main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Darth Plagueis importance in Canon, how important is he really ?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Fredrik Vallestrand, Jan 21, 2019.

1. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    the tragedy of dp the wise is very close to being my favorite ever star wars scene... other contenders.. Vader in the hallway.. the ESB duel and Han and kylo on the death star.. hope the old master gets an on screen part in something

2. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    How important is any Sith Lord before Sidious? They're all dead ancient history, yet each one between Bane and Plaguise certainly played a role in developing the grand plan.
    Even with that forgone conclusion I would be fascinated to see a complete chronicle of its development over the generations. As any story taking place before the latest in the timeline the importance is more about the journey than the destination.

3. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Plagueis is ultimately not that essential to the story anymore, but he’s a part of Sith history, which is very intriguing. I’d love to learn more Sith history, but I might value it more if it is given to us as history, as narrated tales or legends whose essential meaning has relevance to and parallels with living characters. But I don’t think I’d want us to see Plagueis directly or have his full story told to us.

What I’d love to see is Sidious or Luke standing in front of a statue of the former Dark Lord and telling one of their students yet another legend of Darth Plagueis. Hey, maybe there’s a statue of him somewhere among the ruins of Exegol. I’m sure not all statues are necessarily equally ancient.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Lord Exor and Darth Chuck Norris like this.
  4. The movies are about Anakin and Luke Plagueis is a character from Palpatine backstory he existed he is the master of the Emperor but he is not important in the saga the movies are about the rise of Vader fall of the Republic and the New Hopé

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2021
    Lord Exor likes this.
  5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think Plagueis was not all that important in terms of the saga other than the motivation for Anakin to want to explore the ability of saving others from death using the Darkside. Honestly his relevance in the story stops there.

However, I do acknowledge Plagueis could have been more-if not in the main part of the Saga, at least as a spinoff perhaps-as the concept of the character was an interesting one, especially when coupled with the fact that he was Sidious' master.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  6. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    hope we get more Canon info him on the acolyte. We know this will be pre episode 1..so be my reckoning will be the beginning of the story on a saga watch though... should include DP

7. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The Sith Eternal do not seem to use Plagueis's name, but they use his master Tenebrous. Perhaps his importance is less than what it was in the EU and/or Sidious forbid the use of Plagueis' namesake for whatever his reasons. But with Plagueis' death, Sidious would take rank of master of the Sith and Sith Eternal, he iherited the cult too.

The Tarkin book still had Sidious still fearing Plagueis striking from beyond the grave, and he warned that the Force has a way of striking back if you meddle too much with manipulating it. There really is a lot going in canon but its not that well explored, also unclear how canon are the novels since the animation and film takes precedence still.

In TROS' novel, Plagueis attempted to make a dyad with Sidious but it failed. The Rule of Two of Bane though is suppose to mimic the dyad thing, but how remains unclear, perhaps cause the Sith fail at working together they can never heal eachother, but no idea what are the benefits of it. The PT just had the two Sith Lords, master and apprentice which mimiced the Jedi Masters being forbidden from taking more than one apprentice at same time. And the whole ancient Sith Lords being many but getting wiped out thing, with Bane coming along and created the only two there are, no more no less.

We know Maul used his Sidious Sith training to keep his spirit intact, he cheated death. This is also on the backcover to Luceno's book since Maul was brought back at around that time. So we know for sure Sidious did pass on such training to Maul, but Sidious' reactions to Maul surviving both surprised him and impressed him. This all led to Sidious believing it possible to survive, but Plagueis just never had a chance to react since he was murdered in his sleep and for whatever reasoning never saw it coming. TROS novel kinda goes into a little detail as why Plagueis could not body jump in time. However Plagueis may not of given Sidious complete knowledge on purpose, since Sidious's transference was imperfect and it annoyed Sidious greatly to the point believing that perhaps his old master got the last laugh.

Its still a bit murky as to when Plagueis was killed. The Databank maintained that Sidous had already taken Maul as his apprentice , which was the EU's take, while new resource book like Ultimate Star Wars claims he was killed before he took child Maul. One has to surmise that possibly Sidious and Talzin were in cahoots before Sidious made his move on Plagueis and perhaps Talzin aided Sidious in killing Plaguis, similarly to how Ventress attempted to kill Dooku in his sleep on TCW.

8. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    I think you forgot Rey.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  9. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Considering the vast majority of people can enjoy the movies without having much of a clue who he is.... not really important at all.

I would bet the average person who watched all the SW films would be like "who?" if you asked them about this character.

10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
  11. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Frame within a frame = Story imbedded within story. The end of one as another begins.
    [​IMG]
    Watching a space opera while watching a space opera = The future of story? Endo-cellular structures; midichlorians and manipulation.
    [​IMG]
    Anakin attends to the long arc(h) of storytelling
    [​IMG]
    The Storyteller attending his own Space Opera

Watcherwithin likes this.
  12. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Jedi Food Chain - Up the ladder
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  13. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Dark Side Food Chain - "There's always a bigger fish"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I could see Acolyte might dvelve into this question of Darth Plagueis importance within the canon story of star wars. We Will likley see the dark lord here, maybe be the main character's master. We could see him corrupt the republic to its core.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  15. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Plagueis deserves a full length feature film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CampOfSorgan likes this.