main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #13-18: Burning Seas (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 9, 2018.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Samuel L. Jackson in 2017: Mace Windu could still be alive! I want to play Mace after Revenge of the Sith!
    LFL & Marvel in 2018: Hey Star Wars fans, guess who didn't die in Revenge of the Sith? That's right, Mace Windu is back baby!
    Samuel L. Jackson: Sweet! When do I start shooting the Mace Windu during the dark times movie?
    LFL & Marvel: Uhhh...ummm...well, Mace was killed in a comic book. Sorry Sam, everything is canon now...
    Samuel L. Jackson: WHAT?!? MOTHERF****RS!!!

And that's my (hypothetical) biggest concern with Mace appearing in this or any other comic post ROTS. Odd as it may seem, I'd actually be fine to see Mace survive the events of ROTS. But, since he is so big of a character, and especially considering that the actor who played him is one of the biggest movie starts today has vouched to play him again, I'm not sure if the comic book medium is the best place to do this. If they re-introduce him in this comic I don't think they will kill Mace. That's a story that would demand a live action iteration. If, however, they don't kill him in a comic book, then I'd understand that. In that case it would be interesting to see how they wrap up his story in the comics without killing him.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm pretty sure this mysterious hooded figure is Vos. They foreshadowed his appearance by showing his name on the Inquisitor's target list in a previous issue.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  3. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Mace HAS to stay dead. I'm sorry but we need something from the movies to actual still carry weight and have gravitas. If he doesn't die in ROTS it really makes that moment in the film deflated and meaningless.

4. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Jedi Master

Feb 28, 2012
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned the fact that we seem to have gotten an appearance of what looks to be Phase 1 Stormtroopers/Phase 3 Clone Troopers in this issue. The stormtrooper armor is noticeably a hybrid between the classic Imperial Stormtrooper armor and the Phase 2 Clone Trooper armor.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    cwustudent and MrDarth0 like this.
  5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    it think it's just the art style. Considering it's supposed to be Empire Day +3 months they should be clones though. I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of 501st in this comic.

iPodwithnomusic and Vialco like this.
  6. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Are we sure it's supposed to be three months instead of three years?

7. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Matt Martin said it was a year.

8. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Yes, otherwise the Ahsoka novel is contradicted. 6th Bro died ~1 year after the end of the Clone Wars

9. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Where did he say that?

10. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014

spicer likes this.
  11. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Thanks. I wonder if they'll change the line in the comic for re-download? I doubt it, but it would be nice to make these things consistent.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The next bit:

SLJ: Was there a body?
    LFL: Uh, what?
    SLJ: I'll say it slowly: Was. There. A. Body?
    LFL: Why's it matter?
    SLJ: Because... If there is. No. Body. Then Mace ain't dead and I get my damn movie.

13. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Oh geez, I forgot @spicer already posted that tweet on the first page of this thread. Sorry spicer, I should've remembered and quoted your post to credit you for finding and sharing it. Heck, I probably first saw it here and not during my occasional trawling of Matt Martin's Twitter.

Singing this issue's praises: I really like the way Camuncoli draws Mon Cals and Quarren (and ships, and buildings, and most everything else). Cool design for King Lee-Char's shell throne, too. I also enjoyed the bearing of all of the Mon Cal characters and their forthright reprimands of the ambassador, the Inquisitors, and Vader. Especially the way Ackbar speaks toward them here and toward Han in SW #44 ("the criminal", "Are you in charge now?") -- sometimes you get fresh reminders of how much you enjoy a character, y'know?

(Darn it, we need an :ackbar: smiley.)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  14. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    No worries :)

15. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'd hate it if Mace survived ROTS, just because all the kooks who kept changing his Wookieepedia page using SLJ's opinion as a basis would come back and say: "See? We were riiiight."

16. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I for one am just sick of dead characters being brought back to life.
    Once upon a time, when someone died in this franchise, they stayed dead.[face_frustrated]

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That only lasted until 1991! It’s been nearly thirty years since dead meant dead in this franchise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MandaloreRex2015 and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Dude, Ackbar is such a boss in this episode. I love that neither Vader or the Inquisitors scare him. THIS is the kinda Ackbar content I crave. :cool:

--Adm. Nick

19. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I am loving this series, I just hope we can get a Mon Cal that stays on this planet and survives. Or at least lives, like the King. I am scared they will pull a Luminara with him.

20. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Digital edition of DV13 had been amended to say one year by Palps as well as the opening crawl. Likely TPB will feature this correction

21. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Darth Vader #17 solicit.
    [​IMG]
    DARTH VADER #17
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (A)
    Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI & ELIA BONETTI
    GALACTIC ICON VARIANT COVER BY ROD REIS
    As the remnants of the Mon Cala resistance crumble into the seas, Vader and his Inquisitors finally confront the Jedi survivor at its core. The seas will weep…
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

22. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    I'm getting Kento Marek vibes. They're not going to canonize Starkiller, but there's no reason his Jedi father isn't fair game. Swap out Mon Cala for Kashyyyk and it's a similar setup to the Force Unleashed prologue.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  23. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    That almost looks like Obi-Wan!

Which is what the artist was trying to convene I assume.

themoth likes this.
  24. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Ok, IF the cover art shows a faithful depiction of the Jedi character (and we know how deceptive cover artwork can be), then we can rule out any of the alien characters (but maybe not the near human species like zabraks for example). We can also rule out Mace Windu, as based on the the exposed arms it is not a person of colour and he/she has two hands. Luminara is unlikely either, as mirialans have distinct skin colours, unlike the cloaked figure on the cover (well at least the skin colour doesn't look like Luminara's to me). Quinlan Vos? It's still possible, but based on the cover it could mean that he's lost his green lightsaber or maybe he still has it, yet the cover shows us a blue lightsaber in order to not spoil the reveal ;)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Gudenruben2 and cwustudent like this.
  25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Interesting how intentional they're being about not revealing who the Jedi is, even on the cover.

spicer likes this.