main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Death Note] Operation: 'Phantom Menace'

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by R_Zion, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Title: Operation: 'Phantom Menace'
    Author: R_Zion
    Genre: Comedy, Adventure
    Summary: "When I was his age, I did strange things too..." L, age 20, plans an elaborate operation to see his favorite childhood movie series at a cinema in Chicago without supervision.

--------------------------

My plan is perfect.

For the past week, Watari and I have been staying at the Drake Hotel in Chicago under the guise of Alexander and Allesandro Mars, an affluent Italian shipping magnate and his son, while I work on a drug abuse investigation for the Tribune Company, owners of the Chicago Cubs. Usually something as simple as this would be better left to the local police agencies, but several years back Tribune allowed me to use their nationwide television stations to help draw out the suspect in the U.S. Murder Madame Case, so I suppose it?s simply a matter of settling my debts. That and I wanted to be in the United States at just this time, so it all works out in the end.

In actuality, I solved the case three days ago, but I?ve tried to drag out the process until today, May 19th, to put my plan in to operation. At this very moment, I sent Watari off on an errand that should keep him busy until late this afternoon, gathering for me a few hard to find sweets. It?s nothing so bizarre that it should raise his suspicions, but they?re not so common place that he?ll be able to find them down at the corner market. Despite this, however, I have taken other precautions as well, using some of the equipment we brought with us to aid in the Cubs investigation. With motion sensors attached to the door to my private bedroom within our suite, if anyone is to approach, it will remotely activate my laptop and its voice recognition software. In the case of anyone aside from Watari approaching the door and trying to enter, it will remain silent, but if my elder caretaker does approach and wishes to speak with me, an appropriate response from a catalogue of several hundred recordings will be played after his statement or question is analyzed by the computer. I?ve anticipated everything Watari could conceivably say, so I see no way he could confound the software.

Making the last few checks to my equipment to make sure everything is fully operational, I make my way over to bed to finish my preparations. Laid out in advance, one of Watari?s spare leather trench coats sits waiting, a package of marzipan, a large rainbow lolly, and a small plastic bag of double chocolate chip cookies hidden within. It?s been a good many years since I?ve been to the cinema, but I do know they have a strict policy against bringing in outside food. Yes, it?s?bending the rules a bit, but you can?t buy these sorts of treats at their concession stands. I?m sure they?ll understand. Sitting down gently on the bed, I reach to the floor and retrieve the brand-new pair of tennis shoes Watari bought me for the trip. I really hate these things but no doubt the theater has one of those annoying ?no shoes, no service? policies as well, so if I want to make my show, I?m afraid I?ll have to put up with cramped toes. Quickly tying the shoes, though leaving them rather loose, I slip on the trench coat, grab my umbrella and make my way to the open window on the far side of the bedroom. To make it out of the room without disabling my equipment attached to the door, I?ll have to walk the ledge between my room and the sitting room, where I have already left the window unlocked.

Before climbing up onto the ledge, I stick my hand into the pocket and pull out the small slip of paper within and study it carefully. An advanced ticket for the noon showing of Star Wars: Episode One- The Phantom Menace on May 19, 1999. Assured that the key piece to my mission is in place, I climb onto the rain-soaked ledge and close the window behind me. The smooth stone path is slightly slippery, but I move with precise steps, keeping my weight evenly placed on my feet to proceed safely. After my tenth step, I finally arrive at the sitting room window, push it open gentl

2. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    ah so this is what L did when he was a kid. I can imagine all the trouble buying lots of candy and not being allowed in barefoot.

3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Outstanding! =D=

Can't wait for more, brilliant writing.

4. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    I thought I had commented on this, but I was IMing you at the time I read this.

Awesome L, you're playing him very well. It sounds like he's explaining it to us himself, which he always does, lol.

-B-

5. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Glad you enjoyed it everyone. This was actually my first experiment in touching L's mind and, I must admit, it was quite fun. Maybe if I find the time, I'll take a second expedition inside....perhaps even explore a case from L's point of view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.