main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Death Penalty - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Apr 27, 2015.

1. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Idk, I think we can manage preventing guys like Bundy from being let out, without having to have the precedent of life without parole being an option which can be exploited.

2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Seen from the judicial side of things, no, you can't. If life without parole isn't one of the options, you can't deny parole from someone who has met the criteria to get parole despite having been handed a life sentence.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Exactly, which is why life without parole still needs to exist for the most serious crimes (multiple murders, terrorist acts, hate crime murders). For people who if they got out would continue doing what they were doing. People who show no remorse and are dedicated to destroying other people's lives and are never going to change.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Uh. I'm pretty sure the "criteria" for parole involves risk assessment and public safety. People who show no remorse and are still dangerous don't actually meet the criteria for parole. The criteria for parole is actually highly subjective and impossible to meet if the parole board just doesn't want to grant it.

LOL, well, you still want to murder everyone, you're mentally unstable, and you show no remorse for your crimes...but you somehow also meet the criteria for parole, so we have no choice but to parole you. No, that's not how it works. It's not as simple as behaving nicely in prison and lining up a job and a home and, presto, parole. It's not just a list of objective tasks. Personal judgment on the part of the parole board is absolutely a huge part of the decision.

You absolutely can just continually deny someone parole for decades and decades. It happens all the time. Manson was denied parole a dozen times in his life.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There should be no "life without parole" sentence. If someone is deemed too much of a threat to society (and it should be a very high standard), their parole can be denied. And they should not be confined in hell regardless of their crimes.

6. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    They do - and if they are met, the prisoner has a legitimate chance of being released.

And criteria can quite conceiveably (and have effectively) been met by criminals who were, in fact, a lot more unrepentant than the authority who assessed their parole was led to understand. The same goes for parole boards getting wool pulled over their eyes: it happens.

So yes, in strict judicial terms, if life without parole is not an option, parole is inevitably one, and it can and will be used.

Note that this is kept deliberately vague because there are many countries in this world, many judicial systems, and many different ways to handle parole. It's not a one-country, one-system question and cannot be discussed along the specific lines of one country's systems.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I hope Trump's 11th hour killing spree will compel Biden to push for a permanent end to Federal capital punishment.

Darth Guy, tom, Darth Punk and 3 others like this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    A.) I don’t think a state should have the right to kill anyone
    B.) the fact that the justice system isn’t perfect and there are dozens if not over a hundred innocent people on death row is abhorrent

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Anyone know the reason behind Trump’s recent execution spree? What’s the payoff?

12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    it's an easy way to pander to the base. He has no moral qualms about it. It's dramatic. It makes the left angry.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The thing is, I know a LOT of Democrats who are pro-death penalty, which is just disgusting. I mean freaking California has a huge Democratic majority but couldn't pass a ban on the death penalty as recently as like 4 years ago when I lived there. And many of the Democrats I knew personally and worked with were pro-death penalty while I, not a Democrat, was virulently opposed to the death penalty starting in like 2005.

14. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

He's a ****

that's all it is

15. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    How can anyone still think Trump is pro-life is beyond me.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    From what I read of it, the execution spree was more a project by Bill Barr. Of course it's his administration so Trump is ultimately responsible, but I'm not sure how much the man himself was invested in it.

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It's the ultimate power trip to be avle to decide if another human being lives or dies, of course Trump has enjoyed the executions.

18. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I definitely remember getting pushback for being anti-death penalty from people that were otherwise politically left here. Years back.

As of a few years ago, 40% of Democrats supported it in a Pew poll.

solojones likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Conservatives cannot claim to be pro life if they are pro death penalty

Juliet316 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  20. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Very few can claim to be either pro-life or pro-choice, then. Though that's a tangential argument.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    lol, the ****ing rubes.

23. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Damn. Classic. Hey, if it’s a deterrent to heinous crimes then so be it.

As for the death penalty, I’m not surprised here that most are against it. I say if there is undeniable evidence and the crime was first degree murder then bye bye. Too bad. They should of thought about that before they planned out the murder of an innocent person. I’d also say that repeat rapists or violent sex offenders, especially against children ought to be sent packing. In open and shut cases there need be NO appeals and postponing it. One strike you’re out.

For all other cases or when the evidence was iffy....I’d prefer to see more evidence or proof first. Otherwise, nah, no death penalty.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    "I'm for small government except when it involves killing our own citizens"

Also damn emus

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    No government should be able to kill their own people

the violent crime rate isn’t higher in states with or without the death penalty. It literally does nothing