main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Darth Plagueis in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DANNASUK, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_of_denmark

darth_of_denmark Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    Well said. You nailed it :)
    I also remember getting hooked on the idea of Snoke being Plagueis shortly after the first short TFA teaser was released, simply because Making Star Wars (I think it was) or some similiar site claimed that they had gotten hold of a comment from a LucasFilm insider who said that they might want to check out the following scene...And he linked the opera scene from Revenge of the Sith. So they speculated that the strange voice from the Teaser could be the voice of Plagueis.

And I liked that Idea since I always liked that opera scene which is one of the best bits from the Prequels (could have done without the medichlorians though) and that weird voice certainly sounded like something something Darkside ;) though not like it was the voice of the Emperor or Anakin reborn or as some sort of ghost

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    DARTH_BELO and FN1971 like this.
  2. CaptainCrunch2007

CaptainCrunch2007 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2007
    I never bought into the Snoke is Plagueis because frankly if he was around, it makes Palpatine look like a schmuck.

He's dead, his ashes were sucked up by a vacuum droid and deposited in a local landfill, or shot into space.

3. FN1971

FN1971 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 13, 2018
    Opera scene is masterpiece and one of the most important scenes ever made in Star Wars, and one of the most important dialougues in entire canon.
    We thought they would gona make a circle, wrap up the Skywalker saga, in which case Plagueis would be nice to bring sense of connection.

People like to forget that it was Plagueis who enabled Darth Vader and fall of the Jedi. Anakin turned to the dark side by the prommise of acheiving Plagueis power, a power to save loved ones (Padme) from certain death.

Now it is clear Snoke is someone else who was designed in order to explain First Order's rise, and to help character of Kylo Ren's grow.
    That is legitimate approach, but I hope story group will satissfy fans by bringing Snoke's backstory .

We like backstories.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  4. darth_of_denmark

darth_of_denmark Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    Well, Right now It looks like snoke was around before the Empire was formed and we have been told that he is even more powerful than the emperor so you could argue that Snoke makes Palps look silly. Snoke bragged about How he had seen the rise and fall of the Empire meaning he's been watching Palps all this time. Why he never did anything remains a mystery.

Ps. But you can't really make a sequel trilogy to the OT without somehow making Palps look less powerful anyways as you need a new credible villain, so you are likely to make the villain more powerful or as powerful as the previous villain creating a competition of sorts.

5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Except if anyone was that powerful then why not topple Sidious?

Because they couldn't is the answer.

Plagueis is not only the easy answer but the one that makes the most sense. Snoke was just a guy but there was someone else behind him. The way that Snoke was made into such a fool in TLJ may not have been intentional as such but it's easy enough to work the story that Snoke was just a puppet of Plagueis.

Plagueis believed in the prophecy and was counting on the Chosen One to destroy the Sith. Once this happened he moved in, installing Snoke as the Supreme Leader of the First Order. Since then he was waiting for Kylo Ren to betray Snoke and assume power. What his ultimate goal is up for question but presumably it's seizing control of the Force itself through Ren somehow.

You could introduce yet another character but at this point it seems useless since two movies were wasted not building Snoke then killing him off. You could bring Snoke back of course. That is easy enough and say that he actually is Plagueis. The idiocy of the character in TLJ was just a ploy as was his disinterest in Rey (which he clearly had in TFA) because he knew Ren was going to betray him (that's what he wanted all along as the training referred to in TFA). There's too much taint on Snoke after TLJ so to bring him back now seems overkill. Best to say he was a dupe all along and bring in a fresh character albeit one referenced before.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    KSennia likes this.
  6. CaptainCrunch2007

CaptainCrunch2007 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2007
    I doubt they're going to bother installing another uber big bad in the next movie, frankly this is now a two stage story of the Battle within the force between Rey and Ren, and the battle in the mundane world between what's left of the First Order and what's left of the Resistance.

Snoke for as powerful as he was supposed to be was basically made out to be an idiot with a fancy gown in the end. That might have been the intent of the writers as they wanted him as the sacrifice to make Ren the uber bad who got past his whiny indecisive nature.

7. BlueHenDave

BlueHenDave Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 21, 2013
    The problem is that Ren has not gotten past his whiny self...he is still a man child who cant control his emotions or actions. It will hard to get pumped if Ren is the main bad guy in 9. Despite Disney trying to portray Ren as Vader 2.0, its not even close.

KSennia and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He wants to be strong as Vader - not being Vader 2.0.
    He is now Supreme leader and posesses a higher position than Vader. Maybe he now wants to become as powerful as Darth Plagueis

9. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    .....no.

there is no Plagueis in space (9). sigh.

10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    That's a non-battle on both fronts. Ren is nothing compared to Rey. In hours she has already surpassed him completely after he's spent years with the Force. On the other side the First Order power is unyielding and everlasting while the Resistance is dead and the Rebels need decades to rebuild.

Sure they can completely ignore everything in the previous two movies (and probably will) but that is where it's at after two movies.

KSennia likes this.
  11. FN1971

FN1971 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 13, 2018
    I mean in all honesty Plagueis spirit is alive and ever-present in Star Wars.

In the Darth Vader #21 it is now put in Canon that Vader was experimenting on Mustafar with possibility to bring back Padme.Vader returned to Mustafar and his castle has became laboratory where Vader grew in knowledge of the Dark side in order to acheive his goal of binging Padme back..
    Vader must have studied Plagueis to.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    KSennia, Darth Caliban and DARTH_BELO like this.
  12. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Plaguies would have been cool from the get go, unfortunately Disney does not care about previous Star Wars history, they just wanted the star wars brand name. I actually liked the ancient fear theory about Luke and Ben accidentally unlocking the tomb of an ancient Sith Lord like Marko Ragnos or Ajunta Paul. That obviously never happened. They just "let the past die" and came up with a dude on their own because Star Wars is theirs now.

KSennia and Wildcatbarry like this.
  13. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Plagueis is always cool!

KSennia, Immortiss and DARTH_BELO like this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    That point could go both ways IMO. Meaning, why is it so important to convince hopefuls that Snoke is NOT Plagueis? I've seen people who don't agree with that theory get so worked up about it, everytime someone brings up the idea about Darth Plagueis. Why would it matter so much what they hope for here? I do agree the identity of Snoke is not enough to validly ruin the movie, but IMO there were many other issues with TLJ besides who Snoke was. I don't think that's really the main reason fans were speaking out against TLJ.

TBH, I was so jaded with how TLJ turned out, that it actually made me forget all about my hope that Snoke was Plagueis. And once they killed him off with no explanation, I was like "well-that's that." And now I don't really care. I can't speak for others, but I basically think of the Plagueis concept more as a "that would be cool if" kind of thing, rather than essentially pounding my fist to the table insisting that's what it should've been. That said, I think the main reason many on here were hoping he was Plagueis is simply cos it would be great for continuity, and a very interesting way to tie the trilogies together-from beginning to end. That and (at least to me), a Sith lord who could prevent death sounds like a really interesting plot point for a character-and any Sith who trained Darth Sidious is not to be trifled with.

Either way, I'm just sad Snoke is gone, just because I thought he was such an interesting character-whom I actually wanted to see more of!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    KSennia likes this.
  15. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Plagueis is room temperature.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  16. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    It wouldn't have been a bad
    It would have been a good idea to have him as the bad guy from the beginning of the trilogy. Inserting him in the last movie is a waste. The stage has already been set, no need to introduce another main character. And saying that Snoke is/was Plagueis is dumb in my opinion. He was named Snoke and he was only Snoke. If they decide to say he was Plagueis now it would just be to make certain people happy. I have no idea why, to say you seen Darth Plagueis in a movie for a couple seens only to be cut in half? I guess that's as good as liking him after only being mentioned in one scene by his apprentice who murdered him in his sleep. And that also brings me to the point about people thinking Ren cutting Snoke in half with the lightsaber isn't believable. Plagueis was in alot of people's words super powerful and awesome but couldn't sense his apprentice about to kill him in his sleep? Anakin and Obi Wan sensed another person about to get assainated from another room in mid conversation. Also Sideous couldn't sense Vader about to turn on him, or stop himself from being thrown down a reactor by the one handed beaten up Vader?

KSennia likes this.
  17. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    The room temperature is Plagueis!

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  18. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Ironic. He could save others from room temperature, but not himself.

Lee_ and Darth Smurf like this.
  19. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Darth Krayt would've been a better option. Could've tied in well with the Obi-Wan anthology.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    THAT.......Is interesting!

Darth Caliban likes this.
  21. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
  22. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Darth Plagueis will be played by Mike Zeroh!

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Impossible; only because of his reputation as Wise.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  24. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Seems legit. Also, why doesn't he have a nose?

25. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    He will be mentioned once by Kylo Ren to try and bring Rey to the darkside. Fans will talk about him for another 10-15 years. When episodes 10-12 come out fans will insist he is the main antagonist eventhough the guy will have a totally different name and the idea will be shut down by everybody working on the movie. Unless they use Plaguies as the bad guy, in which case they will say he is lying and actually Supreme Leader Snoke because it will tie the whole saga together. "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.