main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Debo's Attic

Discussion in 'Community' started by Debo, Jan 15, 2013.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    see threepio understandably got the **** away from that death squad commander.

jp-30 likes this.
  2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    That was actually the thing I remembered most about the movie. I pointed it out immediately and I think I posted about it here. :p

3. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    That's not a Jawa, that's a Sandtrooper.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I still have a lot of Legos left, and to this day I still build em'. I also have most of my Micro-Machines somewhere under my bed.

5. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I was too stupid for Legos. I couldn't even build a simple wall, let alone a poop shed.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I thought all you danish kids could do the lego.

Healer_Leona , Master_Jacen and Debo like this.
  7. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Remember Lego in the 70s, how basic it was? Car antennas functioned as lightsabres.

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, I even had have the original minifigs without arms, legs or faces.

[​IMG]

9. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Oh right, man. I had one or two of those. They look like Softenon victims.

jp-30 likes this.
  10. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    [​IMG]

That, friendly people of the JC (idiots excluded), is what is commonly referred to as a 'comic stash'. These comics hadn't seen a human face for more than two decades when I upturned the box. The instant I saw these covers again, I remembered them as if I had last seen them only yesterday (there you go, the first cliché). Especially the most anciest ones--1982, 1983. They look remarkably well, considering they've been taken to the beach, the swimming pool, to the coal cellar whenever I was locked up there by my parents for having "girly manners"--to everywhere really. I always took my stuff along with me like a hobo.

The quality of these photos won't knock you off your seat, but if that's what you want I can come to your house and punch you in the face. No problem. Now back to these old comics. Let's see what we have here.

[​IMG]

Nothing screams "ARE YOU KIDDING ME, EIGHTIES?" more than this Prince/Michael Jackson hybrid called "Ace". His superpowers were: lightning reflexes, riding on a motorcycle that changed its appearance every other panel, and a heightened sense of fashion. This was the time of street gangs, graffiti, flashing blades, ghettoblasters. And it's everywhere in these old Marvel comics. You can't cross a street without running into some young thug with a headband and a knife.

[​IMG]

Watch out! Black people! This street fetish is one of the forgotten themes of the 80s. The streets, back then, meant danger. You could see it in music videos, films, comics, cartoons... I developed severe Agoraphobia because of it. But I guess it reflected the times. This was when Times Square (NYC) was a sleazy place with cheap cinemas, crack dealers, prostitution, high crime; it wasn't as tourist-friendly as it is now. And it wasn't just NYC, all the big Western cities had problems (same with Amsterdam, where I live, and London, Paris, et cetera). Then in the 90s, almost all of them were cleaned up and "Disneyfied", but of course they weren't really cleaned up: as it so often goes, the problem was simply transported to another area. ANYWAY. If you're still paying attention, great. I love you (in a platonic way).

Look at this:

[​IMG]

This, it seems to me, is a typical shot out of a Marvel Bronze Age comic. A reflective image in the middle of all the fight scenes. Several faces strung together against a sort of nebulous, otherworldly background. In this case it's... Well, I recognize Nighthawk, Hulk, Dr. Strange, Starfox, and, top left, Valkyrie. The others I don't remember. It has been a while.

Speaking of Hulk, as we seem to be doing, this storage box also contains some late 80s ones:

[​IMG]

Judging by the style, they must have been drawn by Todd McFarlane. He was a hugely popular artist back then, but I was never a fan: every character seemed to be made out of wrinkled snot. They bled easily, they dripped, they melted--maybe not snot, but a kind of sticky, wet clay. I preferred the clean, precise lines of Sal Buscema, which is closer to my own style of drawing (for very early samples, see above). But I was alone.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    This thread is amazing!

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    how did i miss this "ace" character. michael jackson with super powers was exactly what i wanted to be when i was 9.

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    And a changeling motorcycle for a steed, no less.

jp-30 likes this.
  14. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I <3 this thread. And Debo!

Debo likes this.
  15. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Probably because he was only in 2 issues.
    http://www.comicvine.com/ace-spencer/4005-44830/

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Attic time, Debo?

Ender Sai likes this.
  17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  18. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001