main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Deleting Socks?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by _Padme_, Apr 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Padme_

_Padme_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2002
    I'd like to know if Mods can delete users' socks. Well, I ask this because I've got a couple of socks whick I'd like to be deleted. Could a Mod do that? Or is it against the rules? ?[face_plain]

If so, will the sock's posts and profile dissapear? Will it vanish from the other users' watched users list?

Thank you :)

2. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    This is a topic that comes up often. I'm not sure if it is impossible, or if it's just not done, but either way usernames are not deleted.

3. That_Flashing

That_Flashing Jedi Master star 5

Aug 22, 2000
    I'm not sure if they have the power to delete the sock itself.. But they do have the power to delete all of your messages. PizzaThaHut's messages were all deleted, so I've seen that happen before... But never an actual name being deleted.

4. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Admins can delete user names, but they generally don't. If you don't want to use those names any longer, don't. It's that simple. If you feel that you won't be able to resist using these socks, maybe a mod can ban them for you. Just PM one and ask.

Hope that this was helpful.

Erik

5. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    There's a sock auction thread in the JCC if you can't trust yourself. :p

I no longer have the need for a sockpuppet. I mean, if I feel too embarrassed to say something with this name, I won't say it.

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Jedi Greg Maddux-

No need for a sockpuppet?

Of course you don't, not in a place such as this. That is why socks are equipped with secondary functions such as... ah, forget it.

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
  8. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "I mean, if I feel too embarrassed to say something with this name, I won't say it."

Which begs the question, how embarrassing is it that you can't mention it on a message board?

But that's neither here nor there.

Amazing.

9. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    There is very little that I don't feel comfortable sharing here.

The rest could potentially get me banned. ;)

10. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    I create socks for silliness, nor for identity protection. Do a lot of people create socks to say stuff they'd be embarassed to say?

11. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Keep your hands out of my sock drawer.

:p

12. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    I'll ban 'em for you if you want. //shrug

...and mass confusion.

13. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    Most people do create socks for silliness, yes, but many of the veteran users would create a sock to protect their identity when they want to discuss something that could get them into trouble or some other personal reason.

I don't know why people would want to create socks just for silliness.... it's mind-boggling! :eek:

14. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    strange. I've only made one sock ('twas my first) to protect my real identity. All the others were for plain silliness. :)

...and mass confusion.

15. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    Actually, the sock I use most of all is basicaly a Gauntlet/becuase-I-feel-like-it sock, and has my name listed to it just like this one. However, I'm with JGM on this. If I'd be ashamed to say it as Ben Kenobi, I'm not going to say it.

EDIT: Is it still a sock if it was created before this name?

16. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Is it still a sock if it was created before this name?

It's considered a sock if you don't use it as your primary username.

Erik

17. avsrock78

avsrock78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2000
    I apologize if this is redundant, but is there anyway to change your screen name without having to create a new sock?

18. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    Gandolf the Grey posted a request to have his name changed so Gandalf would be spelt properly, but it's not possible. :(

19. _Padme_

_Padme_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2002
    Yes, avsrock78, your screename can't be changed. That's why I created one of my socks, becase I didn't like my other screename (and I created the other ones for... err, It's none of your business! :p ;)). So if you want, you can create a new account and ask a mod to ban/delete the old username. My socks are currently banned, but I haven't asked a mod to delete them, since when they were banned, my current user name was banned as well, and I wouldn't like to happen the same and have my actual account deleted :(.

20. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    the reason your regular name was banned with the rest is b/c I made it an IP ban by accident. that's easy to fix: unban, and then reban as not an IP ban. Deleting doesn't come into the equation.

...and the world.

21. Malazaf

Malazaf Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Im wondering if you made a long term IP ban on someone with a proxy, ethernet thing, cable modem setup, that resets its IP every 2 days. Would it stay?

22. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I haven't ever seriously asked for my name to be changed, simply because it's bad precedent. I don?t imagine that the Administrators (as opposed to lowly Moderators like myself) would be too happy to receive a couple of dozen requests each week by users wanting their names changed. ?Please take the _ out of my name,? ?Please delete the name of this person who hasn?t posted in three years so I can have that username,? etc.

If I ever become an Administrator myself, I might quietly change my name on my own initiative [face_devil], but barring that?

23. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    I wouldn't mind getting requests to change usernames but unfortunately, Administrators can't change people's usernames, either. :(

24. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Ah well. A little piece of my heart called "hope" just died. I'll get over it.

25. Malazaf

Malazaf Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    *psst* Gandolf, there is another way.. But it'll cost ya...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.