main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader's death.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by CyberSm0ke, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CyberSm0ke

CyberSm0ke Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    Give this some thought:
    Palpatine spoke of his master being able to keep himself alive through the Dark Side. After Anakin's fight with Obi-wan, when Palpatine found Anakin legless and burnt, he proclaimed with a noticable degree of suprise that, "He's still alive." In my eyes, that hints towards Anakin having learned the ability himself to defy death. In Return of the Jedi, after Vader throws Palpatine into the shaft, he falls to his knees and succumbs to death. Now, most think that his resperators(sp) shorted out, due to the lightning; don't you think that's a little bit dumb? For the DARK LORD of the SITH, to be prone to such a quick, and easy death? In my eyes, Anakin DID learn the ability to keep himself alive in Revenge of the Sith, and by the time the events in Return of the Jedi took place, Anakin/Vader let go of the Dark Side, fulfilling the prophecy by bringing balance to the force, and at the same time finally releasing the hatred that he kept inside him, that which kept him alive. What do ya'll think?

2. DARK_HELMET_05

DARK_HELMET_05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    could be one way of looking at it.

3. Darth_Trip

Darth_Trip Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2003
    Palpatine plainly states that he has not learned how to cheat death but with Anakin's help they could figure it out.

where would Anakin have the time to learn how to do this anyway? his turn is so quick he goes from Mace to the Temple to Mustafar.

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Darth Vader didn't die until the very end of Return of the Jedi.

5. SSIntimidator

SSIntimidator Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Having your legs and arm cut off won't kill you. Nor will burns once the flames burn out. If Vader was still on fire when Palpatine reached him then you have a theory.

6. Darth_Sideous

Darth_Sideous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Now, most think that his resperators(sp) shorted out, due to the lightning; don't you think that's a little bit dumb?

Actually no, it's not dumb, it's just common sense. Vader can't breathe on his own. That's the reason he's in a sealed suit to begin with. Destroy the electronics that let him breathe, and he suffocates. It's no more complicated than that. When someone is on life support, what happens when you turn the machines off?

7. DARTHFETT88

DARTHFETT88 Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    I agree with that...it might not be that he learned how to cheat death, but I believe that his hate and anger helped to keep him alive.

something i read(i believe shadows of the empire)showed that vader was able to breathe outside of his mask and meditation area for a few minutes by using his anger and hate but the minute he felt relief he lost this power. I know this isn't cannon, but it could back up that the dark side(anger/hate) is what is keeping him alive all these years, and without it he would have died.

8. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I think Vader was breathing unassisted before the mask was lowered because the operating room was somehow helping him breathe in the same manner as the meditation chamber in the ESB.

9. Bobo_Maul

Bobo_Maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2001
    Palpatine spoke of his master being able to keep himself alive through the Dark Side.

Palps tells Anakin that his master could keep others alive but not himself. That's how he was able to kill him in his sleep.

10. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Having your legs and arm cut off won't kill you. Nor will burns once the flames burn out.

Guess again. Suffering burns over 80%+ of your body is lethal.

And I didn't think Sidious sounded surprised at all that Vader was still alive. I thought he sounded more excited, more impressed. More like he was simply confirming that Vader was everything he thought he was.

11. CyberSm0ke

May 26, 2005
    I was assuming that the injuries which led to him requiring respiration were endured after ROTJ; none of the injuries Anakin suffered in Revenge would have led to him needing an artificial means of breathing. --And as for Anakin being able to learn the ability in such a short time, he was the chosen one. Look what Luke accomplished with such little training. When Anakin/Vader was told that Padme was dead, and he was to blame for it, he freaked out - you could almost feel the Dark Side coming out of the threatre's screen. Not even Palpatine had that much force flowing through him, IMO. I think his hate, and anger kept him alive.

12. CyberSm0ke

May 26, 2005
    "Palps tells Anakin that his master could keep others alive but not himself. That's how he was able to kill him in his sleep."

You're right there, I overlooked that; which puts a decently sized hole in my theoroy, but I think it's worth pondering just the same.

13. AHAMODE

AHAMODE Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    There is also the possibility that everything Palps told Anakin was BS and just used to seduce him.

14. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    none of the injuries Anakin suffered in Revenge would have led to him needing an artificial means of breathing

Yeah, cause burning your lungs doesn't hinder them in the least...

15. architiger

architiger Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    well, since the mask is required for him to breathe (24/7)... how does he eat or drink? in his chamber? by tube? (maby is wasnt the ligtning that shorted out his apparatus...maby he just needed a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk.)

16. dark_lord_jarjar

dark_lord_jarjar Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2004
    I really do love the thought of Anakin keeping himself alive all that while somehow, but I think it's clear he wasn't. Well maybe in some way on Mustafar before Palps arrived and rescued him. But let's face it, Vader dies because the lightning shorts out his breathing thing-a-ma-bob. You must believe the weird wheezy breathing sounds Vader makes when attempting to breath before he dies were done for a reason don't you?

Unfortunately we don't always get the character deaths we want. Who here really wanted Padme to die of a broken heart? After all the terrible acting we put up with, that's all we get?

17. Leswitt_Oratt

Leswitt_Oratt Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    I don't think he eats or drinks anything. The suit is keeping him sustained. everything in him is burnt beyond physical repair(though why, if there's a level of technology to replace limbs, can't they replace organs). Really, Ani's brain and eyes(and to an extent his voice, are all he's left with.

18. Darth-Mule

Darth-Mule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    Vader's hate kept him alive. Only when he let go of it, in ROTJ did his life begin to fail. That's why his last words were "I hate you".

19. SithLord4488

SithLord4488 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    i guess you could look at it that way

20. Nihilist

Nihilist Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
    Yeah he seems to be living on anger, hate, and suffering until luke comes into his life an makes him see and helps him find the parts of himself he lost. And he dies in the process of rediscovering his life because it took that act of not fearing death, and being selfless that led him to the truth of what it meant to be alive and to transcend it.

21. CyberSm0ke

May 26, 2005
    none of the injuries Anakin suffered in Revenge would have led to him needing an artificial means of breathing

Yeah, cause burning your lungs doesn't hinder them in the least...

--I must have missed the scene where his lungs were burnt, was it no-smoking message subliminally hidden in the movie, or was it a deleted scene that only you saw on the special edition DVD that only you own? He caught fire; it burnt him badly yeah, but not to the point where his internal organs were exposed.

22. AHAMODE

AHAMODE Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Last I checked, breathing in the smokey remains of your flesh is probably not that healthy for your lungs.

23. dark_lord_jarjar

dark_lord_jarjar Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2004
    Then why dont we just say that it was "the will of the force" that he stayed alive all those years so he could eventually carry out the prophecy, and when he did then the force sustained him no longer.

But the day hate and anger keeps someone alive is the day road rage, swearing at my neighbor because his dog won't shut up, and almost having a heart attack over getting the same annoying telemarketers calling me, become the real fountain of youth.

"A dose of the dark side a day keeps the doctor away!"

24. Master-Norway

Master-Norway Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2004
    "Having your legs and arm cut off won't kill you. Nor will burns once the flames burn out. If Vader was still on fire when Palpatine reached him then you have a theory. "

I think you could die from losing your legs and arms and in addition all the burns. You can die of 2nd grade burns if it covers more than 75 % per cent or so after what I've heard. Anakin actually catches fire so I would expect that to be 3rd grade burns. When you get your arm and both your feet cut off I would assume you would go into a shock too. So I think the reason Anakin/Vader survived was because of his hatred. Just look at him before Palps arrives. He is crawling up the bank and refuses to give up.

25. Tedakin

Tedakin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    Yeah my new theory is that Palpatine was using the power to keep Vader alive, and when he died Vader died. I think that's cool. Remember Vader says "nothing can stop that now." like he knew he would die since the Emperor had died.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.