main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Amph "Destiny is all." - The Last Kingdom thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, May 4, 2017.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Force Ghost star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    So the second series of this fantastic BBC show has barely ended and already I'm suffering from withdrawal. :(

Everything about this show is brilliant: the story, the dialogue, the well fleshed out characters, the beautiful cinematography... it's just all so good!

Basically, Uhtred son of Uhtred et al rock. :D

Mortimer Snerd and Everton like this.
  2. Everton

Everton Force Ghost star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    QMAOFT.

3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    YSLCATGOT

Darth Punk and tom like this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Force Ghost star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I watched the first two eps directly after binging Vikings, and that was a mistake. It's one I need to revisit.

Well yes, but that's the least of your obligations!

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I enjoyed the first season, but I don't know when the second is supposed to air in the States.

Looked it up. Apparently Netflix is putting it up tomorrow. Hooray!

7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Force Ghost star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Everything but one thing, imo: the voiceover recap at the start of each episode always sounds cheesy and horrible. I cringe through it every time.

Good series, though.

Ian Hart might well be the best actor of the bunch - his Father Beocca is perhaps my favourite character.

8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yes, it is perhaps a little cheesy, but I don't mind it too much. I'll rather have a cheesy recap than a "coming next" bit at the end.

And Father Beocca is, indeed, awesome.

soitscometothis likes this.
  9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I love Uhtred. He's like a guy who figured out he's the protagonist and wants to see how far his plot armour goes.

That being said, he was surprisingly unfoolish this series in comparison to the first, where he was way more prone to extremely bad decision making.

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Since apparently there are more people who want to discuss this show... here's a shameless upping of the thread. :p

Anyway, I started reading the books - only the first four, though. I don't want to get ahead of the TV show. I am pleasantly surprised that the show pretty much matches them, no big changes were made to the story or the major characters (other than the inevitable tweaks to the adaptation, such as streamlining the story, merging a couple of minor characters into others, and changing the setting for budgetary reasons). And the story remains consistently solid.

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Welp, I didn't realize there were books.

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, the show is an adaptation of books by Bernard Cornwell. Looking at the info at the back of them, there seems to be 9 of them so far - although I don't know whether he's still writing more. They're also not big (about 350-400 pages each) and the TV show does two books per series. So the story moves at a pretty brisk pace, without either the need to pad things out or to cut big chunks to fit in the series.

13. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I loved the first season, haven't started the second yet. Been meaning to read the books for a while, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

14. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    @Mar17swgirl I see the new season (3) has just turned up on Netflix. I had no idea it was going Netflix exclusive.

15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, it is. I didn't know the whole series 3 is up - looks like we'll be binging on Uhtred son of Uhtred! :D (We'll try to limit it to one episode per day, though... :p )

16. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    David Dawson is pretty wonderful as Alfred.

Rew and Mar17swgirl like this.
  17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh yeah, all the (old) cast is pretty amazing.

Not sold on Bloodhair, though. He seems just another run of the mill Dane to defeat.

Edit: We're only 3 episodes in. Trying to space it out a bit. :p

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Just finished watching episode 8. That last shot of Alfred standing behind Uhtred, slowly coming into focus. Wow. What a shot! WHAT A SHOT! :eek:^:)^

19. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Yeah, it's actually kind of creepy.

I have one more episode to go.

No matter the situation, no matter what life throws at him, Uhtred always has his guyliner. I'm sure there is a lesson there for all of us.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I mean, it's a perfect demonstration of how good the show is: that it can afford to have this simple, quiet, understated shot that's essentially just two men standing, and yet there is so much power and depth that's been building up over the course of three seasons. It's magnificent television.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I enjoyed the first season when it aired, but it didn't fully grab me. Certainly had it's moments, though. I think the supporting characters overshadowed the main protagonist, however, who varied from ok-to-annoying at times. I'll probably return to it eventually if the series runs long enough, but i had to deprioritize it.

22. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I don't remember what I thought of series 1, but I know I enjoyed series 2, and 3 so far has been very binge-worthy. Ian Hart and David Dawson are the strongest players for me, but all the supporting cast are good, and the fact that the series is based on novels means that I have confidence that the makers have an idea of where they are going.

I've not read the books, but I've read Cornwell's Arthur trilogy and the series feels pretty similar.

23. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    We finished the last episode yesterday. And what a fantastic series it has been. Absolutely amazing. Episode 9 was probably the best one - the scene between Alfred and Uhtred was fantastic. Alfred bared his soul there - no more holding back, no more only telling Uhtred bits of what he needs to know - Alfred knew he was running out of time and he needed Uhtred to understand him. And Uhtred finally did understand. It was a phenomenal scene, brilliantly performed by both actors. And the follow up scene in the final episode, where Uhtred defends himself publicly on the square in front of everyone, was equally great. The three series' worth of character development truly showed there.

It's been a long time since I've seen anything so satisfying. :D What a fantastic show, and what a fantastic series.

And if David Dawson doesn't win a Bafta for his phenomenal performance as Alfred, then there is no justice in this world.

=D==D==D=^:)^

Rew and soitscometothis like this.
  24. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I agree about 9 being a great episode, largely for Uhtred and Alfred finally settling their differences in that scene. I don't remember Dawson being a standout in the previous two series, but he walks away with this one. I think The Last Kingdom has gradually improved, with this series being the best of the three for me. Certainly the shift to Netflix hasn't hurt it any.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, the increase in budget is visible (a lot of very realistic practical effects), but I like that they didn't go overboard, but kept the look and feel of the show consistent.