main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    What it adds is more understanding of the circumstances surrounding the deaths of Harry’s parents and the connection that Harry has to the Marauders in general and to James in particular. There’s a reason why Harry’s Patronus usually takes the form of a stag and that was completely omitted from the film. So, yeah, it matters.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Ok, but I thought (perhaps incorrectly) the stag connection was made clear in the film. I don’t see specifically what the backstory adds to Harry’s journey in PoA.

to be clear, I’m operating from ignorance here- but that ignorance feels useful, as a means of clarifying what exactly should have been in the film. I can understand the rationale for jettisoning that stuff on film- all those Tom Riddle / Hattie flashbacks didn’t exactly play in the CoS movie.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    The connection between Harry’s Patronus and James is only clear if you’ve already read the book and even in the book, Harry initially thinks that the Patronus was somehow cast by James, which he readily acknowledges is crazy because James is dead. So, yeah I get that the movie needs to keep things in order to avoid an unacceptably long runtime, but it would have a taken a couple of lines of dialogue to make that connection clearer.

4. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    So is the patronus link the main idea missing that contributes to Harry’s arc / growth?

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's basically the beginning of a multi-book arc of Harry trying to living up to his dad's example. There's hints of it before (Harry became a seeker just like James), but now he's met his dad's school friends so there's a much stronger link. Then of course his occlumency lessons throw a kink in that when he learns James bullied Snape.

And of course the more he knows about the Marauders the more he understands and gets close to Sirius, which is a parallel arc, also beginning in POA.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  6. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. The books repeatedly tell us that Lily and James loved Harry were willing to die for him to protect him from Voldemort, but their sacrifice left a permanent fingerprint on the shape of his magic. The movie should have made that more clear and didn’t.

Jedi Merkurian and Bacon164 like this.
  7. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Yeah the occlumency stuff landed so much more in the books, but I’m not so sure if the blame can be laid at how much they cut out vs the fact that the entire film of OOTP was basically constructed as an endless montage to cram it all into two hours.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, I think 5hat one of the things that hurt Order the Phoenix was that Steve Kloves wasn’t available. I think by that point it was clear that Warner Bros was going to adapt the entire series. My issues with the stuff left out of Prisoner of Azkaban aside, overall Steve Kloves did brilliant job of adapting the six books that he worked. The narrative purpose of OOTP was to set up the endgame. Warner Bros should have waited for him to become available again.

9. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Pretty sure it’s the absolute worst HP film, despite how pretty I remember it being.

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, it’s the longest book and it’s the shortest film. I’ve heard that the initial cut of OOTP was something like three hours long. I’d be interested in a Peter Jackson-style ultimate cut of Order of the Phoenix, to see if it makes the movie better, At the very least, it could use like another 20 mins of runtime. I was really disappointed that so much of the Department of Mysteries was cut. That was a really great set piece action sequence.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm still mad they cut out Peeves entirely

FatBurt and PCCViking like this.
  12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, like that moment where McGonagall tells Peeves how to unscrew the chandelier, and Gred and Forges’ indoor swamp, which Flitwick actually kept a piece of because it was a really good bit of magic.

PCCViking and Mar17swgirl like this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Speaking of indoor swamp, I had a silly image in my mind when reading about Filch punting students across the swamp. As an American, I took that to mean he kicked them across (like American football punting), instead of rowing them across (as what it really means). :p

Rew, Blobofat, Barriss_Coffee and 2 others like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh no, Filch was totally kicking them. He hates kids and just wanted to hang out with his cat. And plot revenge against Arya Stark

Barriss_Coffee and PCCViking like this.
  15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Oh, now that I think about it, I totally see Filch wanting to do that, because he hates the students. And I can see the disappointed look on his face when McGonagall tells him that he can’t.

[face_laugh]

Jedi Ben and PCCViking like this.
  16. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    my issue with the film was always structural. I don't think deleted scenes would change that, but it could alleviate the ratio of montage vs AN ACTUAL SCENE to some degree.

17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Rew, blackmyron and Bacon164 like this.
  18. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Factoid: Filch lives in St Albans. Well, the actor does. I drive through there a fair bit and I've seen him out walking the Wheathampstead side of the city a few times this past couple of years.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Half-Blood Prince is my least favorite.

I can get into movies and shows with teen drama, but for some reason it’s not that appealing in Harry Potter. I don’t mind it in Deathly Hallows, but that’s because the movie as a whole was better paced and had enough else.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    It’s touched on in that book in a way it isn’t anywhere else— that’s what makes it feel inorganic and less embedded into the tonal fabric of the series, I think. I actually really like it, but wish it didn’t feel like it came out of nowhere

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, there are points where the Harry Potter books definitely could have used a B plot.

22. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I wonder what’s next I really think they should do a Harry Potter universe show on hbo max maybe the marauders or maybe Harry’s children. Something.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I’d potentially be interested in seeing a Harry Potter Expanded Universe.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  24. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    It could be so cool!

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]