main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT "Dear Mr. and Mrs. Solo" - humor (OC, H/L, young Kylo)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by divapilot, Jan 23, 2016.

1. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Title: Dear Mr. and Mrs. Solo
    Author: Divapilot
    Genre: Humor
    Summary: Through a series of communications, little Ben Solo’s teacher tries to get a handle on his emerging behavioral issues.

To: General Leia Organa Solo; Han Solo

Dear Mr and Mrs Solo:

Good morning! :) This is Ben’s teacher, Aline Stoa. I am writing to give you an update on Ben’s progress at school.

First of all, let me express how wonderful it is to have such an energetic and creative child in our class! He is very intelligent and he has the most unusual approach to learning. I am confident that he is a tactile learner, as he is always taking objects into his hands and examining them closely before sharing his ideas with the group. Ben is one of our most exuberant students.

I am a bit concerned, however, with his recent behaviour. As you know, he had a series of incidents over the last few weeks, mostly stemming from disagreements with his peers. We have thus decided to begin a behavioral intervention procedure with him to see if we can redirect his energies toward more positive social outcomes. With your permission, I would like to write up a behaviour contract using positive reinforcement.

I will be happy to speak with you at any time. You may contact me directly or through the school. Please also know that you may always speak with Dr. Honalt, our school administrator, should you have further questions or concerns or if you would like to schedule a parent-teacher conference to discuss Ben’s progress.

Sincerely,
    Aline Stoa

Hello, you have reached General Leia Organa. I am out of the office right now, running the secret resistance headquarters. Your message is important to me and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Have a nice day.

Hello This Chewbacca Wookey. As he is fighting off busy the band of pirates angry, Han Solo can not talk now. Please later try more and more. (Translated from Shyriirook to Basic using Holoogle Translate)

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Solo:

Good morning. This is Mrs. Stoa, your son’s teacher. I have been unable to contact you to discuss my concerns about Ben, so I have decided to proceed with a behavioural intervention contract. Ben’s inability to control his temper causes numerous interruptions to his own learning and the learning of others, and it is my hope that this contract will allow him to learn the necessary self-monitoring skills which will give him the ability to better regulate his emotions. I am attaching the plan below.

Student name: Ben Solo
    Referring staff member: Aline Stoa, classroom teacher.
    Brief description of area of concern: Ben appears to be struggling to maintain emotional control, specifically when required to share with others. He is easily frustrated.
    Classroom interventions: preferred seating near teacher (for monitoring of emotional triggers)
    Behavioural plan:
    Ben will use his words instead of physically acting out when faced with frustrations. He will take a “time out” to regroup and think before acting. Ben will use his indoor voice when in the classroom.
    Positive reinforcements:
    Ben will be reminded of his plan when he experiences frustrations. When he successfully employs the positive behavioral strategies, he will be allowed a reward from the following menu.
    :) Ben may play with the building blocks in the construction center. (Note: He may not wear the block bucket on his head like a helmet.)
    :) Ben may read a story from the story collection. (Note: his favorite stories are from the “Kylo, the Very Brave Bantha” series.)
    :) Ben may have ten minutes of quiet time with the class pet fooble. This includes putting food in the fooble’s feeder. (Note: He is not allowed to actually touch the fooble.)
    :) Ben may color in the art center.
    I will implement the rewards system effective immediately. Please contact me with any questions or concerns.

Hello, you have reached General Leia Organa. I am out of the office right now, running the secret resistance headquarters. Your message is important to me and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Have a nice day.

Hello This Chewbacca Wookey. Han Solo busy busy in rancor cave. Most sorrow but the Han Solo can not talk now. Please later try more and more. (Translated from Shyriirook to Basic using Holoogle Translate)

Private Message
    To: Wrin Stoa

Hi sweetheart – Can’t wait until holiday break! We are so busy at school – the kids are going to be doing the glow stick activity soon and I know how much they love it. Even my little guy who gives me the hard time is excited. He said he wants to make a glow stick just like his grandpa used to have. How sweet!

I know I talk about my kiddos too much. When I get home tonight, let’s get some dinner and go shopping.

Love ya! Ali

To: J. Ooesa, school psychologist
    Hey, Jorrash – Remember the student I told you about? I think we need to do some more intensive interventions. His behaviour isn’t really improving with the behaviour contract. I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind doing a cognitive screening and maybe a psych eval? I’d appreciate it!
    It was good to see you at the party last week. That goomana dip you made was amazing!
    Thx, Aline

To: Aline Stoa

Hi Aline – I did the screenings like you asked. It was challenging working with Ben S. I’ve attached the results but here are the highlights.

Intellectual screening – Ben’s a bright kid. However, the test is developed to be increasingly difficult, and the kids are supposed to meet a point where the problems get too hard for them. But in Ben’s case, when the questions got harder, he got more frustrated. Then, I got a piercing headache and I closed my eyes for a minute. When I checked the results, Ben had all the questions correct. Not sure how he did that. I may have to recalibrate the assessment.

Creative thinking: He seems pretty solid here. I gave him the two-color flimsiplat to color a design on and he didn’t want to use the white side like I expected him to. He flipped it over to the back to color. He said he likes the dark side better. That looks like pretty out-of-the box thinking to me.

Psych eval.: I ran a whole evaluation on the boy. I say he’s fine, he’s just really immature. He acts like a spoiled eight year old. I’m sure he’ll outgrow it.

Private Message

Hi Honey – Boy, what a day. That little boy I told you about threw a table today. HE THREW A TABLE! I thought the things were bolted down. But at least nobody got hurt. He is really getting to be a handful. Then he grabbed a bucket of building blocks, dumped them on the ground, and put the bucket on his head claiming it was a helmet. I’m getting really tired of that.

I’ve been thinking – we should go away when I go on holiday. I think it would be nice and relaxing. What about a beach vacation?

Love, Ali

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Solo:
    Things are going in an interesting direction with your son Ben. He still struggles to make friends, refusing to join us for circle time and for cooperative learning groups, claiming to prefer to work alone. I have tried to engage him in creative activities but he refuses to paint with any color other than black (occasionally silver or gray, although he loves bright red). On the bright side, he often talks about his family, and his grandfather in particular, with whom he apparently has a loving and very communicative relationship.

I have to inform you, however, that it is getting increasingly difficult for Ben to focus. I have tried the behaviour contract but Ben does not like having to make choices. He prefers to tell us what he wants and have us provide it for him.

I am recommending a one-on-one instructional assistant to help Ben make good decisions.

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Solo:
    I am increasingly concerned over Ben’s ability to be a productive learner in our classroom. He continues to display oppositional behavior, especially toward authority figures. We have had limited success with his instructional assistants. It seems we are unable to keep them employed for more than a few weeks at a time, and those who don’t quit seem to develop throat and neck problems and must leave for medical reasons. I believe that he would benefit from more individualized instruction and I am requesting a child study team present Ben’s case for potential referral to the specialized education services.

Private Message

OMG Wrin if I have to deal with that whiny kid one more day I swear I will drop a star destroyer on him. My education professors told us that there would be those challenging kids but honestly! So get this – we were making holiday glow sticks in science class. Everyone else had these pretty little glow sticks and this kid makes this monstrosity that sits there spitting fire like a krayt dragon. Like, follow the instructions!!!! And the worst thing is that I have to give the regional standard assessments next week. Guess who already said his grandfather told him that he doesn’t have to follow the rules. You know, there’s always that one kid every year who totally kriffs my data. There goes my teacher evaluation.

Anyway, what would you like for dinner? I’m feeling Ithorian take-out. Btw did you check on those flight tickets to Corellia? I can’t wait for the holiday break, a drink in my hand on the Golden Beaches. I have got to get away for a while.

Love, Ali

To: Aline Stoa @Happy Friends Elementary School
    From: Jax H Honalt, PhD, Lead Administrator @ Happy Friends Elementary School

Mrs. Stoa:
    I have received a communication from Mr. and Mrs. Solo regarding their disappointment in their son’s lack of progress in your classroom. Furthermore, your data from last month’s standardized testing reveals that your teaching methods have failed to result in adequate progress in instructing all of your students as one of your students failed to attain the state-mandated goal in cooperative learning. I regret to inform you that you will be placed on a probationary level and you will require further development as an educator.

To: Jax H Honalt, PhD, Lead Administrator @ Happy Friends Elementary School
    CC: Aline Stoa @Happy Friends Elementary School

Dr. Honalt:
    I’m trying to run a war here. I can’t come every time you have a problem with Ben. I don’t think you really understand him and I think I need to bring him where he will receive the kind of attention he needs. Effective immediately, we are withdrawing Ben from Happy Friends Elementary School. He will be working with his uncle, who is starting a new charter school for exceptional students.

Private Message

Wrin, I sure hope you got those vacation tickets. We’re going to the Golden Beaches. We are not coming back.

Love, Ali.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    divapilot - I loved this! Such a slice of life thing and true to TFA. Parents too busy :rolleyes: yeah buncha regrets behind that one I'll bet eventually! :p I love Mrs. Stoa and her attempts to solve a very problematic situation and change several incorrigible attitudes and behaviors. Sad she was blamed for the noncooperation of her "worst" student! :D but glad about the vacation.

Lady_Misty, AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I can just see little Ben Solo flipping tables [face_laugh] and his fascination with helmets :p

The "translated" messages from Chewbacca were great.

As funny as this was, it was also heartbreaking in a way to see how absent Leia and Han were. Great job displaying that duality.

4. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    [face_laugh]

While it makes me sad to think of Han and Leia as absentee parents, the escalating frustration of Aline at Ben's antics are hilarious - and I loved Chewie's messages!

It's interesting to think of Ben being advised by his grandfather - just his imaginary friend to give him an excuse, or something more sinister - perhaps Snoke pretending to be Vader?

5. Hopefulwriter

Hopefulwriter Jedi Master star 3

Jan 6, 2016
    Very creative and intersting and FUN! Good writing.

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, I loved this! Not just because of the whole premise, but also because I just love stories where the writer's real-life experience comes through—and I can see your experience as a teacher come through here in spades. The lingo, the procedures, the communication attempts—all of it is spot-on. And no doubt the reason it's spot on is because you've likely dealt with situations very like this in your own career. Teachers truly do rock. :cool:

For all the humorous aspects of this (the name of the school, the title of Ben's favorite series of books, the "Holoogle-translated" away messages from Chewbacca), there is, as the other commenters have noted, a darker side to all this. And not just in Ben's behavioral problems and Dark Side proclivities, nor even in the fact that he pretty much threw the standardized test results and got his teacher in trouble. I'm talking about "Mr. and Mrs. Solo" themselves and the fact that they're constantly unreachable and don't seem to give the fractional part of a tinker's cuss about how their own little boy is doing in school. When we finally got a message from Leia, my heart broke. "I'm trying to run a war here. I can't come every time you have a problem with Ben"—really? Just really, General? You haven't come even once! Interesting speculation here about the role their absenteeism may or may not have played in Ben's descent... because alas, this pattern too is probably something almost all schoolteachers (and principals) come across way more than they'd like. :(

Bravissima! =D=

7. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    OH.MY.GOAT. BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA.

Is there a connection between Happy Friends and Happy Tree Friends? Tootootoo doodoodoo la la la la la etc. Given that Ben Solo is involved, I can imagine there is. You know, cute things dying a horrible death...not that there isn't a totally serious story with cute things some of whom may die a horrible death somewhere on this board. :p

Hello This Chewbacca Wookey. As he is fighting off busy the band of pirates angry, Han Solo can not talk now. Please later try more and more. (Translated from Shyriirook to Basic using Holoogle Translate)

Hello This Chewbacca Wookey. Han Solo busy busy in rancor cave. Most sorrow but the Han Solo can not talk now. Please later try more and more. (Translated from Shyriirook to Basic using Holoogle Translate)

My favourite part of the whole thing, absolutely. :D TOO MUCH. I CAN'T EVEN. 8-}

Ben will use his words instead of physically acting out when faced with frustrations. He will take a “time out” to regroup and think before acting. Ben will use his indoor voice when in the classroom.

That obviously worked out, I see...

Ben may read a story from the story collection. (Note: his favorite stories are from the “Kylo, the Very Brave Bantha” series.)

Not that the name wasn't stupid to begin with, but now, with the explanation of why it's stupid, I totally get it. :p

Even my little guy who gives me the hard time is excited. He said he wants to make a glow stick just like his grandpa used to have. How sweet!

EEEEEEK.

He will be working with his uncle, who is starting a new charter school for exceptional students.

Ohwell...

Now for the dark part. I can totally see how a combination of extreme sugary positivity (which is a short-term thing and has nothing to do with real positivity, in the slightest) and occupational therapy that gets Ben closer to his obsessions, yet parents being unavailable and kind of neglecting their son, would get to where we see Kylo Ren.

Similarly, Aline herself might not have deserved what eventually came for her, but at the same time, she sort of did. One needs to balance family and work, and she was doing the exact opposite of what Leia and Han were doing - husband, husband, and more husband, while the approach to her own job was somewhat shallow. As Ackbar would say, IT'S A TRAP. And the psychologist is being a psychologist, the principal is being soooo painfully principally (!)...smash the system, I say. SMASH THE SYSTEM.

8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Ben is bad from the beginning. And with parents absent it is no wonder he turns Sith

Findswoman , AzureAngel2 and Falcon like this.
  9. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Hehe. I showed this to my cousins last night (they're both primary school teachers) and we were all roaring with laughter. Of course it resulted in a long list of similar stories in RL, although the kids they were talking about were slightly less creepy than little Ben, and there was no Holoogle Translate involved [face_laugh]

PS: This is a public service message from the indexer -- as this story takes place between RotJ and TFA, I believe it should be tagged Saga - OT.

Findswoman and AzureAngel2 like this.
  10. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Being an ex-secondary-school teacher and Kindergarten teacher again, I read your story half-laughing and half-frowning. I know fates like that. Your story about young Ben is brilliant and so authentic.

11. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    This was absolute gold. Well done. :)

12. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Some of this is just so funny but at the same time so sad.

Having never had an absent parent I can't imagine not being one of my parents' top priorities. If I acted out like that in school I would have gotten a swat on my rear, probably the longest timeout I ever had, been grounded for a month and told to apologize to everyone.

Not to say I was a little angel at school, I developed the habit of when adults stumbled over my name, unusual spelling, to sit there and wait for the third attempt before I announced my presence and corrected them on the pronunciation; not to mention if they wrote my name wrong on a paper I wouldn't take it and pass it on with the rest of the papers because it wasn't my name.

So I would like to apologize now to all my teachers and everyone else that had to deal with me growing up that got tripped up on the funky spelling of my first name (some also mispronounced my last name too) you all deserve an award for having to deal with me.