main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Dawn of the Jedi Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by s65horsey, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd have loved to meet the Daritha of the Infinite Empire.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Hmmmm. Assuming there was one, or assuming it was not a red skinned Sith at the heart of the Infinite Empire...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Half breed perhaps? A scandalous Rakatan/Sith hybrid who fought to showcase superiority and no further questioning over his/her heritage while they went on to become Daritha of the Infinite Empire and thereby the most powerful person in the galaxy of the era.

Dun dun dunn...

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Soa fits some of those ideas... But he was 27,700 BBY.

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    So why I have missed this fan club, IDK. Please do not force kick me to Bogan. I was so bummed when the series was cancelled. Still my most fave EU. Finally doodled my first bit of fan art tonight...

[​IMG]

6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I doubt there were any Sith or Sith hybrids at the top of Rakatan society. The Rakatans were especially not kind to species that resisted them.

Though a Sith Je'daii was a fascinating concept.

Tython Awakening and Master_Lok like this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Well Soa led a rebellion against the Infinite Empire with the aid of the Infernal Council, which included Sith that betrayed Adas. His ‘Infernal Empire’ stretched from Korriban around the Outer Rim to Belsavis. In my mind he made a deal with Adas thus him mastering Sithspawn techniques and having amplified Force powers in an era when Rakata were losing Force strength and skills.

Xo, Alzoc III and Seylott being among his holdings, beyond Korriban itself. His rule would post-date the evacuation of Korriban for Ziost (or perhaps he precipitated it) and possibly his territory included the proto-Sith worlds such as Tund and Arbra.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  8. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    I didn't dislike this series, but I thought it was the weakest of the Ostrander/Duursema works.

9. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    True. I wonder if that was because they had to wrap up early due to canon apocalypse. But yes, while interesting, it was also a bit derivative of their other series.

However, I do wish the NEU would produce some Ostrander/Duursema story.

Tython Awakening and spicer like this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Seems the skill Force Shadow in DotJ was also the skill that Luke used in TLJ.

Also the Phantom skill in Betrayal and the doppelgänger skill Luke used in Dark Empire is one and the same.

Now that’s cool.

11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I guess we'll never know for sure how good this series could or would have been, but I'm sure it suffered because of the license loss and the canon reboot. I understand the criticism that this series was somewhat derivative of Republic and Legacy especially when it came to the characters, but I thought that the world building, setting and implementation of previously outlined lore was brilliant.

DarthJaceus and Tython Awakening like this.
  12. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Yes, the amount of lore and exploration of some of the long standing mysteries of the SW history was great. I liked how Into the void played into that too. Though with the novel it seemed somewhat deliberately very open, like more was coming too.

13. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    More would have been coming I'm sure if the canon reboot had not happened.

But DOTJ was an interesting era for sure-utterly unconnected to the movies in a way that KOTOR and Legacy weren't even.

Esh-kha and darklordoftech like this.
  14. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I'm stoked to find this thread. Maybe I haven't dug around enough in the EU threads.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Jedi Path (pub circa 2010-2011-ish) tied in directly to Dawn of the Jedi. The Old Republic MMO also came out in December 2011. The Old Republic comics go back to later end of 2009 I think (in web form and as convention exclusive mini comic for SDCC). Dawn of the Jedi 0 and Issue 1 hit the stands in January and February 2012, respectively.

Lucasfilm (pre-Disney purchase and George retirement) tied everything together with George Lucas still on board. Phantom Menace 3D has its theatrical release on February 10, 2012. Notice how January-February 2012 kicked off a year for SW renaissance with TPM 3D in theaters, Old Republic MMO getting released in Dec 2011, and Dawn of the Jedi comics hitting the stands. The year closed in late-October with the Disney purchase of Lucasfilm and George retiring. Finally, the rumor of Marvel Comics getting the comics license back started about Dec. 2012.

Was 2012 perhaps the biggest year in the history of Star Wars?

The Old Republic also had the Journal of Jedi Gnost Dural book that was packed with the Old Republic deluxe edition.

Remember the Galactic Timeline videos?

The videos in this series were originally supposed to include separate timeline entries for the Dawn of the Jedi era. http://www.swtor.com/holonet/galactic-history

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dawn of the Jedi tied into Old Republic, Knights of the Old Republic, Guidebooks, etc. Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic tied into the original Tales of the Jedi series. The Tales of the Jedi series tied into Dark Empire. Dark Empire's first issue was published for December 1991. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Empire

According to writer Tom Veitch, the development of Dark Empire and Tales of the Jedi predates Heir to the Empire:
    http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/08/interview-with-dark-empire-writer-tom.html

HERE ARE SOME EXCERPTS:

First of all, how did the idea for Dark Empire come about?

TOM: Cam Kennedy and I got the idea of sending our Marvel/Epic Comics series THE LIGHT AND DARKNESS WAR to George Lucas and proposing a new fully painted Star Wars graphic novel. George loved the idea and asked me to send him plot ideas.

My first idea, believe it or not, was to do a series called "The Jedi Chronicles" which would delve into the history of the Jedi Knights. He said he preferred that we take off from the ending of Return of the Jedi and tell the fate of Luke, Leia, Han, et al. So I put together the concepts that led to Dark Empire.

Now, it should be noted that we had feedback from Mr. Lucas on the plotting of Dark Empire. And our editor, Archie Goodwin, also had a hand in the plotting. He was "Mr. Star Wars" to us, having written many great Star Wars comics for Marvel, as well as the newspaper Star Wars comic strip with artist Al Williamson.

AND ALSO:

At the time, there was a lot of interest in how your work fit with The Thrawn trilogy of novels. Did you talk with Timothy Zahn to organize yourselves and put the whole story together?

TOM: In terms of the creative timeline, our Dark Empire series was proposed, accepted, and scripted about six months before Tim was recruited to write his novels. In fact, Lucasfilm first proposed to Bantam Books that they do a novelization of STAR WARS: DARK EMPIRE. And they said they would rather ask one of their novelist to create a new story. Tim Zahn was hired and he worked very fast. As I recall he finished his book in about two months. (Don't forget, it takes a lot longer to draw a comicbook series than it does to write a novel!)

So HEIR TO THE EMPIRE came out, was an instant best-seller, and LucasArts said to me, "See if you can make the comics fit with Heir to the Empire." I rewrote the introductory rollup to make them fit together. Later, when creating Dark Empire II, we took Zahn's work more fully into our plotting.

>>>>>

Dark Empire's proposal, scripting, and approval pre-dated Tim Zahn being recruited to write the novel that would become Heir to the Empire. And according to Veitch, Lucasfilm first approached Bantam to do a novel for Dark Empire and instead they hired Tim Zahn to write his own story. According to Tom Veitch, Tim Zahn wrote Heir to the Empire fast. Afterwards, Tom Veitch and Cam Kennedy had to adjust Dark Empire for continuity with Zahn.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I enjoyed the inclusion of Terentas, which are clearly predeccesors to Terentateks.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if Lucas told Chee or Dark Horse that he wanted the Jedi to start out "balanced" and then that info was given to Ostrander.

17. Esh-kha

Esh-kha Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2018
    Would he have cared if it had nothing to do with the OT or PT cast?

18. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Based on what I have read over the years, he would have cared. He had editorial staff in place to oversee major saga developments. He is known for his approvals process. For the comics, he would ask for the art panels without dialogue bubbles. He then would write Yes or No and sometimes include notes.

All of the EU stories were considered the author's/artist's interpretations but they still had to go through the LFL approvals process. The choice to "collaborate" or make their story "tie in" to stories already published was the choice of the author. Sometimes multimedia projects were planned across various media platforms, so setting up continuity was an obligation as part of the planning. Shadows of the Empire is one of the biggest examples. Also, wookiepedia was not always around, nor was internet 2.0. So, the LFL editorial board followed everything.

After his retirement in 2012, he did an approvals process for the 8-Part "The Star Wars" screenplay draft comic from Dark Horse with Jonathan Rinzler as author. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Star_Wars

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  19. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
  20. Esh-kha

Esh-kha Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2018
    You got source for how often he did that?

21. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I posted an interview with Tom Veitch in this page of the thread. George's involvement in Dark Empire is likely atypical but marked SW return to comics. There is no way of showing how often he got involved in approvals processes. From what I've read, if a series introduced something major, George may have gotten involved through the approvals process.

Check out this letter written from Tom Veitch to George from Nov. 19, 1988. This letter hints at the control George exerted over SW Comics at different points over his career. Tom released this letter recently to a British fanzine called Journey Planet:
    COPIED TEXT: Source: Journey Planet: Creator Interviews (2018, SW Themed Publication). A British Fanzine

For the record, here is the letter I sent to George Lucas on November 19, 1988:
    Dear Mr. Lucas:
    This letter is in regard to the possible licensing of a new Star Wars comic book.
    Cam Kennedy and I are the creators of a limited series called THE LIGHT AND DARKNESS WAR, which is currently appearing from Epic Comics.
    We’d like to do a series based on your creations, possibly four 48-page painted productions in the new “bookshelf format”. Most likely we would approach Epic, acting as independent licensees, once permission is gained.
    It is our understanding that you withdrew Star Wars from comic books some years back. But the appearance of the Star Wars roleplaying game has made us wonder if you might be open to returning to comics, especially in the kind of first-class production which Cam and I would provide.
    If you haven’t seen our other work for Epic, I’d be glad to send copies.
    Best wishes, Tom Veitch

I should also mention that the Journey Planet fanzine that published this letter has interviews with Tim Zahn, Sean Williams, a new interview with Tom Veitch, and an article about Alan Moore's SW UK material. Tom not only released his Nov. 1988 letter to George but he also released penciled pages from Dark Empire. It is worth checking out. (searching for publication date of the fanzine with no luck, but it is full of SW articles and looks like Summer 2018)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    DarthJaceus and Esh-kha like this.
  22. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Hello folks. Big fan of Dawn of the Jedi. I was curious when the novel, Into the Void takes place in reference to the comics. I've just picked up the 2 TPBs I needed for Dawn of the Jedi and plan on a little read-through. What's the timeline for the material. including The Adventures of Lanoree Brock, Je'daii Ranger?

23. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    My what a colorful signature you have! :)

That's a more complicated question because the comics series and novel jump back and forth to different years on the timeline. A complete answer would be like writing a formal essay. However, here is a copied page on the era from starwarstimeline.net.

[​IMG]

Pre-Republic Era

[​IMG]

36,453 to 25,000 Years Before the Battle of Yavin (BBY)

[​IMG]

36,453−25,805 BBY

Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm #1 (Dark Horse)

Pages 1−9

[Collected in Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm]

25,805 BBY

Pages 10−11

25,793 BBY

Dawn of the Jedi: Eruption (Star Wars Insider #141)

[Reprinted in Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void]

Pages 12−end

Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void (Del Rey/Ballantine)

Chapters 1−2

The Adventures of Lanoree Brock, Je'daii Ranger (Kindlepost.com)

Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void (Del Rey/Ballantine)

Chapters 3−end

Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm #2−5 (Dark Horse)

Dawn of the Jedi: The Prisoner of Bogan #1−5 (Dark Horse)

[Collected in Dawn of the Jedi: The Prisoner of Bogan]

25,792 BBY

Dawn of the Jedi: Force War #1−5

[Collected in Dawn of the Jedi: Force War]

25,200 BBY

The Pirate Prince (Xim Week: The Despotica: Part II: The Pirate Prince; Hyperspace)

25,000 BBY

Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force (Del Rey/Ballantine)

Part Three: Dark Jedi

DarthJaceus likes this.
  24. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016

Ahh your posts are so well laid out! Thank you. The answer is what I'm looking for. Thankfully, I have the Trade Paperbacks so it will be easier to flip through chapters and pages than if I had the individual issues. Thank you so much @Tython Awakening

25. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Yes @Tython Awakening is always helpful, also I too have the trade paperbacks and flipping through the chapters also works it's what I do too.

Tython Awakening and DarthJaceus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.