main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Dear Diary Challenge 2008 And the Winner is....?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I keep forgetting to update my diary fic, I don't have much time during the day and I'm too tired at night. :_|

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Vacations are sweet, but I doubt my character will be able to get one in. Unless you look at her situation in the right light and say that she's already on vacation... [face_thinking]

moosemousse -- [:D] I know how you feel. :( I haven't been updating mine as often as I want either.

3. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    I really don't think Qui-Gon will get a vacation, he got one on Naboo, sort of in the course of a mission. :p

That was probably all he'll get, depending on what mood I'm in. ;)

4. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Get yourself a schedule and keep it.:p
    It drives you crazy, but at least, there'll be upates. ;)
    And I am still pretty normal, right?
    Right?[face_worried]

5. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Of course you're normal, Mel! [:D]
    It's the other people around you that aren't. :p

6. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I've finally got an update sort of done, complete with mini challenge. It's one good thing about insomnia. [face_dancing]

Only a few days left of this month and I'm curious as to what the next mini challenge will be. [face_thinking]

7. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    Ha! New topic time.
    For all those who are still around, or maybe even those who left because it was so boring in here:
    How to improve this Challenge?

I am doing this the second year and though I think this one is going slightly better than the first round... *shrug*
    There is always something to improve. Tell me about it![face_batting]

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Hmmm, that's a tricky question. There's not really much that can be done to improve the basic challenge, or at least I don't think there is. What could be done is to have the diary about someone other than the OC who's writing it, eg a Jedi is keeping a diary about their Padawan. The mini challenges have been good, maybe a bit of variation could improve things, like having a list of words that need to be included, a first sentence, or having to include a type of object.

9. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I agree with moosemousse. There's not really much to be improved upon. If you start adding different challenges, then that may spice up the stories especially if DWB is involved. Though, like you've been requiring all along, they need to be kept optional, which I think is a good idea. Some stories need the challenges, but some don't, so I wouldn't ever make it a requirement.

Maybe have it be more than one diary; the main person and maybe another each writing diaries from a different point of view. I think that would be pretty unique. I wouldn't get too carried away with it being more than two or three different diaries, otherwise, they might as well just start dual diaries like some already have.

So, using Moosemousse's example, the Jedi Master could be keeping a diary about their Padawan, but also the Padawan could be keeping a diary about their Jedi Master. Each would be from their own point of view. Each would obviously be different. The Jedi Master could be remarking about their difficulties with the Padawan and vice versa, but each view would be unique to that individual. It definitely might be interesting.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I just love the way how they are done this year.
    The little challenges are nice and should remain optional

11. mujapple-juicey

mujapple-juicey Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2008
    Can I participate?

12. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    If you start a diary right now, the diary won't b elligible for voting at the end of the year. Feel free to start a diary at the beginning of next year, though, if there is a DDC next year, that is. :)

13. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    New month, new mini-challenge!

Lack thereof

You know those situation when there is something your really, really need and nothing else will do. Good. Get your character into one, let things look well that he/she might get it, but then let there be lack of whatever it is.[face_devil]

And there will be a DDC next year again. :D Though I feel like taking a break, Alexis feels like taking over![face_dancing]

14. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Cool mini-challenge, M'Lanna.

Okay, I was only considering taking the reins next year! Would someone like to be my co-host? [face_praying]

15. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I'll be there for co-hosting, Alexis, never fear.[:D]
    I just have it up to here, the daily updating, to be exact. It doesn't take long, but it lasts the whole year.8-}

16. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Okay then :D Now I'll just have to remember to log into the sock every day next year. :p That's where you'll have to kick my tuckus. ;)

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Alexis: I recommend that you use a different browser for DDC sock, that way you just have to open it and do stuff instead of logging out of your regular name, logging in as the sock, sorting things outs, logging out of the sock, and then logging back in as your regular username. You can also do DDC stuff *and* post with your normal username at the same time if you do this. :)

18. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Hm... I'll try that, thanks for the suggestion. :)

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Not long left to go before this is over. :(

Although it's kinda not that bad, after the next few entries I'll be stuck for ideas. :oops:

20. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Not worried for the end this time. I know it'll just keep going and going and going for some time to come.:oops:

21. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    So, this gave me the idea for a new topic:

Do you plan to finish the Diary in December?
    How clear is that end for you already?

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I plan to finish it at the end of December with the last entry being the day before Fete Week begins. I'm hoping it'll have a happy ending, but I don't know yet. It could all be doom and gloom. :(

23. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I don't think that I will be able to end my diary in December. There will still be lots of years that Ben (Obi-wan) has to wait for Luke to reach the age that they finally get together. So, really, if a diary challenge is done again next year, I may just continue the one that I've been doing this year with Obi-wan and his years on Tatooine.

24. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Meb's and Asta's diaries will end, as will "Side by Side". Though "Side by Side" will spawn a fic in which I tell the whole story behind the diary, as the diary (ies) it/themselves don't tell the whole story, but just what the diarists (Padme/Angel and Obi-wan/Ben) choose to tell. As for Kavin's diary, like last year, that part of Kavin's journal will be closed and next year I will pick up several years later. I definitely will not be doing multiple diaries next year! [face_laugh]

25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    With my crazy schedule, I doubt I'll be able to finish Keri's diary in December. I have a place where I want it to go, I just can't seem to get there yet because Dsrth School bars the way. :rolleyes: 8-}

edit -- besides, I started mine in February, so I plan to go to at least the end of January. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.