main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Diary Challenge Thread 2012 Important annoucement please read and respond

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Yup! Found it. :D

Thanks!

2. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    I'm not sure if I'm going to do the diary again in 2012. There's a few ideas I have, but the one I did this year was so emotionally draining I really don't know if I have it in me to do it again :(

3. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Then maybe try something that's a little more simple? :)

4. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Jade eyes I was considering doing a diary for Rose! So that means you can still get Doctor Who next year! I was thinking that since there are 26 episodes and 12 months I could probably do two episodes a month and then add a third episode when inspiration strikes me!

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Lane: Your Downward Spiral was an emotionally taxing but very gratifying read seeing Syal come through on the other side.

What I think would be very lighthearted and fun! ;) is a "Diary of a Rogue" [face_mischief] either Wedge or Corran - and it can have pranks and romance - including moments with Iella or Mirax - we'll skip the whole Qui Xux thingy, please :p

o_O

That was just a road bump anyway just like Callista was for Luke [face_laugh]

6. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    No mush for me this year. Had enough of that for a while. ;)

My diary will be set in Before the Saga. It'll be fun.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    "Enough mush" [face_laugh] [face_laugh] never thought I'd see those two words in the same sentence [face_mischief]

Before has captured my attention recently with some fine Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan adventures. ;)

Looking forward to Ceil's & "Rose Tyler's" diary.

:cool:

8. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I haven't decided if I'll do another diary for next year. I mean I had fun this year writing, but I don't know if I can really do it again.

9. Raxacoricofallapatorius

Raxacoricofallapatorius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 20, 2010
    I'm considering a Siri diary for Saga. I might do more than one because I'm considering one a little more humorous... :D

10. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    *walks into the FF boards*

I'd be interested in that!

Anyway, I'm thinking about trying my hand at fanfic. The game over in the RPF that I've been playing in for a little over a year is more of a fanfic style with very little interaction than regular play-by-post roleplaying, so I already have a little experience. A diary sounds like a great place to start.

Are we allowed to do an outline now, or does that have to wait until January 1 as well? I have an unusual idea, but I need to outline it first to see if I can get enough posts out of it or if I need to switch to a backup plan, which I don't have yet. (I might also have to find a backup plan if I can't keep my primary idea from sounding too ridiculous.)

11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Welcome! I too, did RPs (for quite a few years actually) on another website before coming here and getting into FanFiction. Now, I don't RP because the the all of my writing time is taken up by fanfic (... and getting distracted). But I find fanfic is very similar to doing RPs, especially diaries where you really get into one person's head. Plus, with fanfics, you don't have to wait till the other person posts to continue the story and you can make any character do what you want them to do.

A diary is a great place to start, in my opinion anyways. But doing a diary for an entire year is a challenge, and a huge commitment, especially if you are just starting out in fanfic. BUT, if you have been able to continue a RP for over a year, I say you probably have what it takes to do this.

I think rough outlines on paper are fine, but you better wait till Jedi_Falcon confirms.

12. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    You know... now that it has restarted and I am in utter need of something to jumpstart my muse... I'm gonna join in on this.

I did mention in The Devil You Know that Zuckuss was requested to keep a journal, so perhaps I will write that! Now, to think of a snappy title...

So, how long do the entries need to be? Can they be short? Should they have some type of in-universe dating system? Does it really matter in what POV the diary is written, as since I am planning to use Zuckuss, he has multiple personalities, and as was evident in Breakfast in Bedlam and the aforementioned TDYK, he will switch between third and first person, and his nuances change. Should be interesting to write this...

Mav Edit: Links to story threads removed. Linking to story threads is only allowed when specifically asked for in a thread, such as if you were posting a link to your diary once the challenge starts.

13. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    The entries can be as short or as long as you want them to be. Just remember, you need enough story for the entire year. Two posts minimum a month.

As long as it's in the same characters perspective. I can't see that being much of a problem. The actual problem I see if you try and switch actual characters and not just someone with a mutiple personality disorder.

Ceillean might know a little more then me since I took over the challenge back in July. Ceillean what do you think about that?

Now I'm thinking about it. Most diarys are written in I form. How do you plan on letting your readers know which personality is speaking? If you say he/she or the name then you're slipping in past tense defeating the purpose of the diary form.

This is my questions to you. How do you plan on writing the diary and how do you plan to let your readers know that your character has slipped from one personality to another without breaking the pov and not breaking the structure of the diary? How do you plan to keep it straight without making it too confusing?

Give these questions some serious thought first.

As long as you don't post until January 01st 2012 then a rough outline now is fine. Last year, I not only had the outline of my diary. I had the first three months written up a head of time.

I find having a rough outline a head of time helps keep your diary on track for the year. Planning a head is a great way to keep on top of your entries.

14. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I've just had a great idea to set my diary in the 'Dawn of the Jedi' era, which is 25,000 BBY. All good in theory but I don't know anything about that time and the first issue isn't out until February. I still want to do it but I don't know what to do about starting my diary. Any suggestions?

15. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! :) Now to just figure out if my idea will work...

Thanks. I'll get to work on the outline here soon. What do you mean when you say you had the first three months written up ahead of time? I thought there was no writing allowed until January.

16. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    And with Kaagi coming with his diary in that area;)
    Marhin will do his after you know [face_worried]

17. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Already figured it out. Basically, the usual Gand form of speaking is in third person, with the Gand's name taking the place of pronouns. And last time I wrote a journal, I wrote it in past tense, unless I was describing something I noticed or was doing right at that moment that didn't require two hands to do. For example, I could say "It is overcast outside and I am watching TV as I write this." In third person, it would be "It is overcast outside and Trak is watching TV as she writes this." Usually, though, when I've written in a journal, it was to sum up the day, i.e.; "Today was quite slow. I did my dishes earlier, they needed to be done. But, after I squared that away, what do I go and do but dirty some dishes!"

To speak in third person doesn't always require past tense. In Of Possible Futures, Zuckuss uses third person and he speaks in present tense. "Zuckuss has our answers already," "Zuckuss knows that we..." "Zuckuss agrees..." "Zuckuss thinks..." "Zuckuss" and related third person pronouns (he) just take the place of "I" and "me".

I intend to take a look at some diaries and see how they're formatted, but to restrict oneself to present tense and only present tense defeats the purpose of what would essentially be a written stream of consciousness, which quite often switches tense on a whim. One's own brain is not very consistent when it comes to manual of style.

EDIT: Upon review of some diary entries, I'm still gonna do this and I'm still gonna write from the point of view of a mentally ill bounty hunter who is stuck in prison. Who knows, perhaps throughout the course of the diary... he may get out of prison. ;)

18. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Actually I didn't really write until Jan 01st and if you know you're going to be busy ahead of time, it doesn't hurt to have some rough posts written up but everything changed with some of the challenges I did.

19. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Aww, I'm glad you guys liked it [:D] [:D]

I haven't decided whether I'm doing a diary this year. I haven't managed to keep up with any of the three "real" diaries I've done, and the VSDs feel like cheating because they're so short, I write them in one afternoon and am done for the year. I'm considering trying a longer diary again, but I don't know if I have the time.

20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I considering attempting to do this again. Last year my Fanfic New Years Resolution was to not do any of the big long challenges so I didn't do it.

Starting in January I'm going to meet a group of people I met during NaNoWriMo once a week to write so it might get accomplished. *fingers crossed*

If I do, it will probably be in NSWFF because I'm thinking about doing an NCIS diary, but we shall see. :)

21. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    ah, the challenge is still alive. I'm considering attempting this with a Naruto fanfic. Is it okay if the story is more a series of recollections of the past, ie short stories that a mother is telling to her son, instead of the present?

22. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    I think I'm going to do this this year, in Before, of course. :p A couple of folks have been urging me to give my pet OC, Kionee Rinnh, a full story of her own, rather than making her a constant side character, and I think this is a good chance. I'm in a similar position moosemousse, only mine will be Mandalorian Wars era, and the new Zayne comics don't come out until early next year too. So, I shall make stuff up!

23. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Hey guys! I need an opinion. :)

I'm thinking about that Artoo diary but now I'm trying to decide the timeframe - the OT or the TTT. I don't htink I have the time for both.

What do you guys think?

24. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I'm not sure if I'll be doing it or not.

Hazel, that sounds fun! Both have so much potential. Seeing the OT through R2's eyes would be great. Writing what he was really saying to 3PO during their manys cenes together (like escaping from Bespin) would be hilarious.

25. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I'm also not sure if I'll be up to writing for a year.

I had a great outline but decided it was way too good for fanfic so that's not going to work. :p I had an idea with a male OC of mine but...I don't know. We'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.