main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Would you say it was an animajor screw up?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    McGonnagal at least, suggests that Pettigrew was less talented that James and Sirius, and Lupin confirms that Pettigrew needed a lot of help from the other two to complete the Animagus process.

Still, he may have been only a tiny bit below them in talent, and way above average wizards of his age.

3. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    My headcannon suggests that James and Sirius were the top of their class in Transfiguration, so Peter needing a lot of help from them wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It might have been a case of him being good as opposed to them being great.

Jedi Merkurian and Iron_lord like this.
  4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i know yours is a common complaint, and it's a point that i'm sure people have gone back and forth over at earlier points in this thread, but it's not a complaint i share. i guess i just don't need those details explicitly spelled out in the film because i have read the books, i know those details are there even if they're only barely mentioned. to me that history and lore still imbues the story even without a prologue or section of dialogue that explicitly references it on screen. i felt the first two films suffered from being too cookie cutter and trying to stick too closely to books, i thought cuaron's adaptation of poa was really a thing of beauty by comparison.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I didn't really like any of the films until Goblet, with PoA my least favourite, probably because it's also my favourite of the books.

But I am more forgiving of it now.

One thing I sorely missed from the books is S.P.E.W. I really wanted that in there.

Force Smuggler and tom like this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Oh, don't get me wrong. PoA is one of my favorites (besides OotP), and is the film that made me start giving the films serious attention. PoA has a brilliant "plot pretzel":
    -Oh no! Another DatDA teacher is in league with the villain!
    -Wait, what? The villain isn't actually a villain?
    -The actual villain is...the family rat?!? :eek:=D=

And I didn't read any of the books until after I'd already seen the film saga. Oftentimes, there's some "book snobbery" towards film adaptations; usually boiling down to either "I can't believe they left out/added___" or "This wasn't how I pictured it in my head." The Marauders' denouement, and possibly Creacher's Tale, are the only things left out that I think would've enhanced the films. That, and if somehow they worked in Harry saying "You never learn, do you Tom?" from DH.

cwustudent, PCCViking and tom like this.
  7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Sorry to interrupt, but for those of you who are familiar with my posts, what house would you put me in?

Seriously asking for a friend. She's way into HP and we've been having a fun argument over it.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You posts are from the head rather than the heart, but you are not heartless or cold. Ravenclaw.

Bacon164 and Coruscant like this.
  9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Let's not forget S.P.E.W.'s successor organization, S.P.U.G. either. :p

PCCViking and Diggy like this.
  12. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Personally, I preferred Ron's suggestion: H.E.L.F. The House Elf Liberation Front. :p

Darkslayer, Iron_lord and Diggy like this.
  13. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Even ignoring Warner Bros. copyright take-down, it's seriously not fake. There are so many unique art assets in the footage that it would have to take a bloody dedicated team of trolls to put together a fake of that quality.

According to some reports it's the open world RPG that Avalanche Software put out job listings for a couple of years back, after Disney announced the cancellation of Disney Infinity. If the reports are true, the game is still a while off, and is either a next gen or cross gen title.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    At least the Wand Order Problem was a legitimate thing to change.
    Lily came out of the wand first then James in GOF.
    Instead of the other way around.

16. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I strongly disagree with most of the points in the article.

Firstly, half of the article is the authors problem that JK's political positions don't align perfectly with hers, and then being upset when she responds to fans who tried to use her characters against her. Somehow I don't think the author would be upset when JK uses the characters to the effect that she would agree with (like saying Voldemort is better than Trump).

Then she says that she's upset that more diverse characters weren't included in the books explicitly (which is a fair criticism) but then hand waves away the fact that some characters could be read as minorities. I'm not sure why Dumbledores sexuality was at all relevant to the character at that point in his story, or why it needed to be explained that a side character was Jewish... sometimes things lie this don't need to be explained in the story, especially when they aren't the focus.

Regarding the Nagini thing... I'm not sure what the problem is? There are other Asian characters who are portrayed completely differently, so it's not an issue of the series only having Asian characters in this position, and it's also clear the relationship isn't portrayed as a healthy one...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  17. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    For size:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cave of Erised likes this.
  18. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    SWpants and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I am....confused by this statement.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Clickhole is part of The Onion. ;)

cwustudent likes this.
  22. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Oh, that does seem like the kind of thing that The Onion would come up with.

cwustudent, Iron_lord and EHT like this.
  23. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    One problem I have with this article is that implies Rowling announced Dumbledore was homosexual on her own and without any context (the insinuation being she did so for no reason other than social brownie points). However, this not what happened. She was asked in an interview if Dumbledore has ever been in love. The answer to the question revealed more about the character. I’m not sure how this detail is a revision considering Dumbledore was never established as either gay or straight (unless the reader defaults a sexuality which is their problem). The article claims she should have been direct about it and maybe she should have. However, I wouldn’t qualify Dumbedore being gay post-release as messing or changing with the established story.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    cwustudent and Iron_lord like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Gakk! Why is this not the biggest story?!!

[​IMG]

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Because it's fake...