main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Dear Diary Challenge 2008 And the Winner is....?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Weekly updates are hard. I make notes but I write my entries in one night, mostly. Those are the times I hardly get any sleep and I seem like a Zombie the next day. :p

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Weekly updates... I can never, ever do them. They are so hard! 8-}

I just realized that I never really did any of the monthly challenges. :p I suppose I'll have to do June... but how to get Keri something that she has deserved for a long time? [face_thinking]

3. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    What about nasty news about her ex?:p

4. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Any chance of a new discussion soon? [face_batting]

5. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Does that mean:

a) you have no trouble with your schedule :eek:

or

b) you have a topic?[face_batting]

6. Myriad_Daydreams

Jun 22, 2007
    I don't think I would ever update weekly... that would just about kill me [face_laugh] Twice a month works...

And I'll brainstorm some, if you'd like! :D

7. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    So far, all my pleas for discussion topics came up dry, so I'd be very happy. :D

So, am i the only one updating weekly?:confused: :oops:
    I'm not even competing. *headdesk*

8. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    I've got a topic for discussion.

How do you guys go about jumping ahead in time with a diary format? I need to jump ahead a couple of years and I'm not quite sure how to go about doing it. I do know though that if I keep documenting every mission my character ever had, a. he'd get bored, b. so would my muse :p I'm really struggling with this one, so would like some input. :D I've already done a couple time jumps for just weeks at a time, but I need to move years. And another question, how can you do action from a diary pov? It's not like the character can whip out a journal and just start describing in the middle of it, and it's never as exciting from a post occurrence pov.

9. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, it all depends on how good the character is at telling what happened LOL

I'd think Qui-gon would be a good story teller

10. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Say he lost his diary and just found it again or something. he can then skip over the passed years with nothing much but highlighting the most important bits.
    That's what I'd do.

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_laugh]

If someone can arrive to tell her that. :p

Jinngerbread, I'm not too sure how to answer that. Maybe he lost interest in writing in his diary for a bit, or forgot to write in it? Or, as Lanna says, lost it. :p

12. Myriad_Daydreams

Jun 22, 2007
    Jinngerbread-- My diary character often has months-long gaps between entries, and his excuse is the infamous "I haven't had time to write". Every single time. :p

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm curious, how many people have gaps in their diaries? (BTW, Myriad, that makes perfect sense. I used to try to keep a personal diary, but I kept forgetting to write or didn't have the time to write! [face_laugh] ) My entry hasn't missed a day yet, but I think its because my character is very, very, very alone (except for an annoying droid) and needs someone to talk to, so she talks to herself. :p And her droid. ;) Hence the reason she has written every single day so far in her diary. Plus, she doesn't really have anything better to do, except for look for food and water because she's stranded on an isolated planet. :p

14. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    sorry wrong thread

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I update mine whenever I can be bothered. A few times I've put off writing an update so that the interval between updates fits what the update will contain. I think my character would update every day given enough time to do so, but writing an entry whenever there's big news works better for me.

16. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    If I had to update once a week I think I would die. I barely sit down to do it every other week! But that's just me, even though I absolutely love to write, sometimes I just don't have the patience. When I feel like a plot bunny is going to start dribbling out of my head or something, then I write multiple updates at a time and can update quicker.

17. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    Okay, shame on me, this month needs a Mini-Challenge.:oops:

So here it is: Heat!
    Let's melt the ice of Hoth, rival the fires of Mustafar, but remember the ToS.;)

This challenge idea is from Alexis_Wingstar.:)

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I update mine once every 10 days or more and have enough storylines. Some diaries have gaps of days and others of months and even years. Diarists can be busy :D and I try to do every mini-challenge.

19. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001

You shouldn't have written that. Because when I saw "heat" I hadn't even been thinking about that sort of heat. But saying remember the ToS has got me thinking! [face_plain] You're mean. :p

20. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm not sure there'll be much heat in mine, but I'll give it a go.

21. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    :p Ceillean.
    I'm here to give you ideas. So, how hot will your guys get now?[face_mischief]

22. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    backdrafts are hot and an exploding At-At too. Seedy districts give another kind of heat.

Only the backdraft is in the published update but the other things will be in the next one.

Heat, after five days of heat being driven away by thunderstorms.:cool:

23. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001

Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! :p
    Yeah, you're definately here to give ideas. Und was für welche! :p

24. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I should insert clones to my story. Now that would be so hot...[face_mischief]
    *gets banned for steamy ToS violations*
    :oops:

Maybe I should try to set up a 'Scrape the ToS'-Challenge one day. Write a fic that almost is too much.[face_thinking]

25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Oh, heat's a good topic. :D This one should be easy... [face_whistling]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.