main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Dear Diary Challenge 2008 And the Winner is....?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    Hmmm... ((rubs chin)) This could be rather interesting. Um, question, can you use OCs? If you can, then count me in! :D[

Whoops, heehee, it says right at the top that I can use OCs. :)

2. DarthJainaSolo

DarthJainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2007
    I'll participate in this one. I love writing in a diary format - I think I know exactly what I'm going to write about!

3. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    I'm sure you can, moose. :D

Sounds good, AnakinGirl05. You should have plenty experience with diaries now.:)

RX_Sith I hope it will be plenty.

BigFatty A diray might be good way to get a character out of your head. It might do just the opposite, too, though.;)

Lilith Demodae You don't have to decide anything yet. And if you can't decide, you can write more than one diray. Double the work, though...

karebear24 Do or do not, there is no try. ;) And I really hope there won't be so many such early drop-out this year.

silverfighter I see you found the rules. Everything else should be a piece of cake.;)

Good premises, DarthJainaSolo. I hope you'll have fun.:)

4. C1-J2

C1-J2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2007
    This sounds like fun! Count me in! Hopefully it will get me past my months long writers block (nano was supposed to do that but it didn't quite work) and hopefully I'll get my laptop working again![face_dancing]

5. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Well, I must be crazy. I never like to post anything before it's finished, but this is a unique format.

I'll go for Luke, immediately post ROTJ, looking for Jedi. Now that we know what happens in the prequels, I can put in my 30 years of speculation about what Luke did then. Definitely AU since I think the EU would have quite, quite different had the writers but known what the prequels would bring forth.

However, while Luke might say something here and there, it would have to be C3PO maintaining the diary. I just can't see Luke keeping up a diary for long before it gets forgotten amidst other things.

6. DancesWithBlasters

DancesWithBlasters Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 22, 2006
    I'm going to try this again! I was actually thinking of picking up my old diary for a while now, and here's the perfect opportunity to start afresh.

I'll be using my OC, Sarama, from my last diary, but it's going to be set a decade later, in a Post RoTs AU. (As you might be able to tell, this idea has been floating around for a while now.)

Oh, man, now I'm pumped!

7. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I can hardly wait for January! *Eagerly rubs hands together*

8. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    I think I've lost my mind, but...I think I'll try this one. The entries don't have to be long, and seeing as all I've written lately has been long, it might be a nice change of pace. And since I write first person POV anyway, that part won't feel any different. I'm not sure who I will write yet, though...you said that we could do canon characters, but I know last year's challenge was supposed to be OC...ah, well, I'll see if anyone in particular speaks to me before January. ;)

9. Blue_but_beautiful

Blue_but_beautiful Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    I enjoyed reading this years diary challenge responses so I may give this a go in 2008, don't quote me on that yet though ;)
    I've not written anything in diary format before ( save for a diary I kept from 11 through 17 lol) so it might be an interesting challenge to try :)

10. katha

katha Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    I doubt any of ya'll even remember me, but I've been lurking around.
    I'm going to get in on this as an exercise to fill in some background on some of my OCs

Here's to the new year! Looking forward to what everyone comes up with. :D

11. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    I know I crashed on last years diary but a rabid plot bunny is chewing at my leg. I guess I'll just have to enter again. Maybe this bunny won't be as exhausting as a Taryn was.

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ohhh! I didn't get to participate this past year, but I'm excited to do it this coming year!! :D

Here's hoping I'm better at this than I was at Nano, and the drabble challenge!! :)

I'm really gonna try to do this! Maybe I need to find a buddy to keep me going on it!

*Starts to ponder who I'm gonna write*

13. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    I have a question... In the diaries can more then one person write? What I mean is, if one character starts to write in one diary, can another character pick up where the last left off?

And mavjade, I would be your buddy to make sure that you keep writing! I was just thinking about finding someone who was writing in this challenge to keep me writing as well. :)

14. dark_jedi_lover

dark_jedi_lover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2004
    Hmm, I might join in. I already have it established in my mind that one of my OC's used to write in a journal...this thread has got me itching to find out what he actually wrote in it.

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Do you mean they share a diary or they write their own diaries? One book that springs to mind is Bar Stoker's Dracula, an epistolary novel told through the perspectives of different characters at different times.

16. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    It is fun, C1-J2. :D And not that much work. Small bits are enough, so fighting DWB with it is possible.

We all are, ardavenport.;) The idea sounds interesting.

Welcome back DancesWithBlasters.:)

Another 19 days, Alexis, get a countdown.;)

Qwi_Xux, you can write canon or OC, no instructions from me there.:)

*doesn't quote Blue_but_beautiful - yet*
    The format has it's very own advantages - and disadvantages.

Ocs are very welcome, katha. And I'm not around long enough to remember anybody.;)

[face_shame_on_you] Lea-El. Crahsing your old diray was not nice. Don't do this again. Please?[face_batting]

I can poke you on demand, mavjade. [face_mischief]

Well, silverfighter, one of the challenges with the format is that you just have that one person's pov. If you need more, you can always add a companion piece. Or if your diary keeper gets killed suddenly and a very close friend decides to keep it in his/her honour. PM me with the specifics and we'll talk about it.:)

It might indeed be interesting, dark_jedi_lover. Especially, if he never wanted anybody to find out.[face_mischief]

17. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    I'm going to jump in.

I already have a diary type series that I just started back up but I want to give this one a go...

Do we have to say whose diary this will be?

and Can it go in conjunction with another story we're already doing as long as it's the event of a year?

Sorry about the questions.

18. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I've got an idea for a canon character and I'm going to use that for a Saga diary. I'm looking forward to this, and I hope to get several posts written before the New Year! [face_mischief]

19. DarthJainaSolo

DarthJainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2007
    I have a question about an idea I have for this: would it be okay for the diary to be a series of letters (or, really, one long letter) to someone else. I'm thinking something along the lines of James Patterson's Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, if anyone has actually heard of that. It is a diary, only it would be written to someone else, not to herself. I thought I would ask before I got ahead of myself.

Anyway, I have two characters in mind - both canon (though one just barely so), one from beyond the saga (Tahiri) and one from before (Morgana Onasi).

20. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    hyperspace_police, you don't have to tell us. Still, it should be clear that it's the same person each time. And it can go with any story you want. just remember that it might be easier to read, if you don't HAVE to read the other strory that goes with it.:)

[face_shame_on_you] Vadey, no writing until the 1st of January.

Um DarthJainaSolo, I have not thought about that yet. I see no big problems if it still looks more like a diray than a letter.[face_thinking]

21. Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr

Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2002
    I have a stupid question - as I have never done anything like this before, where do we post our diary entries? Is it here on this board or do we post them in the forum which best fits the catagory of the diary? [face_blush]

22. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    The diary gets it's own thread in the appropriate era. In case of doubt, ask which one that would be.

Last year we started with over 50 Diaries. Putting them all into the central thread would certainly have been overkill.[face_hypnotized]

23. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
  24. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm so excited for this!!

And I've heard of that book :)

25. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    VaderLVR64: I hope to get several posts written before the New Year!

Shh! You're not supposed to post that!

*sigh*

One of these days, I'm going to compile a guide to Internet sneakiness. :p

moosemousse: As it's a diary I figure it might help to know the dating systems.

Er . . .

Thanks for the link, but I'm not sure how much help it would actually be. Because, you see, the Galactic Standard Calendar is based on the planet Coruscant and, well -

Take Tatooine, for example. According to Wookieepedia, the sandbox has a 23-hour day and a 304-day year. BTW, that's 304 local days. Those of you with a calculator and/or a case of terminal boredom can compare that to Coruscant (24 hours a day, 368 days a year).

. . . And you thought it was a headache figuring out time zones on the other side of the continent. :D

To add to the confusion, recent EU (notably the Clone Wars) uses a 12-month calendar instead of the 10-month one mentioned in moosemousse's link. As far as I know, the names of those months haven't been published.

Personally, I think it's better to be vague ("next month", "last summer", "a couple of weeks ago", etc.) or stick to the Gregorian calendar but use numbers instead of month names.

'Course, it's your fic and you're free to do as you wish. :)

- lazy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.