main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Decipher lost Star Wars licence!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Zoombini, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    Well I for one am finishing my Decipher collection and stopping. Think this will raise or lower the value of cards? I won't buy from any other company just for the simple fact that Decipher was doing well with their product lines and LFL pulls the plug probably in part to the whole WotC connection. It's BS and I won't be collecting any more cards ouside the Decipher ones and will not be buying figures/toys etc. because of LFL's decisions. Putting all their eggs in one basket will just make them easier to be smashed all at once.

2. dpip

dpip Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2001
    Personally, I am very upset that Decipher has lost the license, and think that LFL has made a bad decision here.

I personally have several thousand dollars tied up in the SW CCG -- Not becuase I hope to sell it later, etc. I purchase the game cards because I honestly thing they are a great product, and I can see that this has been a labor of love.

As it has been noted, the new cards will not be compatible. As such, I will not be supporting the new cards. I will purchase 1 pack to see the cards, assuming somelse does not already have an open pack.

This has happened before to Decipher, with the Star Trek cards, and when the Skybox fell on its face, Decipher was there to continue to to support their fans.

I have contacted Decipher, and LucasFilm Licensing, and would encourage everyone to do so. Send them your comments (please do not use profanity or be rude, this does not help anyone) and let them know how you feel about this.

I can't speak for everyone, but I am sure that the $3000 per year I spent on Star Wars CCG will NOT make it to Wizards or Hasbro....

Decipher created the SW CCG -- The license was around since 1977, and Wizards did not want it until it became a huge success. Now we sit back and wait until hasbro drives this product into the ground and hopefully Decipher will be able to pick it back up.

I personally encourage everyone to contact LucasFilm and Decipher.

As I noted above, I will not support the new product. I hope others will not as well.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    -i'll be posting my full comments on this shortly, my keyboard is damaged and i don't plan to click such a response letter-by-letter w/my mouse as i'm doing now, but i have a quick question i wanted to get off my mindright now-

red- is there any chance we could get some sort of ''we support decipher'' icon to choose for the jc boards ;;question mark;;

4. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    So you can only play the game if they're making NEW stuff for you to buy?

5. HisstKa

HisstKa Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2001
    While Decipher has made some errors in the cards they released (some to strong, some not worth the cardboard they were printed on). I think LFL is to blame here. This nepotism within LFL is insane. First we have Hasbro who makes so many action figs and so many hard to find action figs that I eventually gave up on collecting them. Then they cancel a great looking PC game and release som real flops too. The promotion for EP1 was so overwhelming that more people lost money than made money on it. I am so glad LotRs is out because it makes it easier to avoid the pain this old Star Wars fan feels about the "show me the money" mentality that has overtaken LFL

6. AlphaBlue

AlphaBlue Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2001
    I think that WotC will produce a really ****** game and then ,maybe in two years or so, Lucas'll see, "Ooops, maybe I was wrongo" and give it back to Decipher.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    (ok, now that my keyboard is working again..)

I must say I am terribly dissapointed in LFL's decision. I was never into any CCG's before SW:CCG (hell, i hadn't even heard of them at the time), and so I was introduced to this type of game because of my love of Star Wars. But I kept playing and collecting because of the game mechanics Decipher created. It's a big slap in the face to every player whose invested hundreds to thousands of dollars into this game to give the liscense away to WOTC. WOTC will not be able to make a better game. No possible way. I will not be buying into the WOTC game, because I have too much invested in the true SW:CCG and I'm not going to support this bastard-child version.
    Decipher's actions of handing the game over to the players to run is quite commendable, I look forward to any freely-released cards online and of playing this game in dark 2 years to follow as I look forward to the fall of WOTC's SW:CCG and the return to Decipher's game when Episode 3 comes around.

If any of the relevant parties from Decipher read this- I'd like to say thank you, Decipher, for the amazing game and work you've put into it for nearly 6 years. Bravo.

As I posted earlier, I think there should be a "support Decipher" icon for the JC board available, or perhaps a t-shirt supporting decipher could be purchased for those of us attending SW Celebration 2 in may.

Decipher- Makers of the One, True SW:CCG
    No Wizards, No Warriors, No Magic Can Change That.

8. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    I will continue to play the game as it stands right now I think with some of my friends.
    At least Decipher got Lord of the Rings and not WotC :)

EDIT: Josh where the heck are you?!

9. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I'd say what I really think about this, but given my current level of rage, I'd likely say something that would get me banned. WOTC is the ****iest producer of card games this globe has ever seen. The first set of their new SW game will be erata-ed to death and tournament banned before the first year of printing is finished with. As far as I am concerned, LFL decision will reflect poorly on other products, as I am now boycotting all Hasbro and WOTC products because of this, and I am not alone.

10. Jedikynes

Jedikynes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2001
    Guys and gals,

As I know Red 84 for a few years our minds are the same on a few points.

This Game is not dead. not by a long shot. Sure there will be no more set for SWCCG. But we will see some changes to the way we play. there is gonna be a Player's Committiee that every once in a while change the text on some cards that will be posted on Decipher's website and I'm assuming in the FAQ as well.

I have played this game for a good many years along with a lot of you. Right now is the best time to be a player sure you don't get any new cards oh well. means we get to get better with what we have and when they start changing text on some cards maybe we'll actually see a USEABLE DBO deck. or any other deck that has been unusable.

We may have hit the bottom folks but the only way we can go is up.

11. lancer4life

lancer4life Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2001
    WHat a shame.

12. lancer4life

lancer4life Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2001
    With the news of Decipher.com losing its liscence from Lucasfilms for Star Wars its a sad time for the players. Lucasfilms probably does not realize who they are hurting so I have decided to start this Petition. Please fill this out and have the players who come to your tournaments fill this out, also send this to anybody you know who plays Star Wars. The more who fill this out the better. Please Have anyone who fills this out to send it to me at lancer4life@aol.com

-----------
    Name:
    How Long Have you played and or collected:
    Any Comments you want to say to Lucasfilms(no profanity):
    E-Mail address:

13. Causchy

Causchy Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2001
    My letter to Lucasfilm:To those whom it may concern,

I must say that I am quite disappointed in this decidedly unwise decision by Lucasfilm. Decipher has spent years creating a wonderful Star Wars: CCG (plus Young Jedi and Jedi Knights games), and putting up with players and collectors who were constantly saying this that or the other about how they could improve things. And you know what, they stayed with us every step of the way, even when some had lost faith in them. Your company is being completely irresponsible in turning your back on the collectors and players of the aforementioned games, who have together spent a QUARTER BILLION dollars on YOUR franchise.

The fact that the license has gone to Wizards of the Coast is an equally unwise strategy. Sure, they may have gotten money with Pokemon, but if you would stop and look, many of the people once striving to get those cards are now fighting a losing battle to trade them for other games; in many cases that other game is Star Wars: CCG! I may give this so-called Star Wars CCG of WotC a try, as I did with Young Jedi and Jedi Knights, but I also fear that, just like those two, it will never be able to hold a candle to the masterpiece created by Decipher. Many of the gamers who have spoken thus far will not be as kind as I, as a matter of fact, hardly any will.

I have always loved Star Wars and everything about it, but this news has caused me to lose some faith in Lucasfilm. I'll still see the new mvoies, buy them, maybe get toys to collect and some other products, but NEVER, EVER will I forget this betrayal of your fans and consumers. All the same, I wish you the best. God bless.

-Graham Wells
    sgrahamwells@home.com

I hope to see a Decipher set in 2003 called "I Told You They'd Do It!" ;)

14. Thrawn70

Thrawn70 Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2001
    Follow The2ndQuest's lead. Protest Lucas' desicion by saying so in your forum signature. C'mon!

15. Subjugator

Subjugator Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2001
    I still can't believe that they would do this. How long will it take before the "players' committee" is shut down by LFL as well?

16. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Damn, you go away for a week and a moon drops on your best friend (Sorry, bad joke). I'm really upset about this. I've been buying this game since Dagobah, and now, when the game is just getting good, they hit us with this BS! WotC has already taken my money for SW:RPG stuff and SWGamer, now they want my precious SW:CCG money?!? I am NOT starting another game!!! No matter how good this SW:TCG is, I'm not starting from scratch. I'll keep buying Decipher's cards til I can't find em anymore and then play with what I got. Kinda sucks, though. I never got to attend a Tourney. I forsee this to be the start to the Drak Times of the CCG Forum.

17. DuffMan

DuffMan Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2002
    Yeah I suppose thats what most of us will do MoronDude, complete our card colection and play with what we got. Dont worry about not attending any tournys because I know in my area they will be going on for some time to come.

18. LJ

LJ Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 1999
    All that money and time ive spent. :(

19. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    no offence people, if you really like the game, why is all the money you spent down the toilet?

20. Subjugator

Dec 29, 2001
    Well, most of us expected their to be additional expansions for at least another 4 years. The game is not null and void now, it is incomplete. People are upset because they have invested money into a game that may never see a proper conclusion.

21. AT-AT_Commander

Jun 23, 2001
    But this has been rumored for a long time, I even had the feeling that every expansuion was going to be the last. Especally after they put out the horrible jedi knights thing.

22. Subjugator

Dec 29, 2001
    Yes, it has been rumored for awhile. The fact is, WOTC probably expects most of the players of Decipher's SWCCG to continue playing, but from scratch with the new game. I believe they are very mistaken about how much this licensing move will affect them.

It wouldnt bother me too much if I had to wait a while for another licensed Decipher expansion. I just hope they are able to complete what they had started someday.

23. AT-AT_Commander

Jun 23, 2001
    Yes but there are more cards out there now than most people can count. I think decipher messed up when they started realising a different expansion almost evry month. Three different games entirely. I mean right now the possiblilties of the game is endless. Maybe WOTC will do it right and keep down to one game. instead of three.

24. Subjugator

Dec 29, 2001
    Your right about Decipher having 3 games. That was a bad idea.

25. AT-AT_Commander

Jun 23, 2001
    Decipher had there chance and blew it. it is that plain and simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.