main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #13-18: Burning Seas (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, I'm sure E.K. Johnson didn't know anyone else would use 6Bro when she wrote Ahsoka; he was a villain written specifically for the novel. If they wanted to skip the comic timeline forward 3 years, they should've been more conscious about when 6Bro died.

AV-6R7 and spicer like this.
  2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm actually happy that the conquest takes place a mere year after ROTS. I was not happy to see them skip three years into the timeline. There's so much more I want to see of the first years of Empire.

3. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Wouldn't it be crazy if the Jedi on Mon Cala isn't Quinlan Vos but......Obi-Wan Kenobi. Yes, I know it sounds crazy, but this Jedi claims to know who Vader is and Vader said in ROTJ to Luke "Obi-Wan once thought as you do". What if Obi-Wan tried to reach Anakin's good side and this is the event that Vader is referring to. In Legends, their was a whole book series of Obi-Wan doing missions post-ROTS, and maybe he feels Luke is well protected and he wants to help the galaxy. Vader can knock him into the ocean and think he's dead and Vader won't be on guard to look for him anymore.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    The thought crossed my mind when I saw the cover, but I know that it's just what the writers want us to think. I think its more likely its Vos and they purposefully discolored the saber or it could be Mace with a new saber and they're deceiving us with the non-robotic arm.

5. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    It's a little weird. They definitely very much wanted this to be a timeskip, but oops, it isn't. To me that does less to the timeline (which isn't set, so now Mon Cal comes into play earlier and that's fine) but to the intention of the story and character development, and the visuals. Now that they've caught it they'll probably have to consciously ease back the appearance of later tech *and* Vader's characterization, which was doubtless meant to be that of someone more at ease with his Sith-ness due to the timeskip. No tragedy, but it does have consequences to the story that was meant to be told here.

Daneira likes this.
  6. Anslyder

Anslyder Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 8, 2018
    I don't know. It doesn't make sense for Obi-Wan to go all the way to Mon Cala and leave Tatooine behind soon after ROTS.

Obi-Wan did dwell in self pity for quite some time after the event and I don't think he had it in him to travel around the galaxy to see who need help.

Edit: Also, didn't Obi-Wan believe that Anakin was dead for couple of years before he find out that he is still alive?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  7. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    What if the Jedi is some new guy and the cover was just in that pose since it looked cool?

Also could maybe this sixth brother be a different sixth brother? What if when the other one died, they got a second sixth brother? That way it would make since to have a three year skip and the 6th brothers appearance would be more in line with the novel?

8. Anslyder

Mar 8, 2018
    How would a new Jedi know Vader = Anakin?

9. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Exactly. It can’t be Vos. Unless he used psychometry somehow

10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'll throw the name Ferus Olin out here again just for the sake to bring a bit of change in this thread from all the Quinlan speculation :p The chances that the Jedi in question is Olin are astronomically low, but whatever.

11. Anslyder

Mar 8, 2018
    I hope not. He is one of the legends characters that I don't want to see again.

cwustudent and Vialco like this.
  12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, also count me out as supporter of Ferus coming back.

He is like Ashoka: conveniently outta view in the films, but knows all the main characters, has a significant role, and is somehow smarter and luckier than all the other Jedi by avoiding Order 66 and confronting Anakin during the Purge, not before finding peace.

If Ahsoka is Filini’s omnipotent pet, Ferus was Watson’s.

Neither deserve to be in SW in my brutally honest opinion.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Darth_Pevra, cwustudent and Vialco like this.
  13. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I was a fan of Ahsoka for a long time, but the logical end to her story was death on Malachor at the hands of Vader. Now that she's been saved from that fate and is still around after ROTJ, I have to agree with you.

14. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    As someone on another forum pointed out, the Force stopped Vader from truly killing his master and apprentice. Granit his master became one with the Force, basically becoming a ghost, where Ahsoka was pulled through the portal, but the point still stands. I like this a lot, and I am already a self proclaimed huge Ahsoka fan, but I do want to say I am glad she is alive. I just hope they do lots more with her.

To tie this back to Vader, it feels like he just keeps getting screwed over, which sucks for him but is really interesting. He really has not had any super emotional victories on his path in the Dark Side, and I hope this comic keeps expanding upon this.

Now aside from that, I also want to point out that I did not like Revan from TOR and beyond, that was awful and I still love Revan, but they really messed him up imo.

15. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Ahsoka wasn't a serious match for Vader and neither was Obi-Wan. The latter had no choice but to lay down his life of his own will before Vader took it and the former only survived due to an violation of the rules of time and space. His victims may have lived on in a way or been spared by a miracle, but Vader's superiority was never in doubt.

16. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Ferus being the Jedi would make no sense. He doesn't (as far as we know) exist in nucanon. The comic could give the backstory on the spot but that would be messy. Besides being confusing, it would be anti-climactic. I think its Obi-Wan because they are trying to up the ante and make nu-canon unexpected and fresh like Maul returning and Ahsoka living. They aren't concerned about continuity. Pre-The Clone Wars, Anakin acted like his duel with Dooku on the Invisible Hand was the first time he dueled him since Geonosis. Now we know that Anakin faced him in combat a total of 6 times. The dialogue of ROTS before the duel was ruined. The only continuity rule that they oddly seemed to have kept is Grievous never meeting Anakin tills ROTS. That being said, I don't think they would preserve the fact that Obi-Wan dueled Vader on Mustafar and then 19 years later on the Death Star. They aren't afraid to add retcons..

17. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Most of the examples you gave was pre-Disney Star Wars led by George Lucas.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

18. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015

George had a hand in it yes but Filoni was the one who steered the ship. For example George originally didn’t want people to wear glasses in Star Wars and they gave the Blue Shadow Virus scientist glasses anyway. George has minimal control. The only thing he’s guilty of is the “touch ups” he made on the Original Trilogy.

19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The Jedi he's fighting on the cover of #17 does not appear to be Vos to me, the hair is too straight and not sporting his dreadlocks and the skin color too fair. Vos looked like a Berber in TPM. But the art could be deceiving and the hairdo could be changed of course. The outfit does seem to resemble Kenobi's ROTS, but Kenobi dressed in typical Jedi clothing anyway. Maybe its a new or prequel background or EU Jedi character or some test by Sidious.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  20. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Huh, never knew Quinlan Vos appeared in TPM. Thanks for that info!

21. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    They're clearly attempting to hide the Jedi's identity, so it's certainly somebody we have seen before.

22. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    [​IMG]

He's a background extra in the scene where Jar Jar and Sebulba encounter each other at the outdoor cafe. From the angle in the film, his face is almost completely obscured by the pole holding up the tent. The Legends explanation is that he's on an undercover mission, which is why he didn't say anything to Qui-Gon, but that doesn't explain why Qui-Gon is standing like two feet away from Vos and didn't recognize him.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  23. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    If I may be allowed to remove my "positivity" hat for a moment, this holds the honor of being my least favorite retcon of all time. Stating that "the guy who looks vaguely like Quinlan Vos" is in fact Quinlan Vos himself forces one to come up with really hokey reasons to explain why Vos is there, why he and Qui-Gon don't recognize each other or sense each other's presence through the Force, etc. And while hokey explanations aren't exactly an unknown quantity to Star Wars, it was just so unnecessary to create a retcon that requires them as much as this one does.

cwustudent and Daneira like this.
  24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't think it was a retcon, I think Jan just based Quin's appearance off that character. Doesn't negate your issue, but I think it was a deliberate choice of hers to make that character a Jedi. There's a mention of Quin's mission to Tatooine in some issue of Republic, and it's mentioned how he had no idea Qui-Gon was in such a desperate situation, or he would have broken his cover to help.

25. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    The problem with that is that it can make it seem like all the important stuff in the formation of the Empire took place shortly after ROTS. Like Vader did all his Jedi killing in the first year, and then just sat on his butt until ANH rolled around.