main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph David Farland's Runelords series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue...Jedi, Nov 26, 2009.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Possibly not, if there's no new info. Would this be a continuation of story 2 or would it be story 3?

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Continuation of story 2, because story 2 definitely doesn't have a conclusion yet :p

8 (Chaosbound) is very different from 5-7, but only because it leaves the characters we've been following for the previous two books and focuses on someone else the whole time... but in contrast to Goodkind doing this with a random new character, the focus of Chaosbound is on one of the early original characters (I won't say who, but just that its someone you've definitely already met). So it doesn't feel so weird like that book in Sword of Truth (Pillars of Creation, I think it was?).

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ah, yes, Pillars of Creation. Cue head-desk smiley.

That's good :) I really hope we get some news soon, though - I can already tell I'll have no patience in waiting for the next book 8-}

4. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, there's some major changes by the time you get to books 6-7 (and 5, to a much lesser extent). I didn't like 6&7 all that much when I first read them... but enjoyed them much more this time around.

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I got about a hundred pages into Wizardborn, got distracted, and forgot about it 8-} The thing with Gaborn is making me really think, and I'm anxious to get back into it now :D Anyone else (besides RJ) reading them?

6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Ive read up to book 5 and really enjoyed them. I have book 6 to read.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Hmm, I should look and see if there's any news about book 9 out there.

Also, by the normal pattern, book 8 should be out in paperback now, so I should go get my copy. Haven't seen it, but haven't really looked, either.

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Let me know how you like that too - RJ said he liked it better the second time, IIRC.

Ooo, yes, please :D I'm afraid to check out his site in fear of being spoiled :p

9. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    How many books is the second act supposed to be even? Books 5 through what?

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Guess the paperback version of Chaosbound (book 8) just came out... but I can't find anything about the next one. No idea how long this story arc will run - its books 5-8 so far and its definitely not over yet.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    :( Wasn't Chaosbound released in '08? And now it's technically '11 - I wonder why there hasn't been any word.

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Chaosbound came out (hardback) in October 09, and according to Amazon, the paperback came out at the end of December 10 - a little longer than the normal difference, but not too much so. But most books in the series have only been a year apart, and to not have any word of the next... is surprising, to say the least.

13. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I have wondered if this series was canceled or something....

I have looked on Farland's Runelords website, and sites like Fantasticfiction and haven't sen any news about the next novel...

I want the series to finish, but I don't like the direction he took the story in.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I didn't like it either at first, but I liked it a lot more last time I read it :)

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Odd. You'd think there would be info on the next book, or at least some sort of word from him.

16. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I picked up the first book (again; I read it last summer for the first time) during Christmas, but set it down. I'm sorry, but the characters just weren't working for me. :(

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That actually kind of surprises me; I remember you saying you weren't really into them.

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I was trying again. :p Unfortunately, it seems that Runelords has defeated me and I'm going back to my absurdist plays and my Shakespeare. :p

There's really not much that can be done if I don't click with the characters. I've turned into such a character-focused person (possibly the end result of too much "literary fiction" and too many acting classes ;) ) that if the characters are unsatisfying, the plot will not hold me to the book, no matter how exciting, twisty or cool it may be or how interesting the magic system is.

Though admittedly, the magic system was a highlight. :) I think I've said that before. :p

19. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah its def. a noteworthy system.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Sad you didn't like it, though :(

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm still just a couple hundred pages into Book 4. I haven't picked it up since June 8-} I just don't like the series much anymore, though I'll probably read the other books (or try to) out of curiosity.

RJ mentioned in another thread that Book 9 is due out soon-ish and is the last book in the series.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I was oh-so-close to unlocking and upping this thread yesterday myself, then decided not to bother... and did a double take seeing it unlocked today [face_laugh]

Book 6 is where it starts to really get weird and different, but rereading it has let me understand it better and really enjoy it much more than I did the first time through. Of course, that said, the original storyline is really just the first 4 books - starting in book 5, the storyline is no longer Gaborn/Iome, but focused on Fallion, their son.

I'm really surprised that book 9 is going to be the last, because it doesn't seem that close to being complete, but I guess we'll see. Hopefully it'll be a longer book, much like the first ones in the series - it seems like the books have been getting shorter and shorter.

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Great minds and all :p

I'm going to try to finish Book 4 soon-ish, but after that, I need another break 8-} After Book 9 comes out, I might finish them. At the moment, I don't like them enough to continue reading without a solid end-date.