main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Darth Vader in Kenobi Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RX_Sith, Jul 18, 2020.

1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Right, the bar for this series is that the outcome of this new clash between Kenobi and Vader needs to be as impactful and consequential as their respective duels in ROTS and ANH. It's a tall task.

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    i think, and have always thought, that when Vader says “When I left you…” he’s referring to leaving Obi-Wan’s mentorship. In order words, he’s referring to the moment in ROTS when Anakin and Obi-Wan have their last talk before Obi-Wan goes off to find Grievous. That’s not going to change if they meet in between those moments. If fact they already did once—on Mustafar.

Mostly Handless and cwustudent like this.
  3. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    The way the movies are set up “obi wan once thought as you do” implies they have another meetup before the last one where obi tries to bring Vader back to the light.

4. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    If they do go that route though, I hope they do some setup, because there is no indication in Revenge of the Sith, when Obi-Wan left Vader to burn to death on Mustafar, that he thought there was still good in Anakin. Maybe a moment in the series is when Obi-Wan discovers that Vader is still alive and then he crosses paths with Luke briefly and sees that the boy is longing for his father.

However the duel between Vader and Obi-Wan happens I’ll be content as long as it is a moment that fits in the narrative of a story between these two characters, not just inserted for fan service, like Vader’s scene at the ending of Rogue One.

cwustudent and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Possibly but it could just be easily as read as that's what Vader thought Obi-Wan thought. Vader has quite a bit of self deception going on and at that point it's not like he still isn't working Luke.

As it stands now Vader is transferring what Padme said to him to Obi-Wan which is in character. Vader also says "Obi-Wan has taught you well." which indicates he thinks that Obi-Wan had been teaching him for a while so he's very obsessed with Obi-Wan.

In terms of the origin of the "Obi Wan once thought as you do” line it comes from the ROTJ script but the line got cut "I also thought he could be turned back to the good side. It couldn't be done. He is more machine now than man. Twisted and evil."

As that line didn't make the movie then Lucas didn't have to actually show that to be the case in ROTS and transferred it to Padme which makes a lot more sense.

That is going to be the pretty much the whole key to this series being actually good at it's core or just another Vader hallway scene. Looks awesome and is thrilling but doesn't really fit the narrative thread from R1 to ANH.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Mostly Handless and Obironsolo like this.
  6. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    • We need James Earl Jones. That deepfake voice tech should be up to the job now, and there's loads of JEJ dialogue they can feed it. They need to just pay him for whatever rights they need to do that in perpetuity.
    • No Obi-Wan vs. Vader duel. That's too much tinkering with foundation. Obi-Wan needs to be doing Jedi stuff / wipe / Vader is doing Sith stuff that is only distantly related.
    • There needs to be at least one big lightsaber fight. Maybe Vader kills Ventress or something like that? ...and how about a live action version of Obi-Wan killing Maul?

Duke Vadewalker likes this.
  7. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I think as long as they maybe show obi having some sort of change of heart feeling like he failed taking what Padme said to heart but then after that fight he’s like there’s no way I think it would be interesting though if at this moment they both couldn’t kill each other or obi could have taken out Vader but didn’t or something like that. I’m also to see Vader with the helmet off and see the anakin underneath.

Duke Vadewalker likes this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Darth Vader i think is literally with Kenobi on fo two main characters of this show and likley we get to see things from perspective. Like we see in comics and books, we see him without his mask in his chamber where meditates and thinks of his past. We know htere be flashbacks and we see him as Anakin Skywalker. We will see his castle on Mustafaar and he will talk with the emperor. We know mutch of the story will be with the empire.

9. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014

I think I remember in Luceno’s The Rise of Darth Vader there is a chapter where Obi Wan discovers that Darth Vader is alive when he previously thought him dead. Immediately, Obi Wan believes he needs to leave Tattooine to kill Vader to protect Luke. Now in the book, Qui Gon appears and tells Obi Wan that Luke is still safe because Vader will never come to Tattooine. But if the same thing happens in the series, minus Qui Gon speaking, that could set up a good reason for him to temporarily leave Tattooine and confront Vader if he believes Vader is a threat to Luke just by still being alive.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Kenobi is more likely to fight an Inquisitor than physically confront in a duel cyborg Vader.

The dialogue from Rebels and the OT does not lend itself to any face off before ANH despite whatever KK does with baiting the audience.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  11. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    You’re right that it doesn’t. The duel is happening though and since I passed into the acceptance phase I’m trying to brainstorm ideas where the execution is at least setup and earned in the confines of the series.

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Kenobi will first fight inqusitors and attack imperial targets with rebels to draw out Vader and then the finale is big match.

Sproj likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    So... KK was lying when she said they will fight?

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    No they will fight, OT or Rebels does not contradict it.

Sproj likes this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Going by the THR article it seems like he's playing Anakin, and maybe Vader, so probably better for a separate thread.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Okay thanks just wanted to check before making it

18. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I'm sorry I've been a but behind on Star Wars news.Anakin is going to be in Ahsoka?!

Deliveranze likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep. Hollywood reporter said so

20. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Vader and Obi-wan can certainly have a re-match. It might even be around the rebels start up era and Obi-wan is wondering whether this is a fight he should join, his return duel with Vader, wherever it is, makes him realise the importance of returning to being a hermit and not coming out of hiding. Maybe this is even around the time Maul goes looking for him and Ezra visits, this re-duel might even be what awakens the knowledge Kenobi lives. I have no idea if this is how it will go down and I think there are reasons this theory doesn't work as it is too close to ANH but just showing it could definitely work.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  21. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    I'm not entirely sure how I feel about a rematch between Vader and Kenobi, but I doo think it could horribly mess with the foundations of the lore if they screw it up. Having Kenobi fight Inquisitors and (maybe) Maul in an end-credit sequence is a lot safer.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  22. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I’m not worried about them screwing up the lore or chronology. They’ll make sure it fits.

23. Duke Vadewalker

Duke Vadewalker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 5, 2016
    Exactly. Based on what we've seen so far, I see no reason to believe the team aren't plotting the execution of this crucial scene down to every last detail, to ensure it fits in with both the OT and the PT as best as physically possible.

themoth likes this.
  24. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I'm not too worried about the canon implications of an Obi-wan vs Vader rematch because it should be easy enough to appreciate this series as only an alternate sequel or continuation of ROTS. If it fits perfectly into the whole saga then that would be awesome, but if not it should be enjoyable on its own, as long as it doesn't stink of course.

dogprivilege and Watcherwithin like this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "When I left you..." offers nice wiggle room. At the end of ROTS, Vader was not the one who left the other. He may as well have been muttering, "Come back here! I'll bite your legs off! Don't walk away from a legless man! Coward!".

Now Vader can be the one to technically leave.