main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Dear Diary Challenge 2016|December discussion and mini-challenge now up

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Nov 18, 2015.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  2. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
  3. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    The title is pretty good, but perhaps a & or a + would work better than a /, since / would imply some...unfortunate things in this case.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    The voting is open to everybody, correct? I was just wondering how our readers who might not frequent this thread because they are not writing a DDC fic would know about the voting? I know we are not allowed to pimp our own fics but could each DDC writer add a post to the end of their stories that is a generic reminder such as:

I removed the moderator fics as you pulled out of the voting portion. Could we post something like this because right now probably only DDC fic authors know anything about the voting.

Also, we can't vote for our own fic right? Just checking.

Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    That is a super duper idea! I'm gonna put that at the end of both my diaries. @};-

8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I guess I will also and if there is a problem with doing that I will take it down.

9. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    nope you can't vote for your own fic

and yes it is open to everyone

Ewok Poet likes this.
  10. Volund Starfire

Volund Starfire Jedi Master star 1

Sep 5, 2012
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    After reading a great viggie about Dr. Aphra, a DDC featuring an archaeologist who works with Vader and has a bounty hunter type edge, oh my! Fascinating [face_batting] One bunny I'd love if someone took up. :)

12. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    Ewok Poet and Nyota's Heart like this.
  13. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002

[face_thinking] you know I decided to do a Luke/Vader fic right, maybe it could come to a compromise....

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] As an occasional auxiliary character? [face_thinking] :cool:

Falcon likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Falcon Nyota's Heart As SatineNaberrie pointed out in her introducion to my fic gift, Aphra is a really, really tricky character to write. I plan to make some references to her in stories that are not a diary and the thought of writing in her person did cross my mind, but the problem is, we don't have much to work it. :(

1. Not sure if there is enough material for 24 entries.
    2. I prefer writing new stuff to explaining what happens in pictures.*
    3. We don't know her age, which makes it hard to think of her timeline before meeting Vader - which was sometime after the Battle of Yavin.

* This is not to say that it cannot be done or that trying something new like that would not be a good idea.

By the look of things, I'll likely stick to my old plan - finish Ewoks longfic and the other longfic by the summer, finish the pre-TFA speculation fic by my birthday or so, run the diary I have twice a month and the Fifty Titles challenge every two months or so. Us web developers are known time-wasters in general, so I'm rarely efficient at anything.

On the other hand, hey, I pulled off circa 180 K words in 2015...

...but money. I need money for the vacation and apartment renovations...

...but fic...

...but money...

...why not have both? *shrug*

P.S. Aphra's current story arc MIGHT end in two comics that are out tomorrow - and I hope that she does not die. I did not manage to find the issue before it, but it's under the two-week spoiler policy, so...

Most recently, she and Han Solo failed at killing each other and all of this was after Vader pardoned her for the second time.

16. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Are you dropping out?

Those would be good reasons for dropping out.

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I am not dropping out with the diary I already started, that one should get its first entry later today or tomorrow. I was just tempted to do a second one and, with those reasons, I was looking for everybody else's opinion.

My friends can confirm this, but I have these bouts of hyperproductivity and when I'm not in that phase...things happen. :p And I don't like to fail in anything.

18. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Ah okay. If you feel you don't have enough to complete this second diary, then I would highly recommend sticking to the one. I've seen quite a few where they posted so much by the third month they've run out of story and out of steam. I would rather see you make it to the end of the year then having to drop out because you ran out of story.

which reminds me

Just remember to pace yourselves. to make it to the end of the year

Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The first diary is all planned out. The second, the way I drafted it out, would likely do better on a half-schedule or something like that.

If I end up not doing that one, there are always other ways to run a story in a diary format, without it being a part of this competition. I guess. :)

Thank you. :)

EDIT:

Since it's the voting time, I thought I'd try to pitch this idea again:

A diary is more user-friendly and dummy-proof with an introduction, some sort of a masthead, prologue, whatever.

- Who is writing it?
    - When is this taking place?
    - Is it a continuation of another diary or a counterpart to a story? If so, could those be linked?

When a bulk-reader comes across a diary with no description in the voting time - especially now with search disabled - it can be very confusing to get to the core of it. So, this is a recommendation from an avid reader who is obsessed with knowing the context, backstory et cetera. And I'm eternally thankful when I don't have to figure it out myself, with so many cool stories to read and so many cool stories to write.

20. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Can you drop out before you ever began? I had an idea for a diary and would like to begin posting it, but it doesn't fit with what everyone else is doing. I'm really thinking it's easier not to waste my time because it's not epic or straight up Star Warsy. How fo you know when not to do it?

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

The one I'm about to post the first chapter of is in the same grey area as what you described. I say do it, do it. :)

Also, I look at it from this perspective: if we fail at some point, we can still run our diaries out of competition. Kahara started her other diary as a part of this competition in 2012 and she is still running it, because it's the format that matters.

EDIT: Just posted the first entry!

Kahara, Findswoman and gaarastar58 like this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    leiamoody - if you write it as part of this challenge or not, I'm gonna devour it! :cool: @};- [face_batting]

Kahara, leiamoody, Falcon and 2 others like this.
  23. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    If it's not SW that's fine then there is a non SW section you can post it. It's called story under fanfiction. We do have a few crossovers in the past couple of years. If you prefer to go that way.

http://boards.theforce.net/forums/non-star-wars-fan-fiction.10808/

This is the board for non sw fanfiction

leiamoody likes this.
  24. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Findswoman , Kahara and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    I have mine up and - hopefully - running at NSWFF:

Busted - Buster's diary (MythBusters)

Tarsier likes this.