main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Desert Illuminations (Intertrilogy, Obi-Wan) 08/11

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by red rose knight, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.

You are playing my song!! :p

But I would say that you have definitely got it right with this story. Beautiful, haunting, mysterious.

I'll be keeping my eye out for your posts.

2. Magier

Magier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2007
    Sorry, I have gotten way behind on my reading.

I am glad you are picking this up again as I just love reading about my Obi. In this last post I could feel the part of him that yearns for other Jedi and Force sensitives. It is interesting to see him turned into someone desert-smart and caught up with this group. :p

3. nada_smith

nada_smith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2006
    I admit, I gave this story a pass at first because desert Obi-Wan stories can sometimes be so angsty. Well, I'm very glad I came to my senses and read this one!

Obi-Wan's sorrow comes through, but he is doing his best to accept, live in the moment, and listen to the force. Your writing is simply beautiful, and you've blended flashbacks, Obi-Wan's private musings, and the story of the ship and the caravan masterfully.

I loved the flashback to Qui-Gon's lesson with Obi-Wan. Like someone else mentioned, having the lesson set in a waterfall draws a sharp contrast with his current Tatooine environment. The wet/dry comparison really underlines how drastically his circumstances have changed, yet the lesson is the same. Listen to the Force, and the Force is everything. (Or at least that's how I interpreted it.)

Again, having the caravan find the Zangem ship is perfect. I liked that it brought back memories of Anakin. The portrayal of their relationship is very nice--great banter with undercurrents of tension and misunderstanding. Also, the Jedi on the ship and the chanting remind us of all Obi-Wan has lost. That scene with Obi-Wan and the Jedi was so poignant.

I'm intrigued by the ship and what it's doing in the desert. (Btw, did you make up the ship? It's very cool!) What is the mysterious, glowing writing? And the sense of darkness?

This is a well-balanced, gorgeously written story! Thanks so much for writing and sharing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.