main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Defining Sequence of the Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Master Salty, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    There are alot of "moments" that define what makes SW such a great saga (both story and as an audience). But I think the throne room scene really drives home the message of the OT...PT...and when both are looked as ONE larger story.

Luke is confronting both his father and Palpatine, and this could be considered where "the prophecy" brings the Force into balance, depending on the outcome. At first, Luke falls for the trick, and let's his anger cause him to attempt to kill the Palpatine...and in doing so battle Vader. When he regains his composure and chooses "I will not fight you"...Vader again tricks him to lose control by mention of "if you will not join the dark side, perhaps SHE will". This sets Luke into a blind rage, until he cuts off Vaders hand (in very similar fashion to what happened on Bespin). He then realizes that he's about to "take your first steps" into a much darker world then when he began his training...and refuses to go along any further.

Palpatine realizing he's not going to turn Luke, like he did with Anakin...decides to detroy this threat to him. Only the sight of his own son, sparks something in Anakin (Shmi, Padme, who knows) that caused him to re-evaluate his own path in life. This is the turning point that (I think) is meant to bring the Force back into balance (as stated in "the prophecy")

2. Matt-Firespace

Matt-Firespace Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2003
    No doubt the fall of Luke in cloud city.

Why?

ANH sets the charaters in place.

Then: Luke is the only hope. (Before Liea turns out to be the sister).

Then: Vader's proposal. Join me and we can have a blast. Oh, but we have to get rid of the old man. Don't worry he kinda knows already. He he!

Then: Luke decides not to. He falls. I say the special edition proved Luke thought he was gonna die (the sceaming). Wuss, take it like a man, man.

Then: He lives!

'Father!?' ,says Luke.

'Son!' , says Daddy Vader.

Oh yea.

3. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    are you guys sure its not the droid factory sequence? that scene was ill!

4. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Luke's defining moment is when he says "Never" and tosses his lightsaber aside in the throne room battle. I think in Ep. 3, we'll see Anakin confronted with a similar choice to make, and he will go down a different path. That's where the previously parallel paths will go in different directions for the two characters.

5. DarthTenebrous

DarthTenebrous Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2003
    The defining sequence is R2-D2's decision...yes decision, to take the escape pod to Tatooine in ANH. That is the moment that everything is tied together from the prequels to the original trilogy. R2-D2 is the facilitator of this entire saga. His actions, almost more than any other character define what happens. From saving the Nubian ship escaping from Naboo, too carrying the plans for the Death Star, too the numerous times he has picked locks and interrelated with other computer systems so the story could progress and our heroes could be saved.

6. First_Stage_Lensman

First_Stage_Lensman Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2003
    I was watching ROTJ the other day and as Luke watched his father's body burn on a Jedi pyre I could virtually hear these words in the background:

ANAKIN
    What will become of me now?

OBI WAN
    The council have have granted me permission to train you. You will be a Jedi, Anakin, I promise...

So that's it for me!

7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    For me, it's when Luke discards his lightsaber and proclaims himself a Jedi. He breaks the cycle, proves himself as better than his father, and in so doing defeats the Darkside and Palpatine's plans. At the same time it sets the stage for Anakin's redemption. It is also the only time a Jedi was ever "knighted" by a Sith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.