main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Darth Maul's survival story. Sliced in half...what happens next?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I think Maul's survival had more to do with desperation and instinct than intellectual knowledge.

RetropME likes this.
  2. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I think most Sith are desperate to survive and hang on to life because that's the realm they can use their power in. They burn bright, believing the afterlife holds nothing for them, unlike the Jedi who accept becoming one with the Force.

3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Well, there you go!

4. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    The retcon fairy saved him. [face_laugh]

QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  5. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Although Maul's survival is very ridiculous to say the least, I can come up with a semi-plausible pseudo-explanation.

When Maul fell down, he instinctively used the force to quickly gather spare machinery parts to his body. Maul's dark side hatred preserved his heart long enough so that the summoned machinery could fuse to his body before his system crashed.

No mater how you put it though, it's still ridiculous because being cut in half means you instantly die....

6. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    That is the best I heard, but there is never going to be a good explanation. Lucas originally wrote and filmed the scene to leave in no uncertain terms that Maul was dead, to avoid another Boba Fett escape. The irony is that over a decade later Lucas himself pulled a Boba Fett with Maul even though the film cleary shows he is dead. It is always going to be a big plothole for TCW series. Personally I think it is best to accept that the TV series just deviates from the films as a need for the adaptation to a TV format.

oierem and enigmaticjedi like this.
  7. Elegy

Elegy Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2015
    He survives and comes back to take over Mandalore.

8. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    I think in the lost Mandalore-arc of TCW planned season eight Maul will loose his last stronghold at Mandalore when Death Watch will fall apart from him. Then Darth Bane's prophecy comes true that in the end your people will not save you when they are to week. But who is not to weak to fight the whole machinery of the Clone-Army combined with many Jedi plus the Dark Lord of the Sith and and later the Empire?

9. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I didn't see this interview before, it looks there was;

https://www.starwars.com/news/interview-dave-filoni-on-star-wars-the-clone-wars-season-five-part-2

Darkslayer and whostheBossk like this.
  10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah thats an old one.

The Son: The future, by its nature, can be changed. Join me, and together we will destroy this Emperor that you see in your visions, then we shall end war, corruption and suffering throughout the galaxy!

11. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    He grabbed onto a air vent as he was falling which led to a garbage chute. Which eventually brought him to Lotho Minor. He befriended a snake to bring him food and made himself spider legs. His anger and pure hatred is what kept him alive

whostheBossk and cwustudent like this.
  12. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Lol

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  13. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I found Maul rather uninteresting in TPM.

He was all style, no substance. All surface, no depth.
    He was there to look cool, have a well made fight, kill Qui-Gon and then die.

Did he have much of a character?
    He wanted revenge on the Jedi for unclear reasons.
    He was smart enough to realize that two against one is bad so he separated the two Jedi so he could deal with them one at a time.
    Ok, pretty good.
    But that is then ruined when he has to hold an Idiot Ball so that Obi-Wan can win.

Suppose Maul was not in the film, what would have changed?
    Everything up to Padme and co arriving on Coruscant would basically be the same.
    Padme in the senate and Palpatine's plan would also not change. Valroum would be out and Palpatine would become chancellor.
    So his victory here did not rely on Maul at all.

Qui-Gon talking to JC would be a bit different, he would have no possible sith to mention and would then likely talk about the TF trying to murder them and how they attacked and invaded a republic world.
    He would bring up Anakin and all that and the Jedi would test him and then reject him. So no change there.

Padme would decide to go back but would Qui-Gon go with her?
    Unclear. There is no sith to draw out so the Jedi could let her go to her most likely death. If Padme went alone, she would get the Gungans with her, have the same plan. No Anakin so the droid ship would not get destroyed but if Padme could get to Nute, she would still win.
    So possibly no change. If Padme dies or is captured, Naboo remains under the TF control, outcome unclear.

If Qui-Gon and co decide to help Padme anyway then the events of the film plays out as is except no Maul fight.
    Anakin destroys the droid ship and Padme wins. Qui-Gon most likely do not die. You coudl have him get kiled by some destroyer droid if you want to force Anakin on Obi-Wan.
    And the Jedi don't know the sith are back.

But what do the Jedi do with that knowledge for the next ten years? As far as the films go, nothing.

Was Maul presented as a threat or dangerous? No to me. Prior to the fight at the end, he had killed zero people.
    He had one, not very long fight with Qui-Gon that ended in a draw. He had what, 2-3 lines of dialogue prior to the fight.
    So not much of a threat and not much of a character. He got a double bladed lightsabre, presumably to make up for that.

Take the Terminator from the T1, not much of a personality there, he was an unemotional killing machine, but very much a threat.
    We saw how unstoppable he seemed.
    Say that Maul had killed Qui-Gon on Tatooine. That would have built him as a threat. It would also give Obi-Wan more to deal with.
    He could go with Padme, in part to get even with Maul.

As is, pretty meh. The fight is well done but to me, a good onscreen fight needs more that flashy moves and good choreography.
    My own investment comes with the characters and what their story. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have no connection Maul, he is just someone they want to capture. Maul wants to kill them just because they are Jedi, not much else.
    So a cool looking and well made fight, with great music but not much substance beyond that.

Him living is pretty silly.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Love what you are writing. Agree with how it goes down until this one. There is no reason for Anakin going into space. Padme won’t go the long way without Maul. The Destroyer Droids won’t get the drop on Padme trapping her and so Anakin won’t need to shoot them. Annakin can stay in the Naboo fighter in the hanger. Without Maul, Padme and the Jedi will go through the reactor room to the place. The destroyers will be behind them, and won’t trap them in the hanger. Maybe not trap her at all.

Good question. When are the Jedi aware they can’t see everything in the Force? That might let them know the Sith are back.

If Maul succeeded on Tatooine in capturing the Queen and killing the Jedi - would the Jedi Order ever know the Sith returned? Odd Darth Sidious and Maul talk about revealing themselves to to the Jedi. Does that mean just Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon or the Jedi order?

There is a four episode arc of the Clone Wars that explains the extra factor allowing Maul to survive. Unfortunately it was not animated but we did get a comic book adaptation called ‘Son of Dathomir’. All that about Sith holding on to life and power is part of it what let him beat back death, but Maul has something unique, Maul had help.

Mother Talzin - the actual birth mother of Maul - used her Force powers and dark magix to save her soon from afar. She did enough to enable his escape and augment Mauls own power to keep him alive until he stabilized. Then Talzin left Maul to wait over ten years in a fog of madness until the time was right for his return and revenge.

We learn Darth Sidious once teamed up with Mother Talzin and pledged to make her his apprentice before betraying her and stealing her son. Talzin wants revenge. Darth Sidious says with Talzin alive his plans will never succeed. Basically they are both out to destroy the other.

Darth Sidious and Mother Talzin are manipulating Maul at the same time to drawn out the other for a direct confrontation where they would be vulnerable.

Talzin nearly defeats Sidious, but to do so would also mean Maul dying. In the end she lets herself be killed so Maul can escape. And Darth Sidious says Maul is no longer a threat without Talzin. His future is clear.

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Woah, you're back!

16. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I thought this was the dumbest move that "TCW" had ever pulled.

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    No one’s ever really gone.

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Lol, good to see you around again.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  19. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I have to go with this. LOL. Maul, like Boba Fett was just a damned cool character but they realized it too late. So the writers HAD to bring them back after their quick deaths. I dont like "fake deaths" and Star Wars is sadly a big offender. Palpatine was the worst of them.

20. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    The only way to explain it without making Darth Maul exempt from the laws of physics. He’s bisected and died instantly as he falls down the shaft into a garbage dump. The dead upper body and head are found and resurrected by a powerful inter dimensional entity like these
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Bedlam_Spirits

whostheBossk likes this.