main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Desert Delusions: Obi's reflections in the desert. //2010 Diary Challenge// Update 5/4

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by hyperspace_police, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Title: Desert Delusions
    Author: hyperspace_police
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Beru, Owen, Jabba and other people on Tatooine
    Summary: Diary Challenge Entry for 2010, this is a look at Obi-Wan's desert experience and some of his encounters and thoughts while he waits for Luke to grow up and fulfill his destiny.

Desert Delusions

Sand, I've never really liked sand. But, I suppose that I should get used to it since this entire place is nothing but sand. I'm fairly comfortable here in this old hut I found. I hope to have the walls and roof patched before the first sandstorm of the season. Otherwise, sand and I are going to become really good friends.

Friends, I am not sure I have too many of those left. I know that Owen barely tolerates me and my visits and he has expressed that as soon as Luke is big enough to realize I am there that I will be no longer welcome.

Beru, on the other hand, seems more understanding. She knows that Luke is important to the galaxy and believes that he will fulfill the prophecy someday? He is the one who will bring balance to the Force.

Qui-Gon thought it was Anakin, but he was wrong. Sometimes when I lay awake at night communing with his spirit, learning how to walk the currents of the Force? I want to ask him but every time I bring up Anakin he gets all quiet and disappears for a while so I just stopped.

I hope to have a good trip into Mos Eisley tomorrow. I need supplies to make this place habitable? and I need parts for my communicator. Yoda and I are keeping in very limited touch using old technology and storms to cover our communications. I hope he's doing well on Dagobah. I'd rather be in the desert than in the swamp. Less annoying biting insects?

2. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    lol I can't decide which is worse: hot muggy swamp that is trying to eat me or a desert, full of killing type, dry desert. Rain or sand....

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I think I would keep asking Qui-Gon about Anakin it would be interesting to hear what he has to say.

I wondered why Yoda didn't stay with Obi-Wan?

Nice beginning .=D=

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great start. =D=

Good look into Obi's thoughts. :D

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I like it, too - not terribly angsty (at least not yet) - but down to business get on with life.

We all should probably write him more like that. [face_thinking]

6. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Thanks for reading:

Sometimes even Jedi have a bad day

Today I did not behave like a Jedi. I had a bit of a bad day. It all started when I went into Mos Eisley for supplies. I know I have to be careful, but I just didn't care today. I found myself in a cantina. I decided that I could have a drink. I sat down in a corner and ordered a Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster, a favorite of Anakin... Anakin, just thinking about what I did breaks my heart. Not that I have much heart left now.

Qui-Gon is appearing to me more and more, but every time I bring up Anakin, he fades away and says next time we'll discuss that... Well, next time never comes. I think I'm angry... It's been so many years of controlling my emotions. So many years denying any craving for companionship, for attachment... Well... What did all the discipline get the Jedi? Dead... thats't what it got up. Killed by our own because we were so blinded by "The Chose One" to see what was happening to us. I think I'm rambling a bit but, I'm still quite intoxicated so I'm probably not going to be able to make sense of this in the morning.

As I was sitting in the corner of the Cantina drowning my sorrows in liquor, and not that synthetic stuff either, the real stuff... a gentleman sat down at my table. I told him I wasn't in the mood for company but he started talking to me anyway. He was a smuggler and was down on his luck and since he figured I looked like I was down on my luck that we would have something to talk about. The Jedi in me took over and I started to listen to his troubles.

We ordered drink after drink and he told me how he never wanted to be a smuggler, but with the new Empire taking over there just wan't work for a pilot that didn't want to join the new military. And he had no love for Palpatine's power moves. I immediately started to like him. He then went into an hour long discussion on how he figured those Jedi were set up and he didn't believe a bit of Palpatine's story about them trying to kill him. How sad it was that the Jedi were wiped out and how he worried about the galaxy he would have to raise his son in.

I felt his sorrow... and I was so glad to find that there were people out there who missed the Jedi. He told me about how it was still his young son's favorite game to play... How his son would grab a stick and call it his lightsaber and fight evil. I wanted to tell him that when it all went down... our lightsabers didn't help us one bit.

I think we drank and talked for hours... By the time I left the Cantina I was so intoxicated I could hardly stand and couldn't walk straight. I saw Beru coming out of a shop across the street and was suddenly ashamed, I did NOT want her to see me this way. I tried to hurry around the side of the building and managed to get onto my Eopie... But then I guess it had something to do with being on it backwards... I looked across the street.... she waved... I fell off... and smacked my head on the post that was there to tie animals to....

That was the last thing I remembered before waking up at the Lars homestead with Beru holding a cool rag on my head. She told me how she'd gotten some of the men to help load me into the family speeder and then had the town doctor come by and stitch up my head... She was going to make me stay the night no matter what Owen said when he got in but I insisted on leaving. I will not cause friction within this great family who was so willing to take on the burden of Luke.

Now, I'm back at my hutt, with a splitting headache. Waiting on Qui-Gon to come and tell me how I have to be more careful... But, I can't help thinking about the man I spent the afternoon drinking and talking with... I wonder what kind of galaxy his child will grow up in. Someday, maybe I'll run into the man again... What was his name again... Oh yes, Calrissian.... Maybe there is a chance for his young son... I think he said his name was Lando... Maybe by the time he grows up... things will be better... Maybe this nightmare will be over... Maybe.

7. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

I had a bit of a bad day.

Typical Obi - understating everything. So he got drunk. Good for him. I think.

Getting on his Eopie backwards - then falling off [face_laugh] - that's Jedi grace for you.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Cool beans having Obi run into Lando that way LOL But not so cool having Beru see Obi do a passing impression of a drunk on the skids [face_laugh] ;)

Looking forward to more!

:)

9. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Living on Tatooine would drive anyone to drink and poor Obi-Wan is alone.
    Lucky Beru saw him fall, or the scum and villiany of Tatooine may have cut his throat.

nice update.=D=

10. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Thanks to everyone for reading

Obi-Wan gets a lecture

Well, I should have expected it... Qui-Gon showed up last night just as my headache was starting to fade. He wasn't very happy with the fact that I had gotten drunk and got myself injured. I pointed out that I was aware that it was not a god thing to be doing... Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever do anything that man will approve of. I know I shouldn't have done it but it's not like I can go back in time and change it.

So, I figured I'd do the obvious and get rid of him quickly so I asked him about Anakin. I was surprised when instead of disappearing he asked me what I wanted to know. My befuddled mind couldn't figure out what to ask and before I knew it he was telling me that he would be back in a week or so... that Yoda needed an update on my status. Great... Now he's going to go and tell Yoda I have a drinking problem or something... Oh well, maybe he's right. Maybe I do.

Oh well, I can't help but think about my failure and I know I don't need to focus on those things... I need to start planning for training Luke, he won't need to be trained like a normal Jedi... Because he'll be older before we even start. I almost envy Luke for his normal childhood, well perhaps normal isn't a good term as there is nothing normal about the backwater sand trap, but he is loved and cherished by those raising him and that's more than I can say for children raised in the Temple.

Maybe we had it wrong, starting so young and taking the children away from their mothers... maybe if Anakin had more time with Shmi he would have turned out differently. Maybe things would have been different. I'm just not sure. I don't know. Maybe part of his problem was he was too attached to his mother. Maybe her death is what started everything going so wrong. Maybe I'm just sitting around looking for something to blame.

Its so hard to sit and think but I've got to look at Anakin and his failings to figure out what to do with Luke. And what of Leia, I'm sure she is well cared for, but what if I fail with Luke, who is going to train her? Qui-Gon says he's keeping an eye on the situation but I'm still curious as to how she will turn out. It's a shame they have to grow up not knowing each other... they could help each other though so much... But, that is not for the best. I guess I have to just trust Yoda on this one and wait it out.

I think I'll go for a walk now and get back to this later.

11. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

Oh well, I can't help but think about my failure and I know I don't need to focus on those things... I need to start planning for training Luke, he won't need to be trained like a normal Jedi... Because he'll be older before we even start. I almost envy Luke for his normal childhood, well perhaps normal isn't a good term as there is nothing normal about the backwater sand trap, but he is loved and cherished by those raising him and that's more than I can say for children raised in the Temple.

Now, now, Obi, the Temple didn't treat the crechlings like robots, it was just a different kind of affection, and not everyone needs or gives the same kinds.

But it's good to question the way it was and the way it could be.

12. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Valiary_Scot: Thanks for reading

The Death of Me

I am thoroughly convinced that Luke Skywalker will be the death of me. Don't get me wrong. I gave myself the challenge of watching over him. It was my choice but I had no idea that even as a baby the lad could get into more trouble that Anakin with a pod racer. It might be easier to watch over him if Owen would let me near him but, Nooooo... Owen is afraid of him turning out like Anakin (which he blames me for, by the way) that he won't even let me within sight of the house.

Though I'm there all the time anyway, he just doesn't know it.

Today I had to chase off a group of Tusken Raiders. That is no so much an odd thing. Trouble is, I couldn't help but feel like there was something familiar about them. I was trying to pinpoint the feeling when the distraction of my wayward thoughts quite nearly cost me my life.

Distraction, when trying to defeat a large group of enemies, is a bad thing and can nearly cost you your life. I was surprised that I was so easily distracted but I could feel Jedi. I don't know from where... but it was there and I felt it.

And then I could hear cries from Luke. So, I headed towards the homestead. It was nothing but Luke throwing a temper tantrum, which had I not been day dreaming I would have known... And Owen nearly shot me on sight.

He did a lot of yelling and swearing and cursing me and the whole Jedi Order. (I didn't remind him that I for all purposes and intent, the order was gone and I was pretty much alone)

I wound up back in my hut and I still swear that I can feel the presence of another Jedi close by. Maybe the heat is finally getting to me... Who knows?

13. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

And Owen nearly shot me on sight.

He did a lot of yelling and swearing and cursing me and the whole Jedi Order. (I didn't remind him that I for all purposes and intent, the order was gone and I was pretty much alone)

Listen up, Owen, you mistreat Obi and you'll have to answer to me! So shape up.

Another Jedi, eh? A'Sharad Hett? Or someone else?

14. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Obi-Wan had to put up with a lot didn't he?":_|

15. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great post with the Tusken raiders. And I think he will meet one of them (Darth Krayt)[face_thinking]

16. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Thanks for reading. Hopefully RL is calmed down a bit and hopefully I'm back on track.

Meditation

Well, I can't get my mind off this Jedi presence I've been feeling so I risked contact with Master Yoda. He was none to pleased with me using our semi-secured com connection for something he considered trivial.

I tried to explain to him that when I focus and meditate on this feeling I get images of death and destruction. He told me I'm confusing my grief over Anakin and the monstrosity he has become with Luke and Luke is the Jedi presence I'm sensing.

He's wrong, I don't know how I know it but he is. However, there is nothing to make you feel bad or second guess yourself like being on the receiving end of a lecture from Master Yoda. I was just glad that he couldn't come through that com and whack me in the shins with that blasted Gimmer Stick of his... trust me, you did not want to be on the receiving end of that thing.

I know he's wrong and I'm going to investigate farther. But, first I must go into town because I have to go off world for an important errand and Yoda agreed that I must undertake this errand. So, I've arranged to get off world transportation with that Carlissian fellow I met a while back. It's going to cost me a pretty penny and I'm going to have to travel with his family but I have a good feeling about this family so I'm sure everything will work out splendidly.

What's the worst thing that could happen?

17. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

He's wrong, I don't know how I know it but he is. However, there is nothing to make you feel bad or second guess yourself like being on the receiving end of a lecture from Master Yoda. I was just glad that he couldn't come through that com and whack me in the shins with that blasted Gimmer Stick of his... trust me, you did not want to be on the receiving end of that thing.

Yoda - you doubt Obi-Wan and his instincts! Bad Yoda, bad Yoda!

What's the worst thing that could happen?
    [face_talk_hand]

You just jinxed it, Obi-Wan. I've got a bad feeling about this.

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Meeting Ferus Olin?

Nice to see him with the Calrissian family.

Intriguing update

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Mystified about who that other jedi presence is [face_thinking]

And don't ever ask what's the worse that could happen? [face_liarliar]

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.