main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge ~ Dear Diary Challenge 2010 ~ And the winner is...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I updated mine yesterday. [face_dancing] It was about time, too. I would like to finish the diary this year, which basically means updating like every two days or so. Way too much to tell in just one year.

Next year...I rather doubt I'll be participating next year.
    Still sad that so many diaries have died, though.

2. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    They might not have completely died, though. I'm morally opposed (read: lazy) when it comes to deadlines and despite MsLanna's best efforts to humor me I fell out of the competition, but I'm still updating the story.

I can't be the only one. Maybe at some point we can get a third-category for diaries failed the challenge hard but barely have a pulse.

edit: Or maybe I should pay attention to the first post, where it clearly lists "Out of Competition" as a category. I'll be sure to send a PM next time I update :p

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    You could always do what MsLanna has done and just keep it going beyond the end of this year?

Yeah, I'm not sure I'll do it either. I love the challenge and all but I'm hoping to have a job and stuff.

4. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Well, yeah. The dairy I started two years ago is still going on. :oops:
    With some luck I can finish it in another few years.:p

Once you got the story going, I really see no need to stop after the competiton. It is not obligatory that the story be finished by the end of the year, either.

Anyway, this year I humoured nobody.[face_plain]
    Because running this is still no fun. *sigh*

Did anybody even notice there was no mini-challenge this month?

5. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I'll definately keep the diary going even beyond 2010. Can't just stop and not tell the rest of the story.

And honestly, I didn't notice that there wasn't a mini challenge. [face_blush] I usually never take notice of the mini challenges, I have to admit.

I'm guessing we'll be needing a new host for next year, huh? :p

6. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    $*@%, I don't notice when there IS a mini-challenge!

7. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I would love to give this challange a try, but I suspect that it's too late for this year.

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    There are four months left of this year, so you can still take part. The only thing is you won't be in the runnings to win. With so little time left before the next one you might as well wait.

Unrelatedly, can those of us who are still in promote our fics just once? It might boost our readership, and there aren't many of us left.

9. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Right now I am tempted to let you run wild to do as you please as I don't actully care. :oops:

10. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Awww. [:D]

I guess it still explains why I'm still in though. :p

11. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    o_O Lanna seems grumpy... maybe someone else should run this next year, should we as a collective decide to do it again. [face_batting]

12. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I remember last time somebody else ran this...

.. but I promise not to return this time.[face_batting]

13. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    New Mini Challenge for September -- Bad Weather.
    Because it's raining right now and I couldn't come up with anything better. :p

14. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    There are only a handfull of diaries left in the challenge! :eek:

Can't help but wonder why. :(

Is RL just being a jerk? Or are there other reasons?

What have your experiences been with the challenge so far? Was it easy? Is the format living up to your expectations? How about the constant updating? Is the challenge still fun?
    Would you do it again?

So let's discuss. :) Maybe we can actually get some life back into this thread. ;)

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great discussion topic. :)

I've enjoyed this challenge immensely. [face_love]

The constant updating hasn't bothered me -- I'm compulsive and work writing into my schedule -- so even if I can only write a few sentences one day a week ;) I remain sane [face_laugh]

I think it's a combo of several things that have eaten up the early rush of diary starters.

They think of this as a sprint -- not a steady and consistent marathon type challenge.

Plotting isn't done enough ahead by at least having enough stuff to fill up a whole year's worth for the character(s) [face_thinking]

Veteran writers know how to compensate somewhat for RL and squeeze updating in somewhere [face_laugh] -- but if they've gone entirely -- :( even from answering/reviewing in other writers' threads -- :_|

So I think it's a drop off of the veterans and the extreme newbie o_O

Would I do this again? Hmmmm. There are two ideas I'm tossing around but if no one runs the challenge -- [face_worried] I'll probably work up something chaptered that won't run for a year LOL but will be more of a series/short story type. [face_dancing]

16. Etain

Etain Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2008
    DRL and Darth Other Fandom got me. [face_blush]
    So on top of reorganising my whole life, my interest is not much with SW (or HP in this case) recently. I am scarce overall...

17. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have my diaries planned to the end of this year. NaNoWriMo is coming and you have to have your plots ready and words are coming easy. Add to that RL and interesting things can be added to the diary.
    And with the healers[face_thinking] They have more to tell. I will certainly do it next year.

18. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I was stalled on my diary until about a week ago, but someone helped me with a great idea and I decided to take the diary in that direction. So I've been writing like a fiend since then.

I love writing the diaries. They are a great way to work on a story without having to be so epic that it takes all your time. This is my second one and I'm having an excellent time working on it. I know that I will do another next year because I already have planned out what it's going to be about, but I still have to ponder more on what will be happening in the story.

All in all, I like writing these diaries. I've actually started to turn people onto my writing by showing them the diary first and then letting them get into more epic stories.

19. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    I've taken over the challenge! [face_devil] [face_devil]

I used my sithly death rays on MsLanna and convinced her to let me take over! Muhahahahahahahahaha. :p

Me being Ceillean.

I just realized I'm using the sock. :p

20. Etain

Etain Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2008
    You need to edit the first post, sithly dear. :p

21. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I changed the first post. I did! See? I did!! :p

22. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    The thread is in good hands then! [face_dancing]

Not that it wasn't before... [face_blush]

'Cause it was... [face_whistling]

It's just that I know how daunting it can... oh, forgrt it. You know what I mean. :p

23. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    Since we're moving towards Halloween, your mini challenge for this months has to do with things that go bump in the night. :p

Scary things, bloody things, things that make people scream -- anything that will make your characters' skin crawl.

[face_devil]

Have fun!

24. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I updated my diary on October 5, but the list doesn't reflect it. Thought I would bring it to your attention. Thanks.

25. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks for pointing that out.

Since we only have three or four people who regularly update, I only check the sock's PM's every two weeks or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.