main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    The last one was good, but it seemed a bit dragged out to me. IMO, Prisoner was the best of the series.

2. count-de-monet

count-de-monet Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2001
    I've never read any of the Potter books are they really that good? I thought they were kids books

3. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    They are technically kids books, but thousands if not millions of adults love them too. I would actually consider the writing style very versatile, it will reach everywhere from 10 to 80 easily.

4. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Look at the bright side.
    It's unlikely to challange your preconcieved notions of right and wrong unless you're a right wing christian fundamentalist.

Or a daemon from the eternal fires of hell.

Or left handed.

5. count-de-monet

count-de-monet Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2001
    I'll have to think about picking one of those up, right now I'm readin city prime evil by Elmore Leonard. I just started it.

But I will keep Potter in mind next time I hit the Book Store, what are my odds of finding a used copy? (I only buy used books, too poor I'm afraid)

6. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    I imagine you could find a copy. You could always try Amazon too, they'll probably have it cheap.

I love Elmore Leonard, btw. :D He's so cool.

7. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    Hey, I was thinking, so TPM was being made in 98, and that's the year the first Harry came out. Do you think that Uncle George chose to have Kitster say "Wizard" because of it?

8. Barbara Fett

Barbara Fett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 23, 1999
    I love Harry Potter! John Cleese and Warwick Davis are PERFECT for the roles of Nick and Flitwick. I have tried the Every Flavor Beans and they are good. The pepper ones... eww...

9. Darth_Crayon

Darth_Crayon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 30, 2000
    Harry Potter rocks! They are the only series of books I am able to read over and over again. I can't wait to see Hermione in the movie! She's such a cutie!

10. Amidolee

Amidolee Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2000
    Well, glad to see this here!! :D

Well, Jedi Master Mara Jade bullied me into reading HP, and I'm really glad she did too! :p I absolutely love it and am getting attacked by plot bunnies for HP fic.

A great HP site is: Sugar Quill
    It's a great site for fanfic, fan art, news, and message boards :)

I'd like to say, I'm also a bit displeased with the Harry choice for the movie. Harry stands taller than Ron when he's supposed to be shorter, and the scar looks penciled in and dumb.

Everything else looks great :D

11. Jedi Speewwy

Jedi Speewwy Jedi Master star 5

Dec 24, 1999
    I'm itching to see the movie. I don't know how I'll hold out til November.

12. Amidolee

Amidolee Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2000
    Monet, do you have a library near where you live? I read all the HP books from library ones. I've just recently boughten the first two on paperback.

13. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I'm reading the fourth book for the second time. I haven't picked it up in a long time because I've been reading books for my book club and all.

I finished the first three ina weeks time. It was hard with work and all but I read them again once I finished the fourth. I'm trying to get my little brother to read them but right now my grandma is borrowing the books.

14. Endermunkee

Endermunkee Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    . . . Hugh Grant has just signed to play the daft dark arts teacher in the sequal . . .

Hugh Grant playing an adorable but brainless git? Where'd they come up with that idea?

Certified Potterhead right here-- my whole family (minus my mom and dad, who don't like to read, are Potter fans, but then, that leaves only my siblings, so, uh . . . ) I lost my thought . . .

I wanted to go as Harry Potter for Halloween last year. Magic marker scar, taped glasses, robes, the whole enchilada. I chickened out the day before, and my sister went instead.

A question: d'you think they wear the hats in school all day long?

Also: what kind of wand would you like to have? For me, I'd like a nice pine, 11 in., a little swishy, with a tail feather from you-know-who.

15. Jedi Speewwy

Jedi Speewwy Jedi Master star 5

Dec 24, 1999
    I don't know what kind of wand I'd want. At the official site you can actually go and try out wands. It's fun.

16. Endermunkee

Aug 15, 2000
    OOooooOOOoo.

17. Endermunkee

Aug 15, 2000
    Oo! Oo! Oo!

I got sorted into Gryffindor on my first try, I have a pet tree monkey, and I have a wand!: Phoenix feather, maple, 7.5 inches! yay!

18. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    We realize it's just a book, right?

19. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Harry Snotter is horrible!

20. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    You're a turd!!

21. Endermunkee

Aug 15, 2000
    :p, Ah but there's nothing like let's-pretend. It makes life so much more flavorful.

Pobre munkee. Ella no puede to spell.

22. Zasio

Zasio Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2000
    Never read one book all the way through. :\

I started reading one a li'l over a year ago or so when I was working at a li'l kids summer school . . .

That was during their reading time and they had to read, too . . . And some of the li'l kids read faster than me! :p

I think they were more about reading fast than getting the story. :\

Er, yeah . . . just going through and posting randomly. :\

23. Endermunkee

Aug 15, 2000
    Has anyone ever noticed the cute thing about "Diagon Alley" and "Nocturn Alley"?

Did you know that "Nagini" means "Snake Charmer" in Hindi?

24. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Anyone know how the authors lawsuit is going?

25. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    Well I went to the official site yesterday and got sorted in Gryffindor too. My wand is Phoenix Feather 7 1/2 Inch Redwood. Just what I would have hoped for.

I'd like to formally apologize to Paddy. I watched the trailer again yesterday and I agree about the glasses. Just a tad too metallic for Harry.

Oh, and as for the scar on his forehead, I read an article that J.K. Rowling told them to put it there. Y'see she never specified in the books where on his forehead it is located. Apparently the way it is in the movie is how she's always had it in her mind.