main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends [DDC 2018]The Journal of Marcus Indupar (Son of Talon Tantiss)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Lover, Jul 2, 2018.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Warm and candid talk about family and political matters. I have no doubt Marcus would love to be back in the midst of action but his wife deserves worry-free years of contentment especially with their sons having younglings to spoil. :D

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    love Dak and grandfather. And interesting discussion about duty and slaves

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Mark's situation is unique. He knows he might outlive many of his loved ones. He should stop worrying and enjoy the time he has with his wife.
    Thanks. I wanted to reintroduce Dak since he was so cute in the last journal I wrote.

Entry 16

Today was a productive day. I was the main speaker for the Indupar Military Academy Graduation ceremony. I said some flowery patriotic words about duty and honor and then introduced to the audience the graduation class of 58 ABY. There was a big cheer and the cadets threw their hats up in the air in celebration.

Later I traveled to the Indupar Void Jumper school to join in on the training. I love showing up in nondescript Void Jumper armor and doing practice jumps incognito. Nobody except the senior leadership knows who I am. It is amazing what gossip you can hear when people think you are just some visiting Private from another unit just trying to get some make-up jumps in.

Most of the gossip involved soldiers bragging about their sexual prowess. Somehow the topic of last week’s royal ball came up. According to the men, their mighty king made love to all the lovely ladies in attendance. One man jokingly suggested that some commemorative plates should be made to celebrate the occasion of the royal orgy. Another soldier offered to take any females rejected by their randy king. The conversation then devolved into complaints about their government throwing a party to get their king a wife when Indupar soldiers are underpaid and overworked.

I had to speak up (anonymously, under my armor) and said, “You do realize the Indupar government pays its soldiers more than the Galactic Alliance or the Empire, don’t you?” I didn’t argue the point further, mainly because my father and grandfather once told me it is a soldier’s God-given right to complain.

“Maybe,” one soldier conceded grudgingly, “but we make less than the Indupar Knights.”

I chuckled under my helmet. “That’s because they have a special skill set. If you could deflect blasterbolts with a lightsaber and levitate things I guarantee you would expect to be paid more.”

“Kriff yeah!” One soldier said under his helmet. “If I was a kriff’n space wizard I’d want a shipload of credits and a different girl each night.”

“Private Halkk,” the man next to him said. “You almost have that. Maybe not every night, but you already have different girl for every date…because none of them want a second outing with you.”

The platoon laughed at the comment. A normal response to that type of remark would be “Kriff you!”, but since the dig came from the man’s squad leader the young private silently stewed.

“The Knights are favored by the king,” an unknown Corporal said.

“What do you expect,” another man said. “The King’s a spook also.”

More than one man shushed the soldier and I could sense a wave of uneasiness coming from platoon. Spook is a derogatory term for a Force-user, because people think we are spooky. I thought they perhaps realized who I was. As far as I knew, only the Company Commander was aware I was among his men, but perhaps I was wrong.

“Don’t say spook. They don’t like that word,” came an explanation from one man in a hushed tone.

“So what if I say spook? They’re not here.”

The soldier across from that man leaned closer before saying, “The king is more than a Force-user. He knows stuff. According to the church he can see the past, present and future. He is all-knowing and it is dangerous to use a derogatory term to describe him.” Our conversation is transmitted via our helmet mics, but his next words were whispered so softly I barely heard them. “He’ll find out. He’s not human…he’s a god.”

I couldn’t contain myself. I let out a loud, incredulous snort. Normally it is difficult to determine who is talking over these helmet comms, but my body language must have given them a clue as to who was the nonbeliever.

The ‘whisperer’ pointed an armored gauntlet in my direction. “I don’t know who you are, but it’s against regulations to disrespect a person’s religious beliefs. You are begging to get your ass kicked!”

I know the regulations. I reviewed and approved the articles within the Indupar Code of Military Justice. I wanted to tell him that while evangelism is allowed in the military, Article 57 prohibits proselytizing—meaning soldiers are not allowed to coerce religious beliefs on anybody. Therefore, threatening to kick somebody’s ass because they don’t believe the king of Indupar is a god is considered harassment.

That is what I wanted to say, but instead I simply apologized. “I’m sorry. It was not my intent to mock your religion. I thought you were joking.”

That appeared to mollify the man. I was happy that the Platoon Sergeant called all of us to our feet as we approached the drop zone.

When I get back to the palace I am going to investigate if the Bright Path clergy are actually preaching that I am a god.

Entry 17

I got back to the palace late. I showered and changed into comfortable clothing before deciding to stop by Taz’s quarters. It was time for her favorite holodrama and we usually watched it together.

She looked a little surprised to see me. “You’re Highness. I thought you would be gone until tomorrow.”

“I just got back. Do you want to watch The Gray Knight together?”

There was a long pause and I noticed she took a quick glance over her shoulder. “Ummm…I invited your cousin over since she doesn’t know anybody in the palace.”

“Oh,” I said disappointed. “I see.”

I went to step back but she grabbed my arm and pulled me into her apartment. “No, no, don’t leave. She’s still a little skittish but it is best that you two finally meet.”

I followed her into her living room and spied lady Viktora sitting on the large sectional sofa surrounding the holoprojector. When she saw me, she shot up out of her seat and gave me a frightened look that reminded me of a Cattail Deer caught in a speeder’s headlights. “Sire,” she stuttered timidly while shifting from foot to foot before she dropped down to a knee as a sign of respect.

“Please stand, Lady Viktora.” I walked up to her and offered her my hand in greeting. “It is so nice to finally meet my cousin. I hope you find your accommodations suitable.”

She looked at my hand for a long pause before reaching out to shake it. Her palm was sweaty, and I could feel a slight nervous tremor running down her arm.

I gave her my best reassuring smile as I helped her to her feet.

“My guest apartment is beautiful Your Majesty,” she said with eyes downcast.

I could tell she was still extremely uneasy and unable to look me in the eye. I thought I would break the tension with a bit of joviality. I finished my handshake and then brought my hand up to my eyes. “Lady Viktora, my eyes are up here.”

It was a joke. My real cousin, Princess Allana, often says something like that when men stare at her bosom a little too long. I thought my comment would be funny. I heard Taz chuckle, but Lady Viktora blushed bright red as her eyes locked on mine. “Sire, I assure you I was not staring at your groin area. My eyes were down in deference. I would never…I wasn’t…”

Taz couldn’t keep her amusement to herself. She busted out in laughter. “Lady Viktora, he’s joking.” She moved over to the holoprojecter and turned it on. She turned and grinned at her guest. “King Marcus likes to tease people.”

I put a hand to my chest. “I tease? Look who’s talking. The woman who said my family jewels hold no allure.”

Her eyes went wide in shock. “Marcus!” She clamped her mouth shut as a blush heated her cheeks. She regained her aplomb before motioning to the couch. “Please sit down, the show is going to start.”

I sat down next to Lady Viktora who appeared puzzled by the exchange between me and my assistant.

The show we watched is about a Jedi Knight that doesn’t fully adhere to the Jedi Code of ethics. He is a rebel that would do things others deemed unscrupulous, but only if he believed the outcome was for the greater good. I like this holodrama because the hero reminds me of my grandfather, Jedi Mark Tantiss. He is one of the few Force-users that has knowledge of both the dark and light side of the Force. Years ago, he used a darkside skill to save the life of Jedi Master Mara Jade Skywalker. Grandpa Mark will do almost anything to help his family, even if it goes against the Jedi Code. For that reason, he left the Jedi Order. Jacen Solo turned to the darkside and did some unforgivable things. My grandfather did a memory rub to make Jacen forget…and then he and his friend Deke Tavik destroyed evidence that would implicate Jacen. Of course, I was never officially told this story, but I know. I’m a postcognitive just like my father. I can touch things and gain information from them. I know more than anybody can imagine.

Getting back to the show. The Gray Jedi is called Clayton Darksky. He left the Jedi order to bring justice and sometimes revenge onto the wicked. It has some good writing, but the show is a bit tawdry with a lot of violence and sex.

While watching the holodrama it became apparent that Lady Viktora had led a somewhat sheltered life. She had almost no understanding of what a Jedi Knight can do. After the gray Jedi levitated some rocks, she turned to me wide-eyed and said, “Can you do that? I was told you were a force user.”

I shrugged nonchalantly. “Sure.” I reached a hand out and the Holoprojector remote levitated to me.

“Wow,” was all she managed to say…until Clayton Darksky used Force telepathy to talk to another Force-user. “Can you do that?”

I shifted in my seat uncomfortably. I really don’t like bragging about my powers. “I can with some of my Knights.”

“Could you read a person’s mind?”

I shook my head. “If they are projecting to me. I don’t eavesdrop on people’s thoughts…I don’t know if I actually can. I never tried it. I can sense emotions or when a person is being deceptive.”

The hero of the show started doing impressive jumps and flips while he fended off a barrage of blasterbolts with his lightsaber.

“Can you do that?” Lady Viktora asked breathlessly.

“Of course he can,” Taz said with a grin. She could tell I was getting uncomfortable with all the questions, but that didn’t stop her from bragging on my behalf. “He’s the best in the galaxy.”

I scoffed. “Is that why Princess Allana kicked my ass when we sparred?”

Taz smirked. “We all know you let her win.”

A scoffing laugh escaped my lips. “Yeah.”

The hero defeated the enemy and now it was time for him to hook up with his weekly damsel-in-distress. It is a recurring theme of the show. He defeats the enemy and then he has amazing Force-enhanced sex with a grateful woman. It makes me wonder if there are any males out in the galaxy that need his help. It appears that all of the people he aids are young, female and gorgeous.

During the sex scene the hero is using levitation and some other sort of Force skill to enhance his sexual prowess. It was than that sensed both Lady Viktora and Taz were staring at me. From Viktora I felt a mix of awe and curiosity and from Taz…well, from Taz I sensed amusement. Before T’zana could say a word, I knew what was coming.

“So…are you able to enhance your sensual encounters with woman like our Grey Jedi is doing now?” Taz asked teasingly.

“You would know just as well as I do,” I shot back without hesitation. I turned to her and grinned. It was another one of my jokes. I assumed that Taz was aware that I have never been with a woman sexually…therefore I would have no way of knowing if I was capable of those particular abilities, and therefore, her guess was as good as mine. I was positive she was cognizant of my lack of experience, but the livid expression on her face quickly led me to believe that Taz knew of no such thing.

“Sire, I know you are joking, but please don’t make such scandalous statements in front of somebody who doesn’t know you like I do.”

Lady Viktora stood. “Perhaps I should go.”

“No!” I said quickly. “Let me explain.” I sighed deeply knowing I did owe everybody an explanation. It was an improper comment because even if Taz got the joke…there was no way our guest would understand what I meant.

I turned to Lady Viktora. “I made that comment in jest. I am waiting until marriage before having relations with a woman…therefore I have no idea if I can recreate that particular skill seen on the holoprojector. Because I don’t know, there would be no way Taz would know. I was making a joke based on the assumption that everybody knew I wasn’t sullying chambermaids every night.” I turned to T’Zana. “I am sorry.”

She stared at me slack jawed. “I can’t believe it.”

“What? That I apologized for my tasteless comment.”

She shook her head. “No, that you and Princess Allana haven’t…she stays in your apartment when she visits. I just assumed that you two were…”

“Well, we’re not. The Princess and I are friends…just friends.”

Taz’s expression went to one of disbelief to…something I couldn’t quit identify. “I understand, Sire.”

We turned our attention back to the movie although I don’t remember how it ended. I was embarrassed and upset.

My first meeting with Lady Viktora was a disaster.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Kahara likes this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh my! A lot of mis-speaking went on . :eek: =D=

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    spook and spy;) and a lot of talk

6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks. He loves teasing, but forgot who was in his audience for a moment.
    Thanks. I hope you like it.

Entry 18

The next day Taz came to my office to go over my daily schedule. That’s good, because I was anxious to ask her some questions. I had left Taz’s apartment before Lady Viktora and I trusted the two had some time to talk.

“I hope you explained to Viktora that I am normally not a moron.”

She chuckled as she sat down across from my office desk. “Of course, Your Highness. I absolutely reassured her that you strive to restrict your social blunders to once a month…and since you met this month’s quota you will certainly endeavor to avoid further indiscretions…at least for the next couple weeks.”

“Ha, ha. No, really…what did she say.”

She laughed, slow and easy. “She thought it was very touching that you would reveal such a private part of your life in order to dispel the notion that we have been intimate. She knows men are often braggards when it comes to their sex lives and it is rare that a man will admit they are a virgin.” She paused slightly. “I was actually surprised. I know you have many opportunities. Why didn’t you…I mean…it’s not because of…” She stopped and looked down at the floor.

“I know what you are thinking. I am not holding out for you to change your mind about us. I know you won’t.” I shifted in my seat uncomfortably. “I am leader of the church. I am expected to be above the temptations of the flesh. The church doctrine dictates that sex should be between married couples. It would look bad if I am not following the rules.” My eyes narrowed as I gazed at my assistant. “You must not think I’m a good leader of the Bright Path if you believed I was defiling Princess Allana every time she visits.”

She blushed. “It’s hard thing not to believe when the Princess does everything in her power to cultivate that belief.”

“It is a political ploy. Nothing else.” I thought about what I heard during Void Jump training and decided to broach the subject with Taz.

“T’Zana…does the church preach that I’m a god?”

She looked taken aback by the question. “Why do you ask, Sire?”

I leaned forward in my chair. “Answering a question with a question? They are, aren’t they?”

She blew out a breath. “It is not church doctrine, but some of the top church leaders believe you may be…something more than a King.”

I scoffed. “What does that mean?”

“A king of kings,” she ventured tentatively. “A celestial, demigod, a ministering spirit…at the very least a prophet.”

I slowly rose out of my chair. “Please tell me you don’t believe such things.”

She didn’t answer…which spoke volumes.

“You do believe it.” I threw my hands in the air. “Of all people I would think you would know better. You’ve seen all my foibles. You’ve seen me anxious, fearful, tired, hungry and in pain. I am human. Hell, I was shaking in my boots at the thought of meeting a bunch of women my age. Don’t let the church fill your head with lies. Believe what you see…because I know you see me…the real me.”

“Yes, Sire.” Her voice was soft, almost cowed. It was not my intention to upset her. I moved around my desk and I knelt down next to her chair. “Taz, I’m sorry. My words may have come out a bit…forceful. I just don’t want people believing a fairy tale.”

She turned to look at me and I was shocked to see tears in her eyes. “Taz!” I clasped her hands in mine. “I…” I wasn’t sure what to say. I was blindsided by her belief in something so ridiculous. “I just know what I am, and it is not what the church is preaching. I don’t mean any disrespect to your religion.”

She laughed softly while looking away. “It is your religion also. You are the Church leader.”

I gave her hands a squeeze. “When I turned thirteen and became the head of the church nobody informed me that I was getting promoted to deity. I would have turned down the job if I suspected as much.”

I felt a little better when she let out a soft chuckle. “I am not blindly following what the church leaders preach. I base my beliefs on what I see…what I have experienced.”

I shook my head in confusion. “And what possibly led you to believe I am divine?”

She looked down at our clasped hands as a tear rolled down her cheek. “Marcus, before I joined the Church of the Bright Path I followed the prevalent religion of my planet.”

“Oh?” I was surprised that she was opening up about her past. Usually she avoids the subject at all costs. “Tell me about it.”

“My parents were rarely around. They were usually off getting high on spice. There was a neighbor lady that would take me in and feed me. She was very religious and taught me about Kamii the Sky God. She assured my young self that Kamii would answer my prayers if I prayed hard enough. So, I prayed and prayed. I prayed my parents would sober up and take care of me. I prayed for my next meal and, when my parents sold me into slavery, I prayed to Kamii to free me from my life of misery. When I discovered I was to undergo surgery and…get mutilated into somebody’s sick, perverse…” She had to stop and take a calming breath. “The night before the surgery I got angry. Kamii never did anything to help me. So, I cursed him and prayed to any god that heard my prayer that if he rescued me from a life of torture and cruelty, I would forever worship him. I prayed up to the time that I was put under for my surgery. When I woke up, I was terrified. I couldn’t see. I couldn’t feel my arms and legs. People were around me trying to calm me down. I remember them giving me a hypospray with some type of sedative. Before I drifted off to sleep, I heard the voice of a boy…your voice…saying, “Do whatever needs to be done to help her.” She gazed at me lovingly. “You answered my prayers…and then I discover you are the leader of a church and that many of your followers believe you are otherworldly. When I heard that, I became convinced that you must be...maybe not a god...but someone heaven sent.”

I took in a long calming breath and blew it out. “Taz, did you ever consider that Kamii may have sent me to save you?”

She shook her head adamantly. “No.”

“If I am a heavenly being, I have lousy timing. I should have saved you before you had your surgery.”

She was not swayed by my argument. “I am sure it was for the best. You took an interest in me because I was in such dire shape. If my injuries were minor, I would have joined the other freed slaves at technical training schools or colleges and we would have never met. Instead we became friends. Losing my eyes and limbs was worth it.”

“Whoa, Taz, don’t talk like that.” I shuddered. “That’s a disturbing thought.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry. I cherish our friendship…I just wish we met under better circumstances.” I gave her cybernetic hands a squeeze as I stood and returned to my seat. “Taz, I don’t want to tell you what to believe. I just ask that you don’t share your views with others…especially Lady Viktora.”

I was amazed at how quickly her expression turned from sad to mischievous. “You like her, don’t you?”

“No, no,” I said quickly. “But she is my cousin and I don’t want her to start thinking divinity runs in the family. We don’t want to give her the impression that she is a goddess.”

“You’re blushing,” she pointed out. “And you are a lousy liar. Admit it, you like her. I’m right, aren’t I?”

“If I’m blushing and unable to lie to you…then that's proof enough that I am no god.” I picked up my datapad and pretended to become suddenly engrossed by my daily calendar.

“Maybe you are the god of honesty and mortification," she ventured. "I did notice that you didn’t answer my question about liking her, so I will take that as a yes.”

I shrugged. “Take it anyway you want.”

“Okay, then it's a yes,” she said with a wide grin. “You are interested in her.”

I didn’t attempt to dissuade her of that belief. Even if I was a god…it never helped me win an argument with Taz.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Kahara likes this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful confiding from each =D= LOL on his non-answer about Viktora [face_mischief]

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    revealing discussion between Taz and Marcus

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, I think he may be interested.
    Thank you. I think she believes he is more heaven sent than anything else.
    Entry 19

As the weeks went by, I believe I have successfully rehabilitated my image in Lady Viktora’s eyes. I must admit, I enjoy her company. Once she became less timid around me her vibrant personality started to peek through. In return I sought to rehabilitate the Racine name among my countrymen. I invited her to accompany me to various charitable events, school groundbreakings and children hospital visits.

My intention was for my people to see her as a friend to the Indupar people and not the daughter of one of the most reviled members of the royal family. I was partially successful, but it appears I take after my father when it comes to the media making up stories.

I was shocked when Taz came into my office with datapad in hand and showed me when the holonet reporters were saying about me and Viktora visiting wounded soldiers at a local military hospital.

I remember staring at the datapad in disbelief. I thought for a moment it was a prank…a holomanipulated fake news story. I glanced up to my assistant slack jawed. “Are they insinuating I am kriffing my underaged cousin?”

T’Zana bit her lower lip in an effort to not laugh. “No Sire, at least not when it comes to being underaged. Viktora is three years past the age of consent on Indupar. She just can’t take control of her family lands until the age of eighteen.”

I glowered at Taz. “That’s not funny!”

“Sorry Sire, but as your personal assistant I would recommend that you do nothing to dispel this belief.”

“And why is that?”

“I assume you have brought your cousin to these various charitable events in order to ingratiate her to the Indupar people. The people love you. If they believe you are fond of your young cousin…very fond…then the besmirching of the Racine name might cease.”

I shook my head. “I am not going to let this rumor persist. She will be livid if I do.”

Taz raised an eyebrow. “Are you sure? She has lived in exile with her father since he accused the Queen of infidelity. She knows how much the Indupar people detest her father. She’s heard the whispering behind her back…the way the name Racine is spoken as almost a curse word here on Indupar. Are you sure she would be upset about a rumor that you two are an item…especially if it makes life easier for her? Before you set up a press conference disavowing this story…perhaps you should ask her.” She gestured to the datapad. “Besides, the reporter only suggested that wedding bells might be in your future. It didn’t come out and say you two have been…intimate.”

I ran a hand over my face in frustration. I now feel bad about teasing my father about the media stories revolving around his sex life. Here I am a virgin and the entire kingdom believes I’m the biggest womanizer in the galaxy. I am surprised that members of the senior church leadership haven’t pulled me aside to discuss my alleged behavior.

“I’ll talk to her.” As Taz moved to leave I stopped her. “Wait…I have to admit, I never looked for scandalous articles involving myself.” I swallowed a lump in my throat nervously, dreading the answer to my next question. “Are there stories about me and Allana…or you?”

She let out a teasing laugh. “Sire, according to the Vulptex HoloNews Network, you were in an intense love triangle between you, me and Princess Allana, but after the royal ball, some reporters think it is more like a ‘love decagon’.”

I sat back in my chair and groaned.

Entry 20

I went over to Lady Viktora’s apartment to discuss the rumor issue. She looked surprised to see me as she ushered me into the foyer.

“Did I miss a scheduled outing, My Lord?” She asked as she closed the door behind me.

I gave my best disarming smile, but I am sure she could tell I was nervous about something. “No, I just wanted to talk to you. Have you seen the news reports about us on the holonet?”

She blushed slightly and shuffled her feet. “I did, Sire.”

I nodded. “I plan on holding a press conference to disavow those rumors. I just wanted to get your input on that.”

She looked down at the floor. “I understand,” she said softly. I was taken aback by how miserable she sounded. I know having a public media outlet attacking one’s virtue was distressing, but I got the distinct impression that there was more to her sorrow.

“What exactly do you understand?”

She shrugged as a tear rolled down her cheek. “You find it shameful to be associated with me in that manner.”

“What?” I placed two fingers under her chin and gently tilted her head up until I could look her in the eye. “I was going to squash the rumors to protect your virtue. I have no qualms about our close interactions.”

Her dark blue eyes were damp with tears as she struggled to maintain control of her voice. “That is kind of you to say, Sire, but I know the Racine family is hated within the kingdom. I am loathed just as much as my father.”

I shook my head adamantly. “That’s not true.”

She smiled at me sadly. “It is true. I know it and you know it. I also know any rumors about a budding romance between us can only malign your image.”

“Hey,” I said as I wrapped my arms around her in a brotherly hug. “Lady Viktora, believe me when I say I was only concerned about how you would react to the rumors.” I pulled back and smiled. “In the last few weeks I have really got to know you. You are a beautiful, compassionate and gracious young lady that I am proud to call my friend. If you don’t care about the current romance gossip, then I don’t care either.”

She looked up at me and smiled warmly. “Thank you, Sire.”

“Marcus.” I whispered. “Call me Marcus.”

“Marcus.” Her smile widened. “Please, call me Viki.”

Entry 21

I left Viki’s apartment posthaste after our little conversation…mainly because she asked if I wanted to stay and have something to drink. I left not because I didn’t want to spend more time with her…I left because I really, really did want to spend more time with her.

Kriff! Taz is right, I am starting to like the girl.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Kahara likes this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Viktora really likes Marcus and is an asset to him publicly and personally, and his concern for her feelings is lovely.

11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Viki is a nice woman. And the news, fake or not;)

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thank you. He is a good man, like his father and his grandfather.
    I think he likes her. :)

Entry 21

Viki will turn eighteen next month. In preparation for her taking control of her family lands and mansion I took the liberty of having grounds keepers and cleaning crews go to the long-abandoned estate and getting it ready for occupancy.

I am excited to see her expression when I bring her to her new home. I am so excited that I'm having trouble keeping my emotions under control. Twice she has told me that I have been acting secretive. When she asked me what I was up to I used all of my Force control to keep a straight face while saying, “You’ll see.”

Entry 22

Taz ran into my bed chamber late last night and shook me awake. “Marcus, something horrible has happened. You need to get up.”

I rolled out of bed only half awake. Taz was riffling through my closet and dresser pulling out an outfit. She threw a pair of trousers in my direction which I deftly caught and slipped on over my boxer shorts.

“What’s going on?”

She grabbed tunic out of my closet and moved toward me. “Olaf Racine has been assassinated. It is all over the news. You need to talk to Lady Viktora before she sees it on the holonet.”

My stomach knotted. “Oh no. She already lost her mother. This is going to devastate her.”

Taz hurriedly pulled the tunic over my head. “It is far worse than that.” She left my side long enough to grab the holonet remote control and turned it on. She flipped through the channels until she came to the Galactic News Holo-network. The reporter was warning the public that what we were about to see was graphic and might not be appropriate for younger viewers.

The next scene was of a black speeder pulling into a parking space on a busy street. A man dressed as…well, I am not sure exactly what he was supposed to be, but the costume he wore was close enough to an Indupar Knight uniform that some people might be fooled. The armor was noticeably made out of lightweight material, the lightsaber was obviously a fake, and he wore black googles…something not part of our knight uniform. The Indupar-Knight-want-to-be rushed up to the speeder and stuck his head into the open window. He said a few unintelligible words before pulling a blaster out of a side holster and shooting three time into the vehicle. The assassin then stepped back, looked directly up into a public security camera and screamed. “Long live the King of Indupar!”

My legs felt rubbery as I dropped down to my bed mattress. “Oh kriff.”

Taz nodded wildly. “Yeah kriff! You need to talk to Viktora before she sees this.” She grabbed my arm and pulled me to my feet as she dragged me to the door. “It is in the middle of the sleep cycle. There's a chance and doesn’t know anything yet.”

We ran down the hall, startling the guards who rushed after me while barking out questions as to where I was going and if I needed help.

When we got to Viki’s quarters, I knew it was too late. Her heartbreak rippled through the Force. I put my hand on the entry scanner and the door slid open. I could see her in the living room, sitting on her couch, and crying hysterically. I moved forward to comfort her, but when she saw me her despair turned to rage.

She stood and pointed to the holonet report of her father’s death. “You did this! I knew you were up to something!”

“No, no,” I protested my innocence. “I had nothing to do with this.”

The next thing I knew I was on the receiving end of an open hand slap across my face.

The following felt like it happened in slow motion. The guards who had followed me into the apartment gasped in disbelief. Then there was the sound of men snapping off their blaster safety straps so the weapons could be removed from the holster.

I knew the men were only doing their duty. Anybody striking the King would be arrested and hauled off to jail. But this wasn’t any ordinary person assaulting the king. She was the daughter of a man hated throughout the kingdom. I was not confident that everybody in the room would keep a level head. Before things got out of hand, I raise my voice and called out, “Halt.” I also used the Force to make sure my guards were unable to unholster their weapon. Without turning around, I ordered my guards to leave.

There were protests but Taz made sure they left the room.

Viki had dropped back down to her couch while sobbing. “You made sure my family lost their lands and property. Now, I have nothing. My parents are dead, my step-mother is dead, and I don’t know the fate of my half-brother.” She turned and looked at me murderously. “My father warned me you might do this!”

“Viki, I didn’t do anything. Think about it. Why would I send an assassin dressed like an Indupar Knight? Why would an assassin of mine look right up to a security camera and publicly praise my name? If I wanted your family’s property, I could have just taken it. Nobody could have stopped me. I wouldn’t need to kill anyone. And if I did want somebody assassinated, I definitely would make sure they went in incognito so I wouldn't be implicated in the crime.”

Taz groaned as she ran a hand over her face in frustration. “Marcus, that really isn't comforting.”

Great, now I have upset two women who I care about deeply. “I’m sorry Taz, but this is a frame job. Somebody wants to make it look like I did this.”

She put her hands on my shoulder and looked me in the eye. “I know. I will stay with Viktora. Use your government and Jedi contacts to try to find out who could have done this.”

When I didn’t move, she pushed me toward the door. “Marcus, let me take care of this. Please.”

When I got to the door, she looked at my face and frowned. “You may want to ice down your cheek. An upraised hand print is starting to form.”

I reluctantly walked out of the apartment. Outside in the corridor I saw a group of guards, Indupar knights and assorted palace staff milling about. I waved them off. “Not a word to anybody. Now get out of here.” When they didn’t move fast enough, I screamed. “Now!”

I jogged back to my bed chamber to get into proper clothing. I need to travel to Ec Pand and talk to Ben Skywalker. He's a Jedi Sentinel. If anybody could solve this mystery it's him.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Kahara likes this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, wow!!!!! What a turn of events! =D= :eek: I thought this was about to wrap up in a delectably mushy fashion and now we have a MYSTERY! I can just bet Viki is devastated, on 2 levels, losing her dad so violently and then thinking Marcus had something to do with it. :( Marcus is right; it's a frame upjob, and devised to not only eliminate Viki's father but drive a rift between the two families for good. No one is oblivious to the fact that Marcus and Viktora were getting along pretty well. :p

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You can't make it too easy. That's boring. Thanks for reading.

Entry 23

I traveled to Ec Pand with my my best Indupar Knight, Edric. I really wanted to go alone, but my mother would have a fit if I did. Edric was piloting while I sat in the copilot seat wracking my brain, trying to figure out why anybody would try to frame me. My pilot sat silently but I noticed he was making furtive glances in my direction.

“What is it Edric?”

He cleared his throat nervously. “You are developing a slight bruise on your cheek, Sire.”

I reached up to where Viki hit me. “Am I?” I said in my best disinterested voice. “This is not the first time a woman has hit me. You’ve seen me spar with Allana.”

“Yes, Sire.” I could feel a flush of embarrassment from my guard. “I have been wanting to apologize for my behavior that day. I know you sensed my…jealousy.”

‘Oh boy.’ I really didn't want to discuss this matter, but if Edric was infatuated with me, I guess it is best to address his unrequited love now, other than later. “Edric, I’m sorry…but if it is a relationship you want…it just isn’t going to happen.”

His blush deepened as he pressed his lips to a flat line. “I know, Your Highness. Royals court other royals…not commoners.”

I shook my head. “It isn’t a royal-commoner problem. It is one of attraction…I ummm…”

“Oh gods,” he moaned. “This is even worse than I thought. I can understand the obstacle of not being a royal, but to be told I am not attractive enough. That's painful.”

I sat back in my seat and heaved a sigh. “It’s not that you’re not attractive, because you are. You are a very attractive man…but if one is not attracted to men…then there is no way to overcome that problem.”

His jaw dropped as he slowly turned to me. “Allana prefers the company of women?”

"What?" My mind went blank for a second or two as I tried to figure out what he meant by that. “Allana likes men…why did you say that?”

He shook his head in frustration. “You just said Allana wasn’t interested in me because she isn’t attracted to men.”

‘Frack!’ I totally misread what happened that day of the sparring match. Or should I say, Allana misread the situation. She thought the flash of jealously from Edric was because he liked ME! No, he likes Allana. ‘FRACK!’

“Edric,” I said slowly. “I am your king. If I command you to never, ever repeat what is said in this shuttle today, will you swear an oath to keep my confidence?”

The man looked startled by my tone and change of subject. “Of course, Sire. I would die for you.”

I took a big breath and blew it out. “This entire conversation was in response to Allana feeling your pang of jealousy and saying to me, 'Marcus, you have a male admirer.'

He stared at me dumbfounded for a long moment before he started to laugh.

“I command you to stop laughing,” I said sternly before laughing myself.

Edric bit down on his bottom lip until he got his laughter under control. “You thought I had a crush on you?” He stopped when he realized how that might sound. “I am not implying that you aren’t attractive, Sire. I mean…if I were attracted to men…you would be number one on my list.”

‘Oh gods,’ I thought to myself. ‘This was getting more awkward by the moment.’

“Not that I have thought about it,” he continued. “I don’t have a list…because I have never thought about it…I just don’t…there is no list." He stopped and took a breath. "I like women.”

“That's good, because Allana expressed interest in you,” I said, quickly changing the subject.

“What?” Edric gasped. “What exactly did she say?”

“Allana said, ‘That Edric fellow is cute…and muscular’. She also thought it was a waste that you only liked men.”

“But I like women! I especially like her. I would love to…” He stopped suddenly. “Sire, aren’t you and Allana…an item?”

“Nooooo,” I slowly drew out the word. “We are very good friends, but we both know a relationship between us would be impractical.” I smiled. “If you promise to never mention my previous embarrassing conversation, I will put in a good word for you with her.”

He smiled brightly. “You have a deal, Sire.”

“Good," I interjected. "Before we got sidetracked, we were talking about my bruise. Why are you so concerned?”

The smile slipped from his face. “Lady Racine hit you with malice. What shall be done with her?”

“Nothing is to be done with her.” I said pointedly. “You saw the holovid. She just witnessed the death of her father by somebody pretending to be an Indupar Knight. Her mother died only a year earlier. She's now an orphan. Can you blame her?”

He sat in silent thought for a moment before answering. “No, Sire.”

“Edric,” I said softly. “Do you think any of my guards or Knights would have done such a thing? How great is the animosity against Lady Viktora? Could one of my men killed her father?”

He glanced over to my direction and I felt a surge on unease from the Knight. “I don’t think any of your guards are involved with the murder.” There was a long pause. “But, to be truthful, Your Highness, many within the kingdom were outraged at her presence on Indupar…but that is slowly changing.”

I sat up straight in my seat and turned to face him fully. “Oh, how so?”

He smiled slightly. “People began to accept her because of the change we see in you.” He chuckled slightly. “You look happy when you are with her. Sire, your people love you. We want the very best for you…because you always want what’s best for your people.”

I blushed at his warm words. “Thanks.”

Remained quiet throughout the rest of the trip.

Entry 24

I went to Master Ben Skywalker’s office and was greeted enthusiastically by my cousin. I swear, he looks like a younger version of my grandfather right down to the red beard and hair. Of course, my grandfather’s natural hair color is dark blond, but he dyes it to disguise the fact that he is an altered Luke Skywalker clone. He decided to dye his hair and irises the same as Master Mara Jade Skywalker’s and then pretend he is her brother. It has worked so far.

I left Edric out in the hall and closed the door behind me. Ben ushered me into his office and to a cushioned chair near his desk. As I sat down he pointed to my cheek. “You get that sparing?”

I shook my head. “No, Lady Viktora Racine slapped me.”

Ben barely suppressed a grin. “Ouch. I see you are continuing the family tradition of getting smacked around by a cousin.”

I rolled my eyes. I have heard the story about Ben hitting my father while under the spell of a Mind Witch about a dozen times. “I guess I am. I have managed to avoid getting bitten by a vorskr, though.”

“Good, because your dad still carries those scars,” Ben said with a laugh before getting serious. “Can I assume you are here concerning the murder on Opta Terra?”

“If that is where Olaf Racine was murdered, then yes. Somebody is trying to frame me.”

Ben sat behind his desk and gave me a dismissive wave. “Nobody in the galaxy actually believes you had anything to do with it.”

I blew out a frustrated breath. “One person does, Olaf’s daughter.”

“Oh,” Ben said slowly. “Can I assume there is a budding romance happening between you two…or is that all media hype.”

I felt my cheeks warm by that question, but I answered truthfully. “I like her. We aren’t officially dating, but when she turns eighteen I was going to ask to court her...if she was interested in that.”

“Oh ho,” Ben grinned. “Does your family know that?”

I shook my head. “No, and please don’t tell anybody…because things don’t look good right now.”

He nodded. “Understandable. I guess we need to solve this mystery. I will need to ask you a few questions and then I can start an investigation. Opta Terra is within the Galactic Alliance territories, so the Jedi have authority to investigate.” He took out a datapad and pushed a few buttons. “Normally there are four motives for murder: Jealousy, greed, urge to protect and hate…but since you are a politician and church leader that adds two more motives.” He paused for a moment as he entered information into his datapad. “Marcus, has anybody recently mentioned killing Racine…even in a joking manner.”

I thought about it for a while before my eyes went wide with surprise. Ben looked at me expectantly, but when I didn’t respond to his question, he knew I was hiding something. “Who was it, Marcus?”

I looked down at the floor. “I had been complaining to my father that my mom wanted me to have an heir so if something happened to me the Racine family wouldn’t regain the throne. Dad said an heir could be killed just as easily as me. There was a better way to protect the throne, but it reeked of the Dark Side…meaning killing Racine first.”

Ben chewed on his bottom lip in thought. “I can’t see your dad killing people in cold blood, even if he thought he was protecting you…and he definitely wouldn’t try to frame you. I don’t think any of your family is involved. The same goes for your Knights and Guards. If they wanted to safeguard you, they wouldn’t go to such lengths to implicate you in a crime.”

“So, urge to protect is scratched off our list,” I ventured.

Ben nodded. “How about jealousy. Right now, Viktora hates you. Maybe somebody wanted her out of the picture. Were there other women pursuing you?”

“No…other than Allana…but I made it clear I didn’t want a relationship.” I shook my head. “No, she wouldn’t do that. I don’t care how evil Hapan people are. She wouldn’t do that…and I don’t think her security chief, Deke Tavik would do that either…although he is capable…and he did hint that I should marry Allana.” I thought about it some more. “No, he wouldn’t risk aggravating me. My seers help him keep the Hapan royal family safe.”

“Okay. The next motive is greed. Does anybody benefit from Olaf’s death?”

“Not in my kingdom. He may have had his own enemies. Perhaps he owed people money.”

“Which brings us to hate…which I think is our best bet. If somebody hated Olaf and wanted him dead, then dressing up like an Indupar Knight and shouting your name is an excellent way to get law enforcement looking at the wrong people. I think the killer is somebody he knew and pissed off on Opta Terra.” He stood and walked around his desk. “I will look into this, Marcus.”

I stood and gave him a warm hug. I know he is technically my cousin, but he is more of an uncle to me. “Thanks, Ben.”

He gave me a pat on the shoulder as he walked me to the door. “Don’t worry. We’ll figure this out. I would like to stay and chat, but I need to start questioning witnesses as soon as possible.”

"I understand."

We said our goodbyes and Edric and I returned to our shuttle and traveled back to Indupar.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Kahara likes this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    #23 =D= [face_rofl] Oh that was hilarious until it was cleared up! :oops: Glad Edric and Allana will soon be on track.
    #24 -- :) Good, Ben and Marcus just narrowed down possible/probable motives and now the investigating can begin.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks! I am glad you found that funny. I needed to find Allana a love interest that won't try to kill her. I think Edric and Allana would make a cute couple.

Entry 25

When I got back to the palace, I went straight to Taz’s apartment and asked her about Viki.

“As you can imagine, Sire, she is devastated. She lost both of her parents. She now is at the mercy of a man she thinks might be responsible for her father’s death, and she doesn’t know what happened to her half-brother.”

I shook my head sadly. “You couldn’t convince her of my innocence?”

She blew out a frustrated breath. “I tried. She is unsure as to what to believe at this moment.”

I walked over to her living area and sat down on her couch. “It is unfortunate that she heard the news from the holonet.”

Taz sat down next to me. “She didn’t, Sire. She got a late-night transceiver call from her uncle…her mother’s brother telling her the news.”

“Warning her to flee the palace, no doubt.”

Taz shook her head. “No, that’s what is odd. According to Lady Viktora, her uncle thought you had her father killed, but he said she will be safest if she stays at the palace. He believed you wouldn’t move against her if she was living under your roof. When you allowed her to move into the palace you veritably became her guardian…if something happened to her while under your protection it would make you look bad. He thought your pride would prevent you from harming his niece.”

I shook my head in disbelief. “Are both sides of her family insane? First her father sends her to my palace despite the belief that I might harm his daughter and now her mother’s brother says it is best for her to stay with the man he believes killed her dad.”

A sardonic laugh escaped her lips. “I can’t comment on her mother’s side of the family, but it is obvious that not all the Indupar clan is crazy…unless you believe you’re not quite sane.”

“Oh yeah,” I whispered. I keep forgetting Taz still believes I am of Indupar blood…along with being a god. “Present company excluded, that is.”

“She is worried if she is going to be punished for striking you. Not enough to apologize, since she still believes you might have ordered her father’s death. Nevertheless, she knows she might face punishment.”

I waved my hand. “She need not worry.” I smiled softly. “She’s got some fire in her. When we first met, she seemed so meek and subservient. Now she treats me more like an equal…albeit an equal whose guts she hates.”

Taz leaned over and put a hand on my shoulder. “Marcus, you joke, but I know how upsetting this is to you. You like her. But don’t worry, things will work out. You had nothing to do with her father’s death. The truth will eventually surface, and things will get better.”

“I hope so, Taz. I really hope so.”

Entry 26

The last week has been difficult. Viki has remained secluded in her apartment since her father’s murder. Only Taz and the occasional palace servant have seen her. I am a bit depressed. I had plans for a big birthday party for her and then surprise her by driving her to her completely renovated family home. That was supposed to happen in two weeks. I can’t see her being in a celebratory mood so soon after her father’s death, so I cancelled the gala. I have had my people contact the lawyers of the deceased and gave permission for Olaf Racine and his wife to return to Indupar to be buried in his family crypt. I am waiting for an answer. I guess because it is a murder investigation autopsies must be done and there is a lot of paperwork involved. I am letting my lawyers work out the details. My people have discovered the whereabouts of Viki’s half-brother. One-year-old Nickolas Soren Racine was being cared for by a nanny at the time of the murder. The local authorities were looking for relatives on planet to care for the child, but, according to the nanny, the child’s mother was an only child whose parents died during the planet’s short-lived civil war. The only known relatives live on Indupar. I assume Viki wishes to be reunited with her brother. I have no problem with Nickolas coming to live in the palace. Unfortunately, he is not a citizen of Indupar, so I have to wait for the Opta Terra government to make a decision. Meanwhile, I will have Taz discuss the issue with Lady Viktora.

Entry 27

My top lawyer of the King’s Counsel has informed me that distant relatives of Olaf’s second wife have come forward asking to adopt the baby.

“We think their interest in the child is purely monetary,” my legal advisor informed me when he stopped by my office. “They think Nickolas Racine will one day be given the title of Earl of Rimcroix. They are not going to give up a chance of a big payoff in the future.”

Rimcroix is the province that the Racine family originated. It’s not the richest area on Indupar, but it is home to the city of Cerzura which is one of the top medical research centers on the planet. Within the city borders one could find the Cerzura Medical Center which is a teaching hospital and pediatric research center. In addition, there is the Corandal Center of Biomedical Research, two medical universities, four nursing colleges, a school of dentistry and a pharmacological school. The Racine lands lie just outside the city and with the expansion of the medical facilities the land itself is now worth a fortune.

I pinched the bridge of my nose in frustration. “I have been told that Lady Viktora wishes to be reunited with her brother. Won’t the courts on Opta Terra find living on Indupar more advantageous for the boy?”

The barrister nodded. “I believe they will, but that doesn’t mean his mother’s relatives won’t get custody of him. I suspect they will demand to be allowed to live on Indupar with their adopted son.”

I blew out a frustrated breath. “How do we know money is a factor in their decision? They may have his best interests at heart.”

“There is a way to determine their motives, My Lord.”

My brow rose. “And that is?”

“Olaf Racine is dead. Lady Viktora is not yet eighteen. The Racine lands have effectively been forfeited to the crown. We can tell these prospective parents that they can adopt the child, but they should realize that the boy no longer has any claim to his ancestral lands and home.”

I groaned. “If Lady Viktora finds out she will be livid and positive that I was responsible for the death of her father.”

“If she wants her brother, sans money grubbing relatives, this is what we need to do.”

“Okay, let me tell her first.”

My lawyer put up his hand. “No, we want her furious at you. If she is all calm and collected, then the boy’s relatives won’t believe you have stripped them of their lands. We need an honest reaction from her.”

“Oh, no, no, no.” I muttered under my breath. “That sounds like a very bad idea. Can’t we just tell the family that I stripped Viktora and Nickolas of their title and family estate without actually doing so?”

He shook his head. “That would amount to fraud. You have to do it…or don’t do it and let them take the baby. You can still refuse to let them entry to the planet. The boy will live out his life on Opta Terra. You can transfer the money and title to Lady Viktora.”

“But she wants her brother with her.”

“Sire, I have advised you as to what to do.”

I shook my head. “I don’t want Viktora to know. Do the paperwork to take possession of the Racine property…but when you tell the relatives…offer them money to go away. Let them know that there is no future payoff, but if they drop their custody case, allow the boy to be with his sister, sign paperwork promising no future lawsuits, plus a non-disclosure agreement, then we will make them wealthy without having to care for a screaming baby.”

“That might work, Sire.” He stood and bowed. “I’ll get right on it, My Lord.”

It sounded like a good plan, but somehow I suspect it will come back to bite me in the ass.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Kahara likes this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Marcus is in a no-win situation currently with Viktora until and unless he finds the true culprits. And the solution to getting rid of the money grubbers really looks to be the best for everyone. They go away and Viktora and her brother stay together. And Marcus doesn't look like jerkface #1. :p =D=

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to review. Marcus is in a bad place. A person with as much money as him could pretty do anything he wants. That is what Viktora believes. And it is true...but Marcus only wants what is best for people. He is not evil. He uses his money for the good of his people. I guess he is a little too much Gary Stu (Male Mary Sue). He takes after his grandfather and father. He is a good guy.

Entry 28

And the ass biting has begun. Kriff!

I thought everything was going as planned. Once Nickolas was stripped of his title and lands, the prospective adopted parents were more than happy to take my money and leave the child alone. My legal team petitioned the court to allow the boy to be reunited with his sister on Indupar. We asked that guardianship of Nickolas to be given to me (since the world believes I am his cousin).

Everything was falling into place, but then my father’s curse hit me—the curse of the sludge media. As far as we could tell, the non-disclosure agreement with the boy’s relatives held firm. What I forgot is the media doesn’t really need facts before broadcasting gossip. They are more than happy to report fake news as long as it got them ratings. An investigative reporter realized that the guardianship of Nickolas Racine was in contention…and then it wasn’t. He also noticed that the relatives that once asked to adopt the boy suddenly fell into a large amount of money. Without any proof he reported that I paid the couple off to get them to drop their child custody petition. He then did a little more digging and discovered in the Indupar public records that I had taken possession of the Racine estate and surrounding lands...which he reported, and in doing so, made me look like an insensitive lout. What really pissed me off was that despite having little proof…he was absolutely right. There was no way I could defend myself from the truth.

The next thing I know Lady Viktora, followed closely behind by Taz, were in my office. Taz was trying to calm down my very irate cousin, but to no avail.

“You not only have my father killed, but you bribe officials and my brother’s relatives to get a hold of him. You steal our lands and now we are at your mercy!”

“Lady Viktora,” Taz said as she made a reassuring gesture. “Please, calm down. I am sure it is not as it seems.” She turned to me. “You didn’t do what the news media is reporting, did you?”

I slumped down in my office chair. “I did…but it was for the greater good.”

“I knew it,” Viki practically hissed. “I’m leaving. I’m going back to Opta Terra to live with my Uncle.”

She turned and was heading for the door when my words stopped her. “Little Nickolas is on the way to Indupar. I have been granted guardianship.” I rose from my chair and approached my cousin. “I did this for you. It was the only way to get your brother to Indupar.”

She turned and glared at me. “By stealing our family lands?”

I looked down at the floor. “Yes. In order to avoid a custody battle I had to take away the allure of money. His relatives wanted to gain the lifestyle of royalty through your brother. Once they knew he didn’t inherit his father’s title and riches…they decided he wasn’t worth adopting.”

Her eyes narrowed. “Are you saying you didn’t give them money to go away?”

“Oh, I did do that, in exchange for a non-disclosure agreement and paperwork promising they won’t try to sue for custody in the future.” I sighed deeply. “I thought you wanted your brother with you. I fully intend on reinstating your family lands back to you on your eighteenth birthday.”

“I’d have to be a fool to believe that.” She turned to Taz. “Do you believe a word he says?”

“Yes, I believe every word,” she stated confidently. “King Marcus has never lied to me. I have been by his side since he saved me from slavers. He has never done anything that would make me question his honor.”

Her fists clenched to her side as she drew in a harsh breath. “I don’t know why I even ask you. He is your king. You would lie for him.”

She twirled on her heel, intending on making a dramatic exit, but Taz reached out and caught her by her elbow and spun her back to face her. “I have never lied for my King…I never had to. I know you have gone through quite a trauma in the last year, but Marcus has nothing to do with any of it.”

Viki tried to twist out of Taz’s grasp, but it is hard to squirm out a cybernetic grip. “Lady Viktora, you need to calm down and wait for investigators to discover who is behind your father’s death. All you are doing now is hurting the one person who least deserves it.”

Viki struggled for a few more seconds before her strength falter and she broke down in tears. Taz let go of her elbow and enveloped her and a warm hug. “I know, I know,” Taz whispered. “Life gives us more than we believe we can endure…but we must endure. Have faith in God. He is nearer than you think, and he is looking out for you.”

Taz’s words appeared to calm Viki. Good, because they disturb me. If Viktora ever discovers who Taz worships…she might feel betrayed by those words of comfort.

Entry 29

Jedi Master Ben Skywalker returned from Opta Terra today and requested a meeting with me on Indupar. I greeted him warmly when he arrived at my quarters, hopeful that he had good news to share.

“Come on in.” I smiled and led him to my living room. “Would you like something to drink?”

“No thanks. I can’t stay long. I need to get back to my wife. She thinks I go on these Jedi missions to get out of diaper duty.”

I had to laugh. Ben and Valla became the proud parents of twins six months ago—a boy and a girl. I thought perhaps this is because twins ran in the Skywalker family, but my Uncle Jaden (who’s a doctor) informed me that having twins may run in families but it is from the mother’s side. This is why Zylie freaked out when I joked about her having triplets. Her sister had twins and if there was a genetic component, she might have multiple children also.

Ben took off his cloak and sat down on my couch. I took a seat across from him. “I have some good news and bad news.”

“What’s the good news?” I asked.

“I started my own investigation, but it was short lived. The local police are very competent and apprehended somebody for killing Olaf Racine. After seeing who they arrested I thought it best to recuse myself from the investigation entirely. In my opionion, nobody associated with the King of Indupar should be involved in the investigation and trial.”

My brow furrowed in confusion. “And why is that?”

Ben drew in a long breath and let it out. “That brings us to the bad news and I don’t think Lady Viktora is going to be happy. The local constables arrested her uncle, Kel Drager.”

“He’s the man who called her and said he thought I murdered her father!”

Ben nodded. “Yes, and that is why I should terminate further involvement. If I produced evidence against him, he could claim the Jedi were working to clear your name by framing him. With the Jedi Order’s Temple based on Ec Pand it wouldn’t be unreasonable to think we would defend our benefactor.”

“Kriff,” I muttered under my breath. “This is going to destroy Lady Viktora. She was talking about leaving Indupar to live with him. She just said that days ago and now he’s arrested. She’s going to think I'm responsible.”

“That is why I thought it prudent that Jedi involvement end. It is best that the local police finish their investigation.”

“Why would he do it?”

Ben looked up to the ceiling. “I really shouldn’t comment on an ongoing investigation. Sorry.”

I gave a curt nod as I sighed. “I understand.”

“The arrest will be made public later today. I thought you should know so you can prepare yourself for any blow back.”

“Thanks, Ben.”

He stood and pulled his cloak back on. “I can tell you that the evidence is overwhelming. Once Viktora sees it, she shouldn’t place blame on you.”

“Yeah, we’ll see.” I groused while walking my cousin to the door. “She’s not the most level-headed person at the moment.”

He smiled widely as he put a hand on my shoulder. “It will work out in the end. You’re a good man, Marcus. Eventually she will see you in the same light as the rest of your friends and family.”

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Kahara likes this.
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow, that was satisfying, they got the real culprit. That will devastate Viktora that it was her uncle but releve her and everyone else that Markus was not responsible.

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    wow what an update. Ben with twins, the real culprit arrested

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Hopefully she will come around, but for now I think things will get worse before it gets better.
    I had to give Ben some kids. We need more Skycrawlers in the universe.

Thanks everybody for reading and taking the time to review.

Entry 30

As I suspected, Viktora blamed me for her uncle’s arrest. She is positive that I am the mastermind of a huge conspiracy to destroy her entire family. Hopefully, when the evidence is revealed she will stop blaming me.

To be honest, I am a bit irritated over the entire matter. I have been nothing but friendly and accommodating to her. None of this is my fault. None of it! The Queen was pregnant with the King’s heir when Olaf Racine accused her of infidelity. Two paternity tests proved Olaf Racine was a liar and had defamed the throne. He placed himself into self-exile.

All of this happened prior to the Queen’s miscarriage…in fact the stress of his accusations was probably the reason she lost the baby.

It wasn’t until it was discovered that my mother, the Queen’s identical twin, was pregnant that the conspiracy to usurp the throne began. By then Racine was already hated by his countrymen. It is doubtful that he could retain the throne even if he did press the issue.

This is not my fault. I know it in my heart and soul…so why do I still feel guilty?
    Why…because I know I am a fraud. Viktora has the true claim to the throne. She is the one with Indupar blood flowing through her veins…not me.

I can’t abdicate, though. The seers have told me I need to be king. The future of the Indupar Crown Worlds depends on it. That is what they told me years ago…but now they are silent. They say the future is indiscernible, and for the first time in my life the H’Drachi High Seer appears terrified. He said whatever has happened in the future is unexpected and new…and it has shifted all the time streams to something dark and disquieting. Last month only the immediate future was blank to them, but now they can’t see anything.

I have tried to see the future myself, but the timestream has morphed into a swirling montage of images that eventually disappear into pit of blackness. I am not sure what it all means…if it means anything at all. Grand Master Skywalker once told me ‘the future is always in motion’.

There is nothing I can do about the future. There is nothing to see, so there is nothing to prevent.

Entry 31

Viktora’s birthday came and passed without fanfare. I did have Taz drive Viki out to her family estate and present her with the keys to her completely refurnished family mansion. Her father had bank accounts on Indupar that I unfroze. She shouldn’t want for anything. I also restored her and her brother’s titles. I am still disappointed as to how everything has turned out.

I liked her.

Entry 32

Little Nickolas Racine arrived on Indupar today. Taz brought him to my apartment. He’s a cute little chubby-cheeked guy. He has the Indupar family blond hair and blue eyes. He actually looks a little like me at that age. As you can imagine, he is upset over the loss of his parents. He is not old enough to verbalize it, but he bawled throughout most of our meeting. It wasn’t until Taz picked up the child and cuddled him that he settled down.

“You are one sweet little boy,” she cooed as she kissed the child’s cheek.

I watched them sadly. In my dreams Taz and I were married and had a child of our own. That is such a wonderful dream, but it is not to be. Even if she did overcome her abusive past, the slave masters ensured all their female slaves would remain barren. They used a chemical sterilization technique on the women that was highly effective and irreversible. Taz will never have children of her own.

Entry 33

Kel Drager, after seeing the mountain of evidence against him, pleaded guilty to double murder. It wasn’t until his plea deal was accepted (30 years in prison with the possibility of parole) that the motive behind the slayings was revealed. It was revenge. He blamed Olaf Racine and his new wife for the death of his sister. His sister became despondent upon discovering her husband’s affair and after he abandoned her and impregnated his girlfriend, she just lost the will to live. The police cracked this case so quickly because Olaf had a dashcam system in his vehicle that picked up the killer’s last words to him: ‘You’re the reason my sister is dead!

Kel Drager dressed up in his makeshift Indupar Knight outfit in order to deflect blame away from him. He knew Viktora was safe with me, but at the same time he knew it would look suspicious if he didn’t call her. So, he calls and tells her to stay at the palace because I wouldn’t dare make a move against her if she was under my protection.

I was hoping things would get back to normal between Viki and me once she realized I wasn’t responsible for her father’s death, but that is not the case. She is so upset with herself that she says she can’t face me.

'I just can’t win.'

I spoke the truth when I told my father, ‘I am no Talon Tantiss when it comes to the ladies’. In fact, that's an understatement. The woman I love took a vow of absence and the woman I thought I could learn to love says she can’t face me. Maybe I should take up Allana on her offer. Or better yet, die alone and have the history books describe the glorious achievements of Marcus, the virgin king.

‘Kriff!’

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Kahara likes this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    The case wrapped up and clarified very satisfactorily. I'm sad Taz can't be a mother, or have that choice. She has such a loving nature.
    Yikes, you can just feel Marcus' frustration with the whole incident with Viktora. :( She can't hold him responsible but she blames herself for not giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Worrisome indeed about the timestream. [face_worried] Not to be able to see anything? Ack! And that it suddenly happened... [face_thinking]

Jedi_Lover and Kahara like this.
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    sad about Taz. She can marry him and adopt children

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    We will find out what is wrong with the time stream in this post. I am going fairly quickly with this story. Marcus really loves Taz. Not being able to bear children is not really a stumbling block for him. It is Taz herself. She is too broken to have a physical relationship. That is why she became a Sister of the Bright Path. She doesn't believe she can ever overcome the trauma of her time as a slave. She wants what is best for Marcus and in her mind it is not her.
    Taz won't marry him. She loves him, but she still has lingering psychological problems relating to sexual trauma. She can't enter a physical relationship. She loves him, but she can't bring herself to indulge in a physical relationship.

Thanks everybody for reading!
    Entry 34

Something is wrong. I was asked to provide a large garrison on Ec Pand to guard the stygium crystals mined there. According to the Grand Master, the Jedi are taking part in a huge joint training mission involving all branches of the Galactic Alliance military. My kingdom is not part of the Galactic Alliance, so I wasn’t given more information about the exercise. I asked my grandfather and father about it, but their old contacts refused to discuss the mission stating it was classified.

I talked to the H’Drachi seers, but they are just as clueless as I am. What is going on?

Entry 35

My father and grandfather came to my quarters today and I was shocked by their appearance. I am positive both have been crying.

“What’s wrong?” My voice cracked with emotion as my brain frantically sorted through a multitude of worst-case scenarios. “Is grandmother okay?”

The two men looked at each other and shook their heads sadly. “Your grandmother is fine, but something horrible has happened.” My father’s voice was low and husky. “Something very bad for all of us.”

My grandfather put a hand on my shoulder and guided me to my sitting area. “Sit down Marcus. We got the news today from Luke.”

My chest tightened and my breath became ragged. “What happened?”

We all sat down on my couch. My grandfather dragged in a deep breath and let it out slowly before beginning his story. “Last year there was supernova explosion within the Korrnacht Cluster which is very near the galaxy core. As you probably know, scientists usually ignore that area of our galaxy because it is devoid of habitable planets. But the supernova got telescopes to focus on that stretch of space and a couple months ago scientists spotted a fast-moving cosmic cloud in the area and decided to investigate. The unusual movement of the cloud indicated there might be a highly dense object inside. X-Ray telescopes spotted a rogue black hole within the cloud. It probably has been moving through the area for centuries and it was only now detected because of the latest interest in that area. The black hole is heading toward the inner core where it will easily cause gravitational disruptions of any solar system along its path.”

“Worse of all,” my father interjected. “It is on a collision path with the supermassive black hole in the center of our galaxy. If they collide it will be a cataclysmic event, releasing enough energy to destroy every known planet in our galaxy and probably the nearby Firefist galaxy.”

I sat stunned for a few seconds as I tried to process the knowledge that everybody I know and love was going to die…possibly soon. I opened my mouth to talk but my stomach lurched causing me to bend over and dry gag. When I finally got control of my emotions I turned to my father. “What is being done to prevent this tragedy.”

Dad shook his head sadly. “The Galactic alliance have used the Galaxy gun, the Sun Crusher, Baradium missiles, and even Centerpoint the Darksaber battle stations in attempt to alter the trajectory of the black hole. As you can imagine, everything shot toward it was sucked in with no effect. The Galactic Alliance then brought in the Jedi. There was a hope that it could be repelled back to unknown space using the Force. At first only the GA Jedi were used. The government wanted to keep this problem a secret, so the public doesn’t panic and riot or attempt to flee to other planets in a hopeless attempt to escape the devastation.”

“The GA has now called for other Force users to help,” my grandfather said. “The Imperial Knights are traveling to the Korrnacht Cluster and your Dad and I are going out there to help. We want permission to bring some your best Indupar Knights with us.”

“Yes, of course, bring them all.” I said adamantly. “And I am going to.”

“No,” my dad said. “It is too dangerous.”

I had to laugh. “If I understood you correctly…we are all doomed unless we can alter the course of this cosmic cloud hiding a black hole. I am in danger no matter where I am in this galaxy.”

My father and grandfather glanced at each other before my grandfather continued. “Marcus, there are no hyperspace lanes mapped out far enough to escape the kill zone. If a person tries to fly to another galaxy without predetermined coordinates the likelihood of survival is near zero…unless they are a seer. You could plot a path and then use your precognition to see if you will survive the journey. You could lead people to safety while the rest of the Jedi attempt to divert the rogue black hole.”

I shook my head. “The H’Drachi seers and I are now Force-blind when it comes to the future…maybe because there is no future for any of us. I can’t plot an escape route…but I can help the Jedi.” I looked to my father and grandfather. “If we’re going to die, I want to die with my family surrounding me.”

Both nodded their heads. My father wrapped an arm around me. “Alright. Can we all go on your capital ship? We can bring the entire family…so we can be together at the end.”

“Dad, you make it sound like it’s hopeless.”

He looked down at the ground. “If the entire Jedi order couldn’t move that object, I don’t know what a few more Force users can do.”

“We need to keep the faith, dad.”

My father stood, his face etched with sorrow. “It’s hard to keep my hopes up, but I’ll try, son.”

“Uncle Luke would say, ‘do or…”

“Stop!” My father waved me off. “I have always hated that Yoda quote. Of course, there is a try. Luke has been trying for the last few weeks and so far, it has been ‘do not’.

I averted my gaze. “Sorry dad.”

“No, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t snap at you. It’s just…” He closed his eyes and wiped away tears. “This should be a happy time. I have a new baby on the way. Ben has two kids in diapers still.” He gazed at me sadly. “I was hoping to have grandchildren of my own someday.”

I felt sick watching my father so ravaged by emotion. I don’t think I have ever seen him cry before. “When do you want to leave?” I asked.

My grandfather stood and joined my dad. “As soon as possible, Marcus.”

Entry 36

I called for Taz. I swore her to secrecy and then told her the bad news. “I want you to come with me to the Korrnacht cluster.”

Her brow furrowed. “Why? I’m not a Force user.”

I reached out and took her hands in mine. “T’Zana, if we are near the end of days, I want to spend my remaining hours with you by my side.”

She turned away. “Marcus, please don’t.”

“I’m not asking anything from you that you haven’t already given me. Friendship. That’s all I want. I want my best friend by my side to encourage me and give me some company in what might be my last hours.”

“How long until the collision?”

“Three weeks until gravitational waves caused by the black hole start affecting the orbits of the core planets…probably a few more weeks until impact. The cosmic cloud hid the danger for a very long time. There is nowhere safe to evacuate to…that is why the governments are suppressing the truth from the public. They don’t want their last weeks of life filled with horror.”

I was disappointed when Taz slowly pulled her hands free from mine, but she reached up and cupped my face in her palms. “Marcus, you can divert the danger. I know you can.”

I stepped away, slightly irritated. I know she was suggesting my so-called divinity means I could snap my fingers and make the danger disappear. “Taz, you know I’m not a god. Please don’t bring that up again…especially to anybody else. I am not going to build up hope in people only to be horribly disappointed when we all know nothing can save them.”

She gave me a disapproving look. “I won’t say anything to anybody, but you have to stop this defeatist talk. The Marcus I know can do things that no other Force user can accomplish. You walked through a Force shield to kill a Nagai General. Not even the Grand Master can do that.”

I blushed slightly. “I walked through the shield using a new technology that I haven’t shared with the rest of the galaxy. It had nothing to do with the Force.”

Her eyes went wide. “You let people believe you did that with the Force.”

I turned away, not wanting to see the disappointment in her eyes. “Yes, because I wanted to deter people from attacking the Indupar Crown Worlds.”

She heaved a sigh. “I understand. You want to keep us safe.” She put a hand on my shoulder and glided around to face me. “Marcus, I’ll go with you. I want to be with you always. I know I have…problems that prevent me from loving you physically, but I do love you with all my heart and soul.” She leaned forward and rested her head on my shoulder.

I reached up and enveloped her in a warm hug. “I love you too, Taz.”

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha and Kahara like this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow... That is one daunting and horrific situation [face_nail_biting] I am happy the Tantiss family will be all together whatever happens @};-