main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DEFINE and/or DESCRIBE . . . "FanFilm"

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JediTAC, Jun 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Okay, here is your chance to share your insight and philosopy with the Forum . . . . .

Define and/or Describe what you feel a "FanFilm" is.
    (Or, if you want to be even more specific, what is a Star Wars FanFilm ??)

Be as thorough (or short) and as philosophical (or concise) as you like.

2. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    The most immersive way for a fan to become involved in the Star Wars universe. It's a great experinece.

Peace

~DK~

3. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    "An attempt by a Fan to recreate something while adding his own twists and turns."

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    You've been here 2 years and you don't know what a FanFilm is? :p

A Star Wars FanFilm is a film created by a fan as an homage to Star Wars and its creator. It is an expression of how impact much the saga has had on the FanFilm's maker

5. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    (Halibut-3 TAC/Veers-0)

:D

~DK~

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    (annoyed): JediTAC! Why are you posting this question?! Did you read the FAQ first?

;)

:D

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    (annoyed): JediTAC! Why are you posting this question?! Did you read the FAQ first?

You're kidding ..... right? [face_plain]

Great answers so far (except for Adam).
    Keep 'em coming. :D

8. Bob_da_Frog

Bob_da_Frog Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2002
    I said this elsewhere, but it still applies

I could go on for a while about the true spirit of fanfilms not being lavish budgits, not being the best acting or not being this and not being that. But what it all boils down to is that the true spirit of fanfilms is what the fans make it out to be.

If one person thinks its about wide-scale recognition, doing your best and making a movie everybody will love, thats their fanfilm.

If another thinks its all about saving up $200 dollars, calling up your friends and deciding that in the end it was worth it, thats their fanfilm.

So, don't go complaining beacause you have one vision, and she has another, thats just the way its going to be.

I, being mostly in the second category believe that a set of qualifications for low-budget features would be nice. I wouldn't beg for it, but I woundn't go out and shoot people if did happen if you get what I mean.

oh, and if i misspelled things... uh....
    poop on you for noticing it!
  9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm on a roll tonight!

10. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    For me it´s all about having a good time making the fan film, improve one´s skills in regards to special effects AND to have a good reason to run around looking somewhat strange and even have an excuse for it ;)

Oh and what is cooler than seeing yourself swinging around a lightsaber for the first time? Isn´t that what probably every star wars is wishing from the first time he ever saw a star wars film? Well, it definitely was mine. You should have seen the face of my friend when I showed him a finished scene where he was holding a lightsaber...

11. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I guess I should've put a ;) or a :D in my above post. Ooooops. (EDIT: Put in both.)

Anyway, a fan film is a way of pretending to be part of a beloved movie/series/etc.

Rick McCallum loves you!

12. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    I think a fanfilm is for one to show off flashy effects and to make oneself feel like they have achieved something great and can belong to a community of other talented filmmakers.

And a fanfilm must have "OF THE" in the title somewhere.

13. swmaster

swmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    Iv been here 3 years and still don't know what a fanfilm is!

LOL

1. A fan film begins with OF THE in the title and has a crawl that allways seems longer than the film.

2. A Jedi (with master as a title) fights Dark Jedi (with darth as a title) and a lightsaber battle ensues.

3. Both Jedi must spin their lightsabers uncontrollably.

4. Should be slow enough so you can actualy see the actor trying to remember where to block.

5. Needs no real story to hold it together, just cool effects.

Bonus: Can have bloopers at the end that are twice as long as the film itself.

:)

SWmaster

14. Sauja-Dupen

Sauja-Dupen Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 1999
    fan

n 1: a device for creating a current of air by movement of a surface or surfaces 2: an enthusiastic devotee of sports [syn: sports fan] 3: an ardent follower [syn: buff, devotee, lover, afficionado] v 1: strike out a batter, in baseball [syn: strike out] 2: make fiercer; as of emotions; "fan hatred" 3: agitate the air 4: separate from chaff; of grain [syn: winnow]

film
    n 1: a form of entertainment that enacts a story by a sequence of images giving the illusion of continuous movement; "they went to a movie every Saturday night"; "the film was shot on location" [syn: movie, picture, moving picture, motion picture, picture show, flick] 2: a medium (art or business) that disseminates moving pictures: "theater pieces transferred to celluloid"; "this story would be good cinema"; "film coverange of sporting events" [syn: cinema, celluloid] 3: a base of celluloid covered with a photographic emulsion; used to make negatives or transparencies [syn: photographic film] 4: a thin coating or layer; "the table was covered with a film of dust" 5: a thin sheet of (usually plastic and usually transparent) material used to wrap or cover things [syn: plastic film] v 1: make a film or photograph of something; "take a scene"; "shoot a movie" [syn: shoot, take] 2: record in film; "The coronation was filmed"

Therefore,

Fan Film
    n. A visual form of entertainment that is created by an ardent follower of a genre, specific franchise or movie; that is derived, without permission, from the works of producers of said genre, franchise or movie; whose goal is to provide a sense of contribution to said genre, franchise or movie, recreate the thrill of discovering said genre, franchise or movie and to share with and impress other ardent followers of said genre, franchise or movie.

Sauja

I know! I know! I used the word "ardent" too often, sorry!

15. buzz174

buzz174 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2000
    "Imitation is the highest form or flattery"

16. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    FanFilms are to show your creativity showing tribute to Lucas while giving your own twist on the films. For some people like my self and I think Daft it serves as training since they requrie every effect out there(unless you do some crappy little thing with no lightsabers).

Actually thats the way it was. Now it seems it has turned into a Noob festivble of people making "fanfilms" that they made in 5 minutes with no story

17. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    A Fan Film is made by a bunch of people who want to make a film, but stand around all day on a set trying to figure out where that pesky record button is... :p

18. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    A film made by fans.

19. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    A film made by fans

Wow . . . the level of intellectual insight and depth is staggering. :p

20. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Awww c'mon .... are you telling me that the above handful of people are the only one's with a definition of
    what a "Star Wars FanFilm" is to them?

What about some of our zealous Newbies? [face_mischief]

21. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    I think the reason why there's been so little response is because we're "been there, done that." This question has come up many times before, including by me when I was doing research for an article I wrote for VideoMaker magazine (which is coming out next month, BTW).

22. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Oh, well .. in that case ......
    Would you be so kind as to provide the link to the "been there, done that" thread. [face_mischief]

23. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Fanfilms are, for me, films made by amateurs. that's strange, I watched Broken Allegiance and Essence of the Force thinking they were fanfilms, but I don't get the real "fanfilm" feeling if they are made by professionals. I feel there is some cheating, in a way... Which doesn't mean I don't like them, I really enjoyed them !

Oh, and they absolutely must be named "...of the..." 8-}

24. StarFett

StarFett Jedi Master star 2

May 28, 2002
    Fanfilm-
    The product of fans for entertainment on telvesion, computer or holo, screens.
    A way to keep up that Star Wars rush while waiting for the next Eps to come out.
    Some thing to do for that film school final.
    A way to attract Lucas' attention in the hope he will hire you.
    One more thing to spend your money on if its for sale.
    Yet another topic to have a message board on. ;)
    The item that lets us all have a chance at the film industry regardless of our abilities.
    And finaly...
    Becuase we can!

-StarFett
    "Newbie, oldbie, it's all the same to me..."

25. Lyrael

Lyrael Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    The easiest way to become what you want in the star wars universe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.