main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Who? (Was: Jacen Solo: Darth-You-Pick)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ive_Got_Two_Legs, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999

These are the best ... of what was submitted by a bunch of fanboys who have never written a published work in their lives. I'm sure that a panel of professional authors and editors could have come up with much better names. As it stands, because they made it a contest they were then forced to choose the 5 "best" submissions and then allow the fanboys to vote on those. I'd much rather have had a name decided upon by LFL. They would at least have come up with a name that makers sense. Upon a very quick search of these 5 names, the only one that I could find any meaning for was the first one, and it was a river in Egypt. Vader, Sidious, Maul, Tyrannus, and Plagueis are all very straight-forward names that you can understand without needing Google to tell you what they mean.

2. darthadimentsu

darthadimentsu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 24, 2007
    Taral presumably comes from Tarak, Sanskrit (Anakin was also a Sanskrit word) for 'he who protects' - and is far and away the best. We should want names that make us think about the meaning and its interpretation - not Ruin, Maleval, Krayt or worst of all Talon.

3. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    I'm a fangirl, not a fanboy, and I have been published, although the only printed and redistributed-by-somebody-other-than-me works are the results of an 8th grade short story contest, and a poem I wrote in college, neither of which I saw a penny for. [face_plain] The 50+ fanworks published on the Internet don't count... which might be for the best.

In any case, I Googled and Wikied Taral, and it appears that this meaning has been made up on the spot by LFL or Del Rey, which makes me really suspicious. I prefer Acheron, although I have to admit that Paxis, Judicar, and Caedus make some sense. Taral doesn't. Until they "retconned" it.

4. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Does a name really have to be derived from an anceint Mayan tongue to have signifigence in the SWU? sigh

I think that each of those names gives us some indication of the bearers personality. Krayt is obviously derived from Krayt Dragon, and in traditional western culture Dragons are seen as powerful, evil, and having an immeasureable love for treasure...though in Krayt's case this could be power. Maleval is ceried from malevalant, and from whatwe see of the character in Legacy #4 it fits him like a glove. Talon is the easiest of the whole group. She is her master's hand. Her only purpose for existing is to follow his orders, most of which have so far seemed to involve her swooping down and eviscerating things.

As for Ruin...well, time will tell. Maybe he's an incompetant Sith, and he's always accidentally ruining Krayt's plans.

(And I know sanskrit is Indian, BTW)

5. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    No, you have every right to comment here!!

The reason that I threw in the disclaimer at the bottom of my post was that I was well aware - even in my half-asleep condition - that what I was doing was, as you rightly say, "a little forced", driven by the need to find a meaning, rather than the abstract mechanics of word-formation... ;)

Thanks for the reply! :cool:

D'oh!! :oops:

*nods* Interesting - I suspected as much, though my knowledge of modern Welsh is limited to bluffing my way through road-signs. It's a bit more normal in medieval Welsh, which is where my (limited) knowledge comes from....

*nods* I'm mangling the pronunciation a bit. Bear in mind that the -uss comes from adding a Latin ending onto a word that's already been bounced about between Irish, Welsh, Old English and Ewok for the deliberate purpose of softening up the pronunciation.

I pretty much agree. Except that unlike this fudge, Ack's Latin isn't really faux at all...

... and now I come to think of it, caedes could probably just about mean "battle", too... and even a specifically "dark" battle in the metaphorical sense of one involving a lot of slaughter and gore...

[face_thinking]

Heh. And why not? There's a U2 song using the Irish version, "An Cat Dubh", which is very Jacen/Lumiya...

On the other hand, I have to admit that "Darth Acheron" is starting to sound better to me today - though I think it's too cool for Jacen... the metatextual possibilities of retrospectively identifying Jacen with Acheron Hades amuse me...

It has the advantage of having one meaning, and one pronunciation, and not being caught between LFL and the fans... :p

*sigh* [face_tired] o_O

- The Imperial Ewok

6. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    They're all okay, I suppose.

I voted for Caedus myself - being submitted by someone from the JC was enough to push it over the top in my mind ;)

7. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    [face_laugh] =D=

8. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005

9. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    It really is lame that LFL&DR went and invented themselves a meaning - which is clearly chosen to make people vote it - for "Taral", a word that apparently does not mean anything in the real world (if it comes from Tarak in Sanskrit, then why it can not be Tarak?). I would call this cheating.:(

10. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Yeah its rediculous really, it would of been better if they had let the fans send in a short meaning for their darth name, just a couple of sentances, that might of allowed more creativity. As is it seems obvious they made up this meaning, if not the name itself.

I was also irritated they didn't put the meanings up strait away, especially as some were not all that easy to find from a google search.

11. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Yeah if that was the case I doubt i'd have voted for Paxis. [face_plain]

12. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    As peeved that I am that Taral got an official boost from having a "Sith definition" I don't think it is a Lucas plant. I mean it sounds like it is derived from a real word that means "He Who Protects"

That being said continue voting for Darth Caedus who is the peoples choice and was clearly made up by someone other that Lucas/Del Rey.[face_peace]

Vote for who ever you want though, they are all somebody's submission and whether you vote for mine or not you will make one (or more) FANS really happy.

-The Rebel Gungan

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    How is Judicar pronounced btw?

Is it "joo-DEE-car"? Or can it be pronouced "joo-DISS-ar"? Because the latter sounds a lot better than the former. It has a ring of "Judas" to it as well...

14. Nieber-Gon-Jinn

Nieber-Gon-Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2006
    The only reason you're gunna win is because your name is the best out of five bad names. It is pretty good but I still thing they should have chosen a name that meant something like "sacrifice".
    BTW i refuse to vote
    JN

15. Rogue_Twelve

Rogue_Twelve Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2007
    We admire your moral courage. [face_praying]

16. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I won't be voting either.

I was very excited to learn that fans would be able to create and vote on Jacen's Sith name, but after seeing the extremely lously five choices, I think this was a huge mistake. I rather that the authors have picked it or George Lucas himself. I have to believe that there were better names offered, so the selection commitee blew it too. I can't imagine that Jacen is going to to be Darth oneofthosefivenames. There terrible. No more naming contests.

17. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    i chose the name beginning with A,

I felt a bit let down by the 5 chosen, but maybe they did it deliberately...

18. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    You've seen the suggestions posted here and elsewhere - are you saying out of all of those, you didn't see any that were good? I understand that fans can produce some crappy stuff, but your argument seems to be that the fans can't make a good name at all.

I think, out of the entire fanbase, five good names can be produced. And if five good names (by whatever standard he judge them to be good) exist, and LFL doesn't choose them, then they obviously don't have the same ideas as us about what's good. And if that's the case, then whether they pick from the fan selection or make up their own, it's not going to be one we think is good. You seem to be saying that those hypothetical five names that you'd like weren't there at all, and LFL chose bad names because there were none better. Now, I disagree, because I've personally seen names that I liked better than some on this list. The fact that LFL didn't chose them has nothing to do with it being a fan contest, and everything to do with their taste in good Sith names evidently not being the same as my own (which, assuming they made up their own name, would be just as much a problem).

19. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I'm not voting because the entire concept, from Jacester going Darth to having a contest is absurd.

The names, while far from stellar, aren't dreadful. I mean, sheesh, Karnage? Kruhl? Ruyn? Stryfe? Maul? Plagueis? Darth names tend toward shockingly bad. I'm half expecting to see a Darth Scarz next.

20. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    :eek: Dark Tesar!! :p

- The Imperial Ewok

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    People keep complaining that all the names suck. Well, they're a reasonably diverse lot. What kind of name would you want? What would be good enough for you?

22. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    What would be good enough for you?

That's a damn good question. Chances are the answers are going to be things like, Darth Meanie, Darth Grrrrrr, Darth 1337, Darth Suxlol, Darth Idiotlmao and Darth Solus.

:p

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I just discovered Invidious was a word... so... uh Darth Vidious?

(To clarify, I'm not being serious)

I'm not sure, in all honestly - Darth names are hard to come up with.

Darth Vidus maybe? (A bastardised version of the above) A huge rip-off like "Darth Vadus" wouldn't have bothered me too much either. Darth Avarus/Darth Varus? Perhaps. On the whole I wanted a strong "V" sound.

Vader is the original and best. None of the others even approach it.

24. Lord-DarthMerrick

Lord-DarthMerrick Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 5, 2003
    Why isn't anyone else jumping on the Darth Darth bandwagon?

25. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    You forgot Darth's Pestilence, Famine and (my personal creation) the Lord Darth Morose... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.