main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Dawn of the Jedi Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by s65horsey, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Yeah, I certainly like seeing contrasts within the Rakata. Ceh'let (pictured above) has blue-tinted skin, was female, and was a Sub-Predor in the Infinite Empire to Predor Skal'nas. She has her own Wookiepedia article: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ceh'let

Her article sais she was the first Rakata to be shown with hair.

I don't think they have been portrayed as having a "hive-mind" like insects do. They had their own personalities and made independent decisions and challenged each other for authority.

To address whether there were lightside Rakata....you might consider whether the Rakata were among the sapient races who were brought to Tyhon on-board the Tho-Yor pyramidal spaceships. Dawn of the Jedi suggests the Sith were among the races that were "picked up" throughout the galaxy. However, there are no suggestions to my knowledge that the Rakata were among the races. It is worth investigating where the Rakata were at during the Tho Yor arrival.

Quoting Dawn of the Jedi #0: Quigong Kesh page: "Miarta Sek, a pureblood member of the Sith species, is the Temple Master for Quigong Kesh. "

"Miarta's ancestors came to Tython aboard a Tho Yor, millennia before the Sith homeworld of Korriban was conquired by the dark lords who would eventually take the Sith name for their religion."

This article doesn't refer to the Rakata but does indeed establish that the Sith were among the races brought to Tython aboard the Tho Yor.

*The article on the Rakata compares them to Amphibians.

There is an article for Tho Yor arrival at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tho_Yor_Arrival

There might be a difference between elder races and those brought to Tython in the Tho Yor arrival of 36, 453, BBY.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  2. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    That article was informitive thanks!!

Tython Awakening likes this.
  3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Unfortunately, I didn't actually end up getting Force Storm. Maybe some day.

4. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I recommend tracking it down.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wish that they referenced the Rakata being ruled by a "Daritha".

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    There was definitely a focus on the power struggle between Predor Tul'kar and Predor Skal'nas. There was also a struggle between their force hounds, Xesh and Trill. Issue #1 of Force Storm established power struggles within the Rakata right away with the scenes on ancient Tatooine and ancient Byss. I don't think the Daritha term made it into the series, unfortunately.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Predor

Force War #1 did introduce the term "Over-Predor" in the panels between Predor Skal'nas and Ceh'let. Those panels give away quite a bit in terms of where the Infinite Empire was historically during the DOTJ series arcs. Pre'dor Skal'nas tells Ceh'let in the panels that the Rakata could feel themselves losing their connection to the force. They were in search of new force-rich worlds to conquer. The Daritha term may harken back to millennia before DOTJ took place.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I do absently love the idea that Byss was isolated in the Deep Core until Palpatine found it. I wonder what dark side treats he discovered on the abandoned world?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Byss/Legends

HistoryEdit
    [​IMG]
    A settlement on Byss

Around 30,000 BBY during the Pre-Republic era, Byss was ruled by the space-faring Rakata. Using Force-based hyperdrives, they traveled to many worlds around the galaxy that possessed significant signatures in the Force, uniting them to form the Rakatan Infinite Empire.[12] They constructed large temples on Byss.[source?] After five thousand years of galactic dominance, the Rakata retreated to their homeworld.[12] Their temples collapsed into ruins overtaken by the jungle, leaving no clues for later settlers as to how or why they died out.[source?]

The surface of the world was dotted with "spectacular" ruins that were said to be pre–Expansionist Era. During the Galactic Empire's expansion into the Deep Core region, Palpatine selected Byss as his personal retreat and his secret throne world. Thousands of non-Human slaves were forced to labor in the "recolonization efforts" on Byss including the Utapauns and Gamorreans after the Clone Wars.[10]

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sly_Moore/Legends

Queen of the Empire
    Moore was appointed one of the first members of Palpatine's Imperial Ruling Council. Gossipvids and tabloid news spread scurrilous rumors that she and Emperor Palpatine had a relationship, noting the case of other Imperial concubines like Roganda Ismaren.[2] Galactic Gossip bestowed upon Moore the sobriquet of "Queen of the Empire", and she became a popular, glamorized figure even as her public appearances became rarer and rarer.[2]

Moore was transferred to the secret Sith planet Byss to oversee the culling and training of captured Padawansand Jedi Service Corps members. Torturing the captives and pitting them against one another, Moore and Sarcev Quest attempted to convert the acolytes of the Jedi Order into slaves of the dark side of the Force.[11][2] Moore thrived during the first year of the Empire, developing a cold rivalry with the jealous Grand Inquisitor Malorum as the man climbed through the ranks of the Inquisitorius; Malorum often wondered why lesser beings attained the ranks he desired, pondering on Moore's presence.[12]

[​IMG]

Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm #4 shows Xesh having a flashback to the arena on Byss where he prevailed against opponents before the Rakata and other Force Hounds. The images of the arena are rather scant and only show the figures close-up rather than the surroundings of the arena and the arena itself. The artwork is a festival for the eyes when you come back to the series.

However, I will say I had my critiques as it was being released. For example, more scenery showing the arena could have been put into Xesh's flashback sequences. Also, more Predors could have been shown to elaborate on the power structure on the Infinite Empire at these later stages. Perhaps a grand hall of Predors and Sub-Predors could have been shown on Byss or Lehon.

[​IMG]

Dawn of the Jedi: Prisoner of Bogan, Issue #4 manages to visit Lehon in the panel sequences where Master Rajavari activates the Kwa Holocron. The holocron activates with Master A'Nang of the Kwa as the guide. The scenes show the distinctive Rakata architecture.

Master A'Nang tells the story of how the Kwa battled the Rakata on Lehon. In one panel he sais, "The Rakata are a pestilence upon the galaxy that, to our shame, we, the kwa, unleashed."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Amon_Amarth, Jedi Knight88 and spicer like this.
  9. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    OH I never really noticed that. THANKS!!

10. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Dawn of the Jedi: Force War #3

[​IMG]

Released on January 14, 2014, right after the license shift to Marvel was announced, Force Storm #3 was a landmark issue in terms of story development. I'm still trying to figure out a few odds and ends here and there.

There is a battle between seers depicted on both sides: Je'Daii vs. Rakata. Some of the methodology of the Rakata is put on display. Also, definitely not to be under-estimated, the Je'Daii put their finest defenses forward. The result is a deep imagining of psychic warfare within the SW galaxy at a time when the Je'Daii were still locked within the Tython System.

[​IMG]

I remember buying this issue and putting my life on pause as I tried to understand the sequencing of the story panels and script. It is definitely worth revisiting. The story panels on P. 7 suggest Predor Skal'nas was torturing Xesh on a device called a "mind rack" in order to force project into worlds and systems unknown to the Infinite Empire:

We see not only the Je'Daii on Tython in the vision; we also see the Kumumgah of ancient Tatooine. P. 13 shows the Kumumgah bound in chains and paraded as slaves to the Rakata. We might probe the pages of the three arcs to find the motivations of the Rakata for invading ancient Tatooine. This issue and Issue #1 of Force Storm suggest Xesh and other force hounds played a pivotal role in the Infinite Empire seizing Tatooine for its agenda and despoiling the planet.

P. 7 of Issue #3 most likely shows Xesh and Predor Skal'nas in events prior to Xesh landing on Tython on-board the Devourer. P. 11 (bottom panels) has the dialogue, "Sabatoge the Devourer as it nears Tython." "And as the Devourer burns and falls towards the world, cut down your master! Escape!" On P. 10, "Tython, I can sense the power within this world. But can its inhabitants sense us, I wonder?"

To zero the lense in closer, we, as readers, might question: What specifically is the job description of a Force Hound for the Infinite Empire? Once that question is asked, What are the methodologies the Rakata used to locate new force-rich worlds and anticipate how they could be conquered? Issue #3 of Force War connects those dots. This issue is packed full of drama and mystery.

It is worth noting that Issue #2 of Force War, of course, sets the context for Issue #3. However, the flashback panels seem to surface through Xesh trying to recover his memory. We, as readers, are in for a treat as some of the memories implanted in Xesh's mind are slowly unveiled. Not only do we see that Xesh and Predor Skal'nas projected themselves to Tython, but the Predor planted specific commands deep within Xesh's psyche. We also see in Issue #3 of Force War that the ultimate-prize of the Rakata lies deep in The Chasm.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm still piecing the sequencing together as I go back and do a re-read. P. 15 in Issue #3 seems to have a bit of an odd segue into to the torture of Je'Daii Daegen Lok. As had already been explained, Daegen Lok suffered mad visions after descending deep into the Chasm.

*The facial expressions on the Rakata during the torture and visions are priceless. The renditions convey torture, drama, within the power-mad ambitions of the Rakata

- - -

EDIT: The panel sequences in Issue #3 may show that Xesh and Daegon Lok were captured and tortured during the Force War. However...

While being tortured during the Force War, Xesh has a flashback to being tortured by Predor Skal'nas prior to landing on Tython, at which time, Predor Skal'nas implanted subconscious commands into his psyche.

I think this is exactly what the creative team was trying to convey: The Rakata tortured its force hounds as part of discovering new force-rich worlds. Through torture, the Rakata were able to project themselves and the force hound into the future. Through torture, the force hound became the instrument by which the Rakata invaded new worlds and systems during this period.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    OH I NEVER KNEW THAT THANKS!!!!!

12. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    The release of the Godzilla film has me going back to music by Blue Oyster Cult. The Fire of Unknown Origins album had music originally intended for the film, Heavy Metal (1981). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Metal_(film)

Michael Moorcock (Elric writer) co-wrote the tune Veteran of the Psychic Wars with Blue Oyster Cult. The other popular tune on the album, the radio hit Burning for You, also sounds like it could work as part of a film soundtrack.

The song Veteran of the Psychic Wars ended up in the Heavy Metal film.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  13. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
  14. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000

Great song.

15. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    Check out the double spear on the guy in the back. could it be an inspiration for Darth Malgus

16. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    I think it defintley could be an inspiration for Darth Malgus.

17. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Old Republic launched in Dec. 2011 and DOTJ launched in Jan-Feb 2012. It is worth mentioning that the images of Rakata on ancient Tatooine were only found in Dawn of the Jedi #1, with a release date in Feb. 2012.

I was waiting for the series to bring Tatooine into the plot on an ongoing basis.

I'm not so sure I can find any similarity in the blade designs. Your Malgus image shows the hilt of a saber but you are referring to a double-bladed spear on the green Rakata at the back of the foreground.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  18. CernStormrunner

Jul 6, 2000
    Malgus's saber has twin physical blades that project out from either side of where the Lightsaber blade emits from.
    Actually its closer to the look of Xesh's Forcesaber:

Though i realize now that the twin prong/blades seems to be a staple of Rakatan designs.

19. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I haven't looked at lightsaber similarities too much. I just assume there is a constant reminder of Rakata Infinite Empire influence in Sith hardware. The Rakata influence probably gets stronger as you move back in time towards the Infinite Empire.

This next object could easily pass (in shape) for a Rakata-influenced lightsaber hilt.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Rakata

[​IMG]

The Star Forge in operation.​

20. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Good point^^^

21. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Speaking of ancient lightsaber design, I wonder what happened with lightsaber power supply down the line.

In DOTJ, ca. 25k BBY, the rare lightsaber is a free wielding one, i.e. it contains some kind of internal power source.
    In TOTJ, during the Great Hyperspace War, and even later, during the Freedon Nadd Uprising ca. 3996 BY, Odan Urr uses ("protosaber"?) with an external power source attached to the user's hip, connected to the saber via a power cord. There's no indication that sabers with external power pack would have been more powerful. Instead, wookiepedia suggests it was due to "limitations in power pack technology". Plus, it seems very easy to defeat an opponent carrying one: just cut the cord.
    I wonder if it was something akin to Earth history's dark ages when much of the classic knowledge was forgotten/restricted, an things had to ve re-invented during a renaissance.

[​IMG]

Things like this is why I wish we got RPG sourcebooks a la WEG or Saga edition for the later day EU. Inner GM neeeeds these details!

22. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Isin't that the truth they really need too describe things like this in more detail

23. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    The corded power pack designs certainly created controversies among fans. The explanations I've seen are that GMs and fans should create their own in-universe explanations.

Hyperspace travel had technological limitations and geographic limitations imposed by natural boundaries.

Was there a technical manual explanation for the power pack designs? That might be the question.

EDIT:
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Protosaber

[​IMG]

Slashing the cord to the power pack might not extinguish the blade in some models used in the TOTJ era. Some cheap versions of the power pack design might be permanently damaged if the cord is slashed and cut by an attacker.

The cord might have been a trick as well. What part of the saber needed charging,? Did they use rechargeable power supplies? It's too complicated. And then variations of the power pack design surely existed....

EDIT: I wrote this before viewing the wookiepedia article above. I still think we don't know the whole story on these corded sabers. There is also the story of Vima-Da-Boda's lightsaber that was apparently built in 10,000 BBY and then was upgraded by 10 ABY before being handed off in Dark Empire. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Vima-Da-Boda's_lightsaber

[​IMG]

High technological civilizations might still create stone artifacts and build pyramid complexes....even if they seem antiquated to our "modern" senses.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No, it's driven by the users own Force if I remember right. And can only be used if you are close to the dark side.

darklordoftech and Jedi Knight88 like this.
  25. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    I think your right

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.