main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge ~ Dear Diary Challenge 2009 ~ Challenge Finished: WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    Okay, so I waded through the whole index, looked at each and every diary and made the changes.
    If there's anything I overlooked or got wrong - bad luck. [face_not_talking]
    :p

Naw, just tell me what I overlooked. After a few hours in front of the comp, I tend to get bad eye-sight. [face_hypnotized]

2. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Yay!!! The index is back!

I haven't missed any updates from the start either. I've been updating pretty much weekly. I have enough material to last the rest of the year.

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

I wanted to start my sequel for next year but I guess we're supposed to wait till the new year to do that. :p

3. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Yay!

Thank you, thank you, for doing this for us!

4. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    And I'm glad the index is being maintained, too. :)

5. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Did I not say NO POSTING OF UPDATE LINKS!
    [face_shame_on_you]
    I think I did.
    So please, remove it.[face_batting]
    By now sending a pm to the sock will work fine.
    If you see I didn't log in to the sock for a day, kick my shebse.

6. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    I was being sarcastic... also sent a PM to the sock. (But yes... linky removed.) o_O

7. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Thank you, Daena.:D
    I know poeple did it before and I didn't react so badly.
    But it's the rules, and there was a warning.
    I hope it came across as a warning?[face_worried]

And looks as if it's not in Teh Rules, so sorry.*
    It's the way I set it up when it started, so it's ingrained in me.[face_blush]

*Will be amended next year. Promise.

8. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Came across as something different from a warning, really. [face_tired] (And don't worry. Understand now. ;) )

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    *rushes into thread* Whee! So there will be a challenge next year? [face_dancing] [face_dancing] I was hoping for a whisper of a hint! Yippee!! I started some entries just in case LOL

*rushes off to savor & anticipate*

:D

10. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Oh, phew.
    Good to know this sorted, Daena.
    And next time, I'll make more clear what's a warning and what for.[face_blush]

Well, Jade-eyes, let's say it depends on how well this year's batch behaves itself.[face_mischief]
    :p

11. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    Lets have some discussion!
    Thanks to Daena for coming up with this great topic![:D]

In the diary you are bound to the perspective of your protagonist. As the story proceeds, does his point of view change? How much? And how do you show this?

12. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I'm so sorry for disappearing everyone. Thanks for taking over MsLanna. [:D] I had bunches of RL stuff thrown at me, including a computer virus scare then my mouse died. I'm not sure I can take back over the challenge right now though.

13. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I actually added a second perspective, a second diary as it were. I think the different perspective was important to get across what's happening in the main character's head, even though she's not all that aware of it. That's the problem with diaries. If the person writing them is unaware of something, or actively lying to themselves, there's not an easy way to show that without changing perspective.

14. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I've stuck to the same perspective all the way through. To get a different perspective it might be possible to do a 'Character thinks . . ' type thing where the diary writer comments on what someone else thinks.

15. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Haven?t stuck to the same character POV this whole time because it?s a round robin diary where the character whose journal it is wants to know things about this and that. And other characters butt in occasionally. (Okay, so it?s nearly every entry that that happens?)

Have been reading books with a first person perspective to get the hang of it since my default is third person.

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
  17. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    No - one for the downsides (or upsides) of doing something purely humorous is that there really isn't much in the way of character developement. Which makes like easier, but also harder - how do you keep the character interesting when not much changes?

18. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    That's the problem I'm dealing with right now. [face_plain] How to keep things interesting when there isn't a lot to tell? [face_thinking]

19. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    The only idea I have is make a cut and jumpt to the part where you can tell something again. If tehre's nothing left to tell... end of story?:confused:
    It's one of my biggest problems, too. How to bridge the bits where nothing happens. It is difficult to say, okay, one month later... Though if nothing happens - why not?

About perspective - I rather like how the first eprson limits the access to data. You can just write anything and retcon it out again later by adding new data. For TRIDU I did that. There's the scene very much at the beginning, where I tell everything I know. But I am so drugged that later on I don't remember anything of it. Neat to blame everything on, that the other characters should not have known.
    Or you have other characters tell you what happened. That can be very funny.[face_mischief]

20. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    So why didn't anybody kick my sorry shebs and tell me I owe you a mini-challenge? Not interested?
    Well, too bad, because her it is: fall

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I did a jump - it didn't end up being awkward, it just let the story flow.

Lanna, I've never tried that before. But I do really like the first-person perspective - it's challenging because you can't show anything but what the one character thinks.

22. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    Novemeber has come!
    For all those of you who particiapte in NaNo, how do you maange???8-}

Anyway, this months mini challenge is: Strange Customs

23. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Strange customs is friggin perfect! :D

I always write a lot so Nano and Diary aren't a problem. Updating the diary doesn't take long, maybe twenty or thirty minutes? I can fit that into a day, I believe. :p

24. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    Well, looks like NaNo really slowed us down here.
    So a few things:

1) Mini Challenge: Respite

2) Diary Challenge 2010: Yes, yes, I'll do it. No need to talk me into it any further. I'm looking at you Ce.:p

3) New topic: How does the view of your protagonist change in the diary? Does it at all?

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Mine doesn't really change at all 8-} The awesome part about humor - little necessary in the way of character development :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.