main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Who? (Was: Jacen Solo: Darth-You-Pick)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ive_Got_Two_Legs, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I think it could quite easily become appropriate, if Jacen takes it straight after he's sacrificed whoever it is he is going to sacrifice for example:

Jacen: I earned this name through killing and slaughter and thus shall I take the name of killing and slaughter. The old makes way for the new. Jacen Solo is dead. Darth Caedus lives.

Wow... The name grows on me more and more each second.

2. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Okay, I have finally decided on a name: Darth Caedus

It's not Darth Solus....but well, nothing will ever be.

3. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Oh, I like the name. I just really hope that they make it so it's appropriate for him if it wins, that's all.

In fact, I'm surprised how many bitter cynics we have around here. (*is not actually surprised*) At least three of those are just fine, and I'd lump Judicar in with them except that it just doesn't roll off the tongue the right way for me. Caedus sounds great with that pronounciation, and both Paxis and Acheron have nice rings to them. The only questionable one to me is Talas, and that's mostly because I just don't know what the hell it's supposed to mean or represent... and it does sound like more of a female Sith's name.

And yeah, Solus would've been horrendous.

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I, too, have no idea why people liked Solus so much.

Wouldn't "Caedus" get people confused with "Cade Skywalker"?

5. ConservativeSoldier

ConservativeSoldier Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    Understandable. To be fair, I haven't bashed you--I just happen to think Acheron is the niftiest behind Solus.

6. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, they're pronouced differently, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

It sounds so much better than it looks.

"Darth KYE-dus. Lord KYE-dus. KYE-dus... you must confront KYE-dus, then, and only then, a Jedi will you be" etc.

7. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Nah, they just have to make it so the pronounciation is evident when he's named.

"Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth... Caedus." Lumiya declared.

*Jacen turns to the reader*

"And that's pronounced Kai-dus, not Cade-us. Got it memorized?" said Jacen.

8. starlit_goddess

starlit_goddess Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2007
    QFT.

9. ConservativeSoldier

ConservativeSoldier Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    My reasoning for liking Solus is three-fold:

1. It's a play on Jacen's last name.
    2. It's derived from his actions, which are isolating him from everyone (i.e. Solo).
    3. It's a play on solace, which is ultimately what Jacen claims to be seeking--peace for the galaxy. Thus, he is taking solace that his goal justifies his actions.

It's a shame....

10. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, it's a new power called Fourthwallking.

11. Nieber-Gon-Jinn

Nieber-Gon-Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2006
    I totally agree
    But what can you do? There were bound to be some... odd names. I really hope that the authors just disregard the names and pic their own. No disrespect to the people who came up with the names but I wish that they were better.
    JN

12. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    The Contest Choosing Guide also seems to confirm something to me:

Lumiya's Dead :_|

I thought, since Jacen was getting his Sith name in this one, she would appear to give it to him, but well....it seems this is not to be so....

13. Nieber-Gon-Jinn

Nieber-Gon-Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2006
    I think Darth Immaulis would have been better because it comes from the word Immolate which means ritual sacrifice or self sacrifice. Isn't that what Jacen is doing, sacrificing everything for the betterment of the galaxy?

14. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Uh, yeah, if we keep in mind the boy's "personality/thoughts/motivations" (great phrasing there-- maybe Solo/Walker is official) he wouldn't be giving himself a Darth name.

Paxis and Judicar, with respect to their creators, are painfully bad names. Taral sounds feminine, Acheron is too long (and refers to real-world mythology), so that leaves Caedus, which at least has a decent ring to it. If pronounced properly, of course.

How are they going to take his "personality/thoughts/motivations" into account when giving him the name, anyway? Have him go "gee, well, I like to kill people, so I'll call myself "killer" but in Old Kuati?" Or just make random sounds until something clicks?

EDIT: I'm bummed there's no overtly stupid choice. Darth Jacen, Darth Solo, Darth Drater, Darth Htard, Darth Darth, or Darth pwNZorS (or whatever, I don't speak leet) would've been awesome. LotF is best enjoyed as a farce.

Also, Darth Jasa is hilarious.

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Paxis just looks and sounds lame to me. Judicar is a little too blatant for my taste. Not every Darth name needs to have a super-obvious meaning. Its most important job is to sound and look cool. Acheron is too overtly Greek. Taral sounds all right but isn't as catchy as Caedus.

That was my though process, anyway.

16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Or:-

Jacen looked at her expectantly, "Well?"

"What?" The Dark Lady asked, seemingly surprised, "You are your own master now, a true lord amongst the Sith. It is not my place to name you."

Jacen's brow furrowed, "But I... I don't know what do to. I..."

Lumiya cut him off, "You are Sith. You are as one with the dark side."

Even before she spoke the words, Jacen knew the truth of them and as he felt the dark side flowing through and around him, coursing through his veins, the first syllable of a name came to his mind... 'Kye'... it floated there for a time, as Lumiya continued; "Think on that, think on that and all you've done to get to this point. All you're going to do to achieve your vision. What you've sacrificed, what you've lost... and what you've gained."

The next, and final syllable hit him with a startling clarity.

"Caedus..." He said softly, "My name is Darth Caedus."

"Good." The Dark Lady intoned, "Now rise."

Something like that, but better, would be cool.

17. Rogue_Twelve

Rogue_Twelve Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2007
    My thoughts exactly.

18. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Oh gods. It didn't really sink in what a horrible idea this contest was until I saw the finalists.

My vote goes to Caedus as the best of a bad bunch. Not saying I could have come up with a better one though.

19. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I voted for Archeron. It narrowly edged out Caedus because, like it or not, people will associate it with Cade, whether it's pronounced Kaidus or not. Plus, Archeron is cool, and I like Greek mythology.

The other 3 were rubbish. :p

20. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Fixed :p

And then we know that Jacen won't survive to the end of the page :p

21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] =D= [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    I fixed it again too. [face_peace]

22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    edit: ignore, double post.

23. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Of course. There can never be another Kyle. Those that foolishly try to claim his name will perish in the fire of The Bryar Pistol!

24. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Lumiya's Dead :_|

Lumiya is not dead yet, the new Exile blurb tells that.[face_shhh] She might be dead by the end of Sacrifice, though, which would force Jacen to choose a Sith name himself.[face_thinking] But then Lumiya claimed to Jacen that she can never be a proper Sith Lord, so her giving a name for a new Sith Lord would not be wise from her part nor appropriate, even when she almost certainly lied.:)

25. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.