main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Deadpool, the (Golden Globe-nominated) Movies!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, May 6, 2009.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Haven't watched that scene yet as I'll be purchasing the Blu Ray and want to get my money's worth.

Since the movie made it's theatrical run and it's been well past the requirement of spoiler tags, I'm just going to go full on spoiler talk.

I didn't like Vanessa was killed off. Not so much because of the "Women in Fridge" flack the film received, which is a part of it, but because she was regulated to that role in the first film and I was hoping they would develop and grow her character in the sequel. Additionally, despite the Ah Ha imagery homage to the Take On Me music video, I really didn't care for plot device. The heart and backbone for the original Deadpool film was the relationship between Wade and Vanessa ( so much so, part of the marketing was the film was a Valentines Day movie), so killing Vanessa also killed off the heart and soul for the franchise. Every time Wade visit Vanessa in "the afterlife" it ruin the pace and tone of the film, into this awkward pause of the flow of the story and unfitting melancholy, which doesn't pay off at the end; especially when the end credit retcon the entire thing. It really unbalances the tone of the film.

As for Cable, I thought James Brolin did a fine job as the character, but I don't like the adaptation and future he was set in, as this iteration of Cable is a family man and living in a very nice home in a world free from an apocalyptic nightmare; which doesn't garner the harden/battle ridden imagery that comes along with the character. I think of Cable being a dark character that could be "from the DC Universe" because of his life in a dystopic world. In the film, the made Cable hardened because of the death of this family. So, it will be interesting to see how the character is handled now that the death of his family has been averted.

One of the best parts of the film was seeing Juggernaut. I thought he looked great and was so delighted when he battle Colossus. Such fan service.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I haven’t seen it since opening weekend, but didn’t Cable become hardened/battle ridden in it because his family gets killed?

This is purely from the film, I haven’t read the comics.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I agree with your entire post, but yeah, Cable not starting out in his dystopian setting short-shrifted the character.

BTW apparently
    Ryan Reynolds mo-capped Juggernaut. The actor who played Colossus mentioned it somewhere. I have read so much in the past few days.

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Trust me, you don't want to delve too much into the unholy mess that is Cable's comic book history.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The sequel was more of the same, but good lord that opening with the wind up toy.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    [​IMG]

Amazon's description of the Deadpool 2, with the appropriate response from "Wade" himself:
    [​IMG]

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    DP hijacks Honest Trailers:

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right, in the comics, he was just raised in an apocalyptic future where the X-Men were long dead and Apocalypse had taken over.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    That was another funny Deadpool take over of Honest Trailers.

So, there was a release of Deadpool 2 concept art, which were based on Tim Miller's directorial vision and it included different looks for Juggernaut, Domino and an appearance of The Fantastic Four, to which The Thing has pants and a tank top.

[​IMG]

DEADPOOL 2 CONCEPT ART FEATURES FANTASTIC FOUR

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmgXayJA2iF/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ‘Deadpool 2’ Extended Cut Review: Is More Better?

[​IMG]

I personally think Deadpool 2 was along the same lines of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2, not as good as the original but not a bad film. They just focused more on setting up jokes and laughs than a strong plot and heart felt story.

Master_Lok likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Basically, the parachute sequence and the mid credits scene were utterly hilarious (much like the highway overpass scene in the original DP) and I enjoyed Cable, but otherwise, not the superhero satire I’d hoped.

I think the author is right about DP being a secondary character going forward (as great as Ryan is), I think he’ll be perfect in X-Force in that role, but Wade’s storyline just did not click for me here. I adored the promo materials leading up to the release though: I think these were a lot funnier than most of the movie.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think Wade's story works better upon repeat viewings- it's just oddly paced that it even kinda threw a DP fan like myself off a bit. It felt more natural during my second viewing. It isn't as focused as the first film was, though, since it's trying to weave more plotlines together. The first had a simple revenge plotline following/interwoven with an origin story and love story, this one has the suicide/depression, the love story/visions, the Terminator scenario with Cable and the kid, X-Force, Deadpool's jobs between films and even a small arc with Wade's friendship with Collosus.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and Master_Lok like this.
  15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    You explained that so well. It was very chaotic. Sadly, DP2 did not sustain my interest enough to want to see it again; but I will happily watch all the promos leading up to it. I guess that best describes me with DP, I just want the funny stuff, because they nail that when they’re focusing on the laughs, but the dramatic elements get in the way for me. [face_dunno]:p

Glad you’re enjoying it in revisits.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, despite the pacing issues, I think it remained funny throughout. However, treating Deadpool in strictly comedic terms can lead to the worst of the character- so you really do need that dramatic facet to be present somewhere amongst the zaniness. If that part wobbles, the whole can suffer.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I gave the super-duper cut a shot. I still love the movie and this does have more stuff (Wade's attempted suicide montage was hilarious and we get more of the kid to establish things, the baby Hitler stuff actually has an end-of-credits post-credit tag and more of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine saying "what?" "Huh!") but some of the alternate takes aren't quite as funny, which is weird. And there's some straight up omissions, no Wade wearing Cerebro and saying it "smells like Patrick Stewart" and, most disappointingly, Ah-Ha's acoustic "Take On Me" isn't there at all. It's instead an acoustic-y version of "Ashes" which doesn't hit nearly as effectively. I do recommend giving it a whirl but unlike say "Aliens", "Abyss", "Lord of the Rings", "Batman V Superman: Ultimate Cut" or most specifically "X-Men: Days of Future Past - the Rogue Cut", this version doesn't supplant the original. Worth a look, though! Then just rewatch the OG cut of DP2 whenever.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So would you say it's bad stock, wouldn't make a fine slave?

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    nah still a really fun watch but the original cut is the leanest / has the best gags / super important emotional musical cue. (like the whole Take On Me music video callback in the movie itself when Vanessa pulls Wade through the wall and gets de-scarred doesn't make a damn lick of sense if it's just "Ashes" again. And Ashes works great in the opening but not quite as a callback)

20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I watched Deadpool 2 the other day and I think I enjoyed it more upon my second watch (the first being in the theater).

The one thing I didn't get was the whole Yukio and Deadpool dynamic. Did they give her the smile and wave repeated line 2-3 times in the movie just so she had something to say? Did she originally have more of a part? They don't seem to know each other beforehand. I didn't realize she was a mutant until she showed up in the end for one quick scene. I thought she was there to kind of soften the image of NTW a bit.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Was it not a joke that that was the only thing she could say in English? I thought it was obvious when I watched it, but perhaps I'm remembering wrong?

22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    She appeared to be fluent in English, especially at the end when she voiced her opinion to NTW that she didn't think it was a good idea to fix and give the time slider to Wade.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The joke is that Yukio liked, and was polite to, Wade while NTW didn't/wasn't.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Remember this is still loosely based on "The Wolverine" version, where Yukio was a Mutant.

25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I didn't realize Yukio was in "The Wolverine". I just remember an atom bomb, a horrible CGI fight scene, and Professor X and Magneto end credit scene.