main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Darth Vader in Kenobi Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RX_Sith, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    Having Vader and Kenobi meet would certainly undermine their confrontation on the Death Star, but if they ARE to meet in the show then it really shouldn't be on Tatooine.

There's a strong belief Vader wants to avoid visiting Tatooine because of his long association with the place and the bad memories he sustained there (ie Shmi dying). On top of this is the knowledge he has family there too, Owen and Beru (oh and his son as it turns out). The logic supporting this theory is he opts not to go to the surface himself to retrieve the DS plans in ANH when clearly it's his number 1 priority (capturing Leia notwithstanding). Sure it's a thin explanation, but certainly a viable one.

Now admittedly having Vader not go to Tatooine in ANH was clearly a plot device, but the reasoning above does kinda work and so it would be good if the producers of the Kenobi show respected this.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Mostly Handless and BRE like this.
  2. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    I like this explanation, and I believe they'd want to honor the consensus of fans on Vader's aversion to Tattooine.

Is the suggestion that Vader doesn't want to go there because he doesn't want to have to kill Owen and Beru? Sort of a foreshadowing of there still being some good in him? If so, I quite like that and it adds a layer to Vader that supports his eventual turn in ROTJ.

I would want them not to meet on Tattoine as well, purely because I feel like Vader would pick up on a Force-sensitive, especially one that shares his blood, if he was that close to Luke's home.

3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    They can't meet on Tatooine because then Vader will know he is on Tatooine.

4. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    A meeting in the WBW or even visions where Palpatine links their minds?

5. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    I'm personally against them actually meeting up. But I have no issue with a cat and mouse game that's never satisfied until ANH.

Also, maybe Kenobi regularly visits other parts of the galaxy in his early exile, for all we know. Maybe people think he's a hermit because they never see him, but in reality, they never see him because he's never there. I could see that being a thing in this show. And maybe he attracts the attention of Vader or the Inquisitors and it makes him decide to stay closer to Tattoine after that.

BRE likes this.
  6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    They should have Obi Wan use a force projection to confront Vader. That way Sidious would write off Obi Wan's appearance to Vader as a force vision. After Obi Wan uses it, his body ages rather than him dying. Because he's younger than TLJ Luke and never forsakes the force.

7. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    They could have Vader show up on the Holonet which Obiwan sees on Tatooine.

wobbits and BRE like this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This has always been my ideal scenario. Whether it is Vader being on Tatooine for some well-written reason and Obi Wan keeping himself and Luke hidden or (my preference) Obi Wan skulking about Vader's haunted house on Mustafar and managing to always be one room away from Vader.

9. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    I'd still prefer Vader never visit Tattoine at all, but as long as he never puts the idea of Obi-Wan and Tattoine together, I guess it would be OK.

I just think a wistful, depressed, and angry person like Vader is would try to at least visit his mother's grave if he was there, if not check up on the Lars homestead. And then that gets so close to discovery that it hits the in the 'hard to suspend disbelief' area. But ever since I imagined an obsessed Vader chasing clues of Kenobi, I REALLY want that to be part of this series.....just somewhere else in the galaxy. (Ya know, elsewhere, elusive.......)

10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The comics have had Vader visit Tattooine. So I don’t think it’s off limits for a TV show.

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    But that was after ANH.

Darthur C. Clarke and Shamear like this.
  12. Lobey-One Kenobi

Nov 30, 2009
    This would be great, I don't feel like we've seen enough of the Holonet in live-action either.

The mustafar thing would be a great season finale, with Vader chasing him off Mustafar rather than them duelling. Maybe he notices a hooded figure and he believes it's Obi but he never sees his face to determine it.

themoth and Darthur C. Clarke like this.
  13. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    And while we're at it, we'll edit Vader's line in ANH from, "A presence I haven't felt since....." to, "A presence I have felt a few dozen times since." And we can have Obi-Wan help the Rebels too. Simple edit on Leia's plea to Obi-Wan. "You served my father in the Clone Wars, and last week when you helped that Rebel Cell, oh yeah, I almost forgot about the time you helped them a couple of years ago." Who cares if we have to eventually remake ANH in it's entirety just so we can cool lightsaber fights and other force stuff in this series about a hermit.

DarthWolvo23 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  14. Lobey-One Kenobi

Nov 30, 2009
    You have a point with the presence line, in that case it probably would be best not for them to be close enough for Vader to know he's nearby.

The rest of your points are a little hyperbolic though. There's no reason why Obi helping various Rebel cells in-between any explorations he takes would be noticed as him himself. If he goes around in a hooded robe, it'd just be a small urban myth that there's an 'old Jedi who helps out where he can', which could be how Leia deduces it's Obi Wan based on stories she's heard and decides to try and convince him to help more signifcantly.

The series certainly isn't going to result in ANH needing to be remade. At least give it a chance before you assume that.

15. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Yes, it was a bit of over the top hyperbole. I don't deny that. But the point is how much are you (not you personally) willing to tinker with the continuity? What point does it become too much? Even small amounts of tinkering can have ripple effects much larger than a simple line. Vader goes and has a conversation with Tarkin after his line about a presence. You've now altered that conversation, as well. And you've lessened the importance and the impact of the Obi-Wan/Vader duel on the Death Star. It's no longer a long sought after chance for Vader to get redemption against his former master who he believes betrayed him. It's now just another spat between two force users.

Some things are best left untouched. This is one of those things. Leave his time as a hermit watching over Luke alone. They are plenty of other areas to explore.

BRE likes this.
  16. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Are you saying that Kenobi shouldn't be made at all?

17. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think having Obi Wan and Vader meet again before a new hope would be very complicated. especially with tying things back up for episode 4. because right now you could argue episode 3 is a fine place to end that last meeting. so to do it again means it has to end in an exact same similar fashion. and maybe its not worth going there just to get another onscreen meeting.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't make an Obi Wan show though. plenty of things you could do with it.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  18. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    No, I'm saying Kenobi set in this time frame should not be done. If they wanted to expand on his prequel era story, fine. Or give us a young Obi-Wan adventure series, no problem. This is just a time period that is best left alone. Every adventure he goes on has the potential to undermine the continuity leading into ANH. Rebels got really close to this by having him dispatch Maul in Kenobi's and Maul's connections to and power with the force potentially making waves to the point that Vader would have been able to sense their presence and be able to go kill Obi-Wan. It's a fine line. How it was done in Rebels left wiggle room to justify Vader not sensing anything, but at the same time didn't do justice to Maul's hatred for Obi-Wan, nor his longstanding quest for revenge. Obi-Wan is one of my all-time favorite characters, but his time watching over Luke needs to be left alone.

AndyLGR likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Couldn’t disagree more. An Obi-Wan sojourn in exile sounds much more interesting to me than the adventures of a young Obi padawan.

BRE likes this.
  20. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Have you ever agreed with me? [face_laugh]

I'm not saying it couldn't be done. I'm not saying they can't make an interesting story set in that time frame. The problems arise in that instead of taking the canon and seeing what can be built off of that, it is mostly a case of making a story and then seeing how they can fit it in with as little disruption as possible. But even a little disruption can have larger ripple effects on the canon.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Riv_Shiel and Bor Mullet like this.
  21. Lobey-One Kenobi

Nov 30, 2009
    Fair enough, I can't argue with that one really. Maybe as @StarWarsFan91 said, having Kenobi discover Vader's existence via the HoloNet would be enough. He assumes Anakin died at the end of ROTS, but in ANH and subsequent films is quite in-the-know that Vader was formerly Anakin. That lends itself to the show exploring it in some way, in my opinion.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  22. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    If they choose to explore it, or any adventure for Obi-Wan, there is a right way to do it. Too often we've seen a story be made and then see how we can fit it into the canon with as little disruption as possible. Rebels did that for four years, but I digress. It needs to be the other way around. Take the established canon, and build a story around it. Rogue One is the prime example of this being done and being done well. Follow their lead.

BRE likes this.
  23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Except we have to take the context of Disney into consideration. Does Rogue One really make sense to ANH? No, not really. It's a better follow-up to ROTS because that's clearly the Anakin we know who now as Vader is doing his thing in the hallway. We've seen it before on Mustafar.

By the same context a Kenobi series with HC as Anakin and Vader is going to be a follow-up to ROTS far more than leading towards ANH. Even in the Lucas context ANH is the only movie where at the time of production the intent was Vader had not been Anakin previously.

My point would be that expecting that strong a fealty to Lucas' work at this point is simply not what they are about. That is what I'm taking into consideration anyway. If they were really about intense fidelity to Lucas' work then everything they've done in the movies would be quite different.

24. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Rogue One is NOT a follow up to ROTS.[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl] No matter how much you pretend it is or want it to be. It's a direct lead into A New Hope.
    So because when Lucas originally wrote ANH without the intent of Anakin and Vader being the same person, that automatically makes the Kenobi show a ROTS sequel? And it doesn't matter if it's a follow up to ROTS, those events are in the past, and the events of ANH are established in the future. If you start messing things up so the events of the future make no sense, was it worth getting this "ROTS follow up"? Or is it because Hayden Christensen is going to be in the suit that automatically makes it a follow up? If we use HC's voice will that make it a follow up? Next you're going to tell me because they didn't use Peter Mayhew in Chewbacca's suit in Solo it automatically makes that a ROTS sequel. By that logic, the ST is now a direct follow up to ROTS.
    Based on your comments, they could kill off Obi-Wan in the show even though it would invalidate the remaining 6 movies in the series, and it would be OK all because Disney has no real fidelity to Lucas' work. Or maybe Disney can insist on having the show take place on Naboo instead because they have no fidelity to Lucas' work. Oh wait, that would directly contradict ROTS. Would that mean it's no longer a direct follow up to ROTS?
    Look, when creating a show about characters within a certain timeline, with certain preordained outcomes, there is a huge level of risk involved in not disrupting hte timeline nor the outcome. I'm not saying it cannot be done. I'm not saying they can't write a great story. All I'm saying is certain characters in certain timelines with certain outcomes should be left alone. Or do it the right way. Take the canon and write a story that fits within what has been established, just like Rogue One did. Don't write a story and hope to fit it in with as few disruptions to the canon as possible, because once you establish that a few are ok, then it becomes a few more, and a few more. And this isn't even taking into consideration the ripple effect of what becomes disrupted. What would you think if Disney created a new show that changed the entire PT and made it so someone other than Anakin became Vader? Disney has no real fidelity to Lucas' work, after all.

AndyLGR likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Does this really need to be said for the millionth time? Disney does not run Star Wars- LucasFilm does. Bob Iger and his replacement might give high level mandates from time to time, but they and the rest of the larger Disney company do not have anything to do with the vast majority of Star Wars content.

Have there been hiccups here and there? Sure, but guess what- every company has them. Constantly moaning about how terrible Star Wars has become is nothing more than cognitive dissonance at this point, especially when moaning about things that haven't even been released yet.

Like ffs give it a rest. Otherwise I'll put my actual mod voice on and consider it nothing more than trolling.

El_Machete12 and Krueger like this.