main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Darth Vader by Greg Pak, February 2020

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, you've read the Queens trilogy books?

Pius Dea Crusader likes this.
  2. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    The Separatist Council members were never that well fleshed out even in Legends. This is one thing that the NU Canon should expand upon.

Fredrik Vallestrand and Ghost like this.
  3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Who could forget about Shu Mai, representative of the Commerce Guild?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  4. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I haven´t, and if there is an in-universe explanation in those books for what bothers me about the handmaidens, I certainly welcome the news! I would have really liked for the comic to address this (at least tangentially) since we are apparently spending more time with them...

5. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Some relatives appeared in Legends, like San Hill's father and Passel Argente's uncle.

Totally agree.

KamNale likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It pretty much covers exactly what you're finding hard to buy into. Whether you go with the explanation is a different question.

The short answer is they practiced the deception for years, having been chosen for it and they got very good at it.

7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The Queen's trilogy fleshes all of that out a lot. Like Jedi Ben said, they were basically hand-selected for their physical resemblance to Padme, then were trained and spent years learning how to imitate her in voice, mannerisms, etc. as part of the decoy program. It's not perfect and the novels themselves actually convey that aspect of it all fairly well, with certain characters seeing through the deception at different times.

Pak's Vader series actually serves as an odd, unexpected follow-up to the Queen's series in some ways. The trilogy isn't required reading, but it does enhance and contextualize Sabe's story in the comic.

8. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Ahh, indeed, that what I was imagining. The thing is, they were selected in a young age, right? Padmé is dead for more than two decades... if they were trained to the point they simply can't stop being defined by this decoy persona, to the point that they lost their identity to imitate Padmé´s... it's an interesting approach, because it looks like fanaticism.

Still, physique, face structure, voice... it changes with age, and personal experiences make a great deal in generating differences as well. After all, we are in a universe where there was a whole series that delve deeply in the fact that clones could be very different from one another thanks to this.

Like @Jedi Ben said, I may or may not to be sold into it... but I feel I should absolutely read the novels to make my own mind about it first. That said, it's very appreciated that they address these issues properly in previous material. It gives what we see in this comic proper context, and shows consistency in the storytelling.

The Positive Fan and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That and Keira Knightly and Rose Byrne don't exactly pass as twins, or even cousins.

Vialco likes this.
  10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    They manage it better than Nick Gillard did, though.

[​IMG]

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Actually though this is kind of on point, since they do call themselves Amidalans, and have spent over two decades working in her name. It also creates an interesting parallel between Vader and Sabé, the two people who loved Padmé the most (also given great depth in The Queen's Trilogy) and are never able to get over her death, and both harboring guilt over that death.
    And now we're seeing that parallel through Dormé's eyes and she's rightfully terrified by what the thrall of revenge has done to her comrade.

Vialco likes this.
  12. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Indeed. Originally I felt the whole concept of the Amidalans a little far fetched, and still feel that way about certain situations of the comic... but Padmé was a young queen that united the people of her planet, fought for them, and whose actions led to Naboo to be free from a planetary invasion. That people that was already following her decided to keep her legacy after her dead and fight against a galaxy wide oppressive regime is certainly not illogical.

Something I can't remember if was addressed in the comic, but maybe some of you can help me. Where do these amidalans get their founding? Are people in Naboo (like Luthen´s circle in Andor) gathering resources to keep them functioning? I imagine that if they stealing resources from the Empire as a primary source of income, they should be notorious in the ISB archives by now...

@The Positive Fan [face_laugh]

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The handmaidens as decoys made a lot more sense when she was always covered in face paint while Queen.

14. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I'm reading the Queen's Hope now and am really enjoying it. I do think, for those reading Vader, it's almost essential reading to understand them and who they were as a group.

Barriss_Coffee and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    I STILL often can't tell when it's Natalie and when it's Kiera in the paint in TPM! [face_laugh]

JediFett10 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  16. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    You can tell it’s Keira when she has the robotic monotone “thank you magic trash can” voice

17. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I'm wondering how long this arc will last & what the end result will be (I assume not good).

18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #32
    GREG PAK (W) • IBRAIM ROBERSON (A) • Cover by RAHZZAH
    Return of the Jedi 40th Anniversary Variant Cover by CHRIS SPROUSE
    Variant Cover by PEPE LARRAZ
    WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH VARIANT COVER BY PEACH MOMOKO
    HANDMAIDEN NO MORE?
    Few bonds in the galaxy are as strong as the sisterhood of the former handmaidens of Padmé Amidala. But all that was threatened when Sabé entered the service of Darth Vader, the man the handmaidens always believed was responsible for Padmé's death. Now Dormé, Saché, Rabé and Eirtaé are determined to save Sabé – or stop her, no matter what. But the influence of the Dark Lord is strong and dangerous – and not just to Sabé. What path will the handmaidens choose? And how does all this play into Darth Vader's true plans?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

19. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Preview is up for issue #30, via AIPT:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ghost and Vialco like this.
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Darth Vader and the bad bitches.

21. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/marvel-star-wars-april-2023-covers
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #33

GREG PAK (W) • ADAM GORHAM (A)

Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU

Variant Cover by KHOI PHAM

Return of the Jedi 40th Anniversary Variant Cover by CHRIS SPROUSE

UNBOUND FORCE – Part One!

When the Dark Lord of the Sith loses control of the Force, nothing is safe — not even his own Executor-class Star Dreadnought. But in the face of total destruction, Commander Sabé finds an opportunity. Does Vader’s untrammeled onslaught expose a vulnerability? Or is it just another doorway to the terrifying tyranny of the Sith?

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    The covers for this arc have been so fire, love it. :amidala:

23. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  24. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Seems to me that Vader wants to make the handmaidens see his way of things as he's convinced Padme would have.
    Vader and his wife's girl gang is so funny. I love it. I kind of know the set up has to be that they reject him and that has consequences but I hope they survive.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  25. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Can they stop referring to Sly Moore as "Umbaran" please? They don't call Mas Amedda "Chagrian", Dar Wac as "Rodian", Jabba the Hutt as "Hutt" or Prince Xizor as "Falleen".