torso. Maul falls back into the reactor shaft. As they fall each half of his body deflects from the sides of this seemingly bottomless pit.

Now pretend the camera stays with Maul. What happens next?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Good question.

I haven't seen/read anything Star Wars outside of the films, which I know well. However, I am familiar with Darth Maul apparently surviving his encounter with Obi-Wan in TPM and showing up in TCW and think it's one of the stupidest ideas I've heard. I love Darth Maul, but bringing him back from that is ridiculous.

3. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    He grabs his lightsaber, continues fighting the balrog, slays him on a cliff, exits space and time, then reappears in the Clone Wars in an altered form. :D

4. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I guess the only way this was vaguely possible is if someone rescued Maul & took him somewhere for treatment. After all Anakin & Luke would've probably died if they hadn't been rescued on Mustafar & Bespin.

Or is this one of those things we were just supposed to accept & not think about too much?

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I think its supposed to be Maul's anger kept him alive.
    Personally the only explanation I accept (since I hate the whole idea to begin with) would be that Mother Talzin somehow kept him alive through a bond between the two of them.

Kao Cen Darach likes this.
  6. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I know that's the reason given but what about the specifics? What happened at the bottom of the pit? Where does he go from there? How does he get off Naboo? They should have thought this through & told this story, not just given us vague mumbo jumbo like "his hate kept him alive". That's the reason given for Anakin surviving but saw how that happened & it made sense.

7. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Plus, Anakin wasn't split in two and knocked down an extremely deep pit. I'm gonna say that if you took a billion people and split them in half and pushed them off a skyscraper that no one would ever survive. I don't think there's a crease in that scenario for luck to slip through and save someone. However, if you took a couple of limbs from them and set them on fire instead, there might be a few people who somehow get lucky and survive that. Not many, mind you, but the scenario is a little more favorable.

zompusbite, Thuro and Darth_Downunder like this.
  8. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    things fall out.

9. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    there was a massive trampoline at the bottom of the pit.

"you know it to be true"

10. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    IMO, he just simply lived off of his hatred for Jedi. Obi-Wan to be specific. Although, that doesn't explain as to how he survived the fall, did he land on something? Where did he land? Did he use the force to save himself? It seems very illogical that Maul "survived". I think the only reason he had showed up in TCW is because of the fans demanding his return, and how he could have changed the story as much as he did. So he technically should be dead, but for the sake of fans, he was included in TCW.

zompusbite and Thuro like this.
  11. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I like TCW quite a bit, but Maul's return was the worst thing they did, in my opinion. In TPM, he's meant to be dead. That's why he not only gets sliced in half, but also plummets down a pit taking quite a beating on the way down as he bounces off the sides of the pit. When we first see him in TCW, he's crazy. And then he speaks of his hatred for Obi-Wan and the Jedi. So like with Anakin, I think the idea is that he survived off his hate and strength in the Force. We don't know any details beyond that.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He was found on a junk world, right? Then probably that was the purpose of the pit and his body was taken along with the junk.

P.S: From Darth Maul's Databank page:

Andy Wylde, Thuro and Ananta Chetan like this.
  13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    That facility in TPM was supposed to be a huge power plant for Theed if I'm not mistaken. So are they suggesting the bottom of that shaft led to a junkpile? & Maul somehow he survived on that junkpile until he was scooped up & taken away to some other planet which serves as Naboo's garbage dump. Is that it?

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    One possible interpretation. Their take is what's on the Databank page.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I guess that's...something.

Thuro likes this.
  16. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Makes no sense because TCW continuity makes no sense.

17. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    I hate TCW I know I'm a bad dude I don't care it's just garbage made for toddlers. TCW should have been the title for episode 2

18. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    That's speaking for a lot of people. I can agree, TCW could've been better. Although, it was made to entertain people of all ages. Not just "toddlers."

Sent from my SCH-I200PP

cwustudent and Thuro like this.
  19. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    This one is paradoxical for me...I agree with your perspective on the absurdity of his return, while at the same time loved the Maul Arc of TCW in Season 5, especially the incredible duel between Sidious and the two brothers.

20. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    For me, the strangest part was that he still had his lightsaber, which he carried with him. I heard that he reached out through the Force and escaped through a ventilation duct, which would then take him and other junk to where he ended up. And then I thought, he did all that one-handed? Props.

I like that Disney decided to clean up the continuity and revamp everything. But having The Clone Wars as one of the few items besides the movies that remained canon boggles my mind. I enjoyed the show, don't get me wrong, but I liked to think of it more as a "what if?" scenario, and that would be perfectly categorized in the Legends department.

21. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
  22. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Could you elaborate on this?

I agree. The arc itself was very entertaining, and probably one of the better aspects of TCW. As you say, it's paradoxical.

I wonder if that wasn't a GL edict as part of the negotiations in selling Lucasfilm. Or, it could've simply been that given the prominence of TCW in Star Wars history, they were afraid of backlash if all six seasons were dismissed as being Legends. Or maybe they just liked TCW and thought it was a good piece of the SW puzzle.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    99% sure it has to do with Lucas' supervision. The reboot happened so that everything could be more closely regulated, and The Clone Wars was under Lucas from the start. Something being "canon" also has little impact on casual fans

24. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Among the Clouds, well, a major plot point of ROTS is that Anakin is chasing the secret to cheating death, the same secret that not even Sidious knows. But of course, according to TCW Maul managed to master that secret conveniently just as he was fatally sliced in half thrown down a bottomless shaft. I've already suspended my disbelief to enjoy to SW universe, but even in-universe the idea is ridiculous.

Thuro likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Isn't Maul surviving suposed to give credence to the fact that Palaptine isn't pulling Anakin's leg or something in the Opera scene? Or so Filoni or Lucas want us to believe. I prefer having Maul dead at Naboo.