main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Alec Guiness See Episode 1 before he died?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by rpeugh, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Does anyone know if Alec Guiness saw episode 1 before he died? Or was his mental state in his old age not good enough to comprehend the movie? If he did see it, and if his mental state was still good enough, did he enjoy episode 1, and was he pleased with Ewan McGregor's performance? Were members of his family pleased with his performance? Do you think Guiness would have been pleased? I personally think Mr. Guineess would have been very pleased.

Mods, Im sorry if there is already a thread on this. If there is, you can lock this.

2. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    Alec Guiness called SW childish bafoonery in his memoirs....

man he must be rolling in his grave knowing that he will always be knows as Obi Wan Kenobi, and not for his other roles.

3. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    Are you serious? I must say that as a SW fan that makes me feel very offended and appalled, not to mention a little betrayed. Actually, that makes me so mad that now I DO want them to replace Alec with a digitally aged Ewan McGregor. Naw, just kidding. I wouldnt go that far. It would be way too difficult to do that anyway. But that still ticks me off.

If it makes him feel any better, I loved his performance as Hitler.

4. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    I really want to see that....he was such a good actor.

I think he got a little loony in his old age :)

5. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Guinness was not an SW fan...

BUT I think he wouldn't have made such a stink about it if it wasn't the biggest hit ever. But when it started overshadowing his other work, and people started coming up to the street and stuff...

He couldn't have minded SW as movies too much, as he signed up for ANH on his own free will and he did ESB and ROTJ for free.

Rick McCallum loves you!

6. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Wasn't he already dead before '99?

7. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Nope. "Not dead... not yet." Died on August 5, 2000.

Rick McCallum loves you!

8. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I?d like to know whether McGregor ever ?called up? Sir Alec, just to get some pointers? I don?t think he would have, especially with Sir Alec?s dislike of SW. But interested to know,nonetheless. BTW, is Peter Lawford still alive?

Maybe Im derailing this thread! Never mind!

9. GORILLA

GORILLA Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2002
    Nope openmind, Peter Lawford is dead. He was the first of the Rat Pack to kick the bucket, early 1980's from cancer I believe. Only Joey Bishop is left.

10. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Strange that Alec Guinness disliked the Star Wars phenomenon considering he made boatloads of money off it and earned an Oscar nomination for ANH.

11. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Yes, but surely it would have been rather cynical of him to like it just because it made money for him?

Tanjint likes this.
  12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    rpeugh: Don´t let it get to you. It doesn´t matter what anyone else thinks of Star Wars. Actors always take jobs they don´t REALLY want, but if they are good actors, they will make a good performance anyway.
    It´s the characters we watch, not the actors!

Tanjint likes this.
  13. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Seeing it probably killed him.

Tanjint likes this.
  14. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Alec Guiness hated STAR WARS. He despised the fact that he was forever remembered as Obi-Wan Kenobi instead of for his stand out performances in other films. I read a story once where a child asked for his autograph and fondly told the actor that he watched STAR WARS every week. The actor got down on one knee, looked the child in the eye, and said, "I want you to promise me that you will never watch that wretched movie again." Heck, he may as well have punched the kid in the gut.

Interestingly enough, Alec Guiness was one of Lucas' few supporters on the set of A NEW HOPE. On one occasion, Guiness happened upon some stage hands making disparaging comments about the young director and his movie (yeah, things haven't changed much, have they?) when Guiness jumped to his defense and said, "I think what he's doing is wonderful, very imaginative. You'll see." He was also very upset that his character was killed off so soon into the film. Later, Guiness would try and rewrite history by claiming he begged Lucas to kill his character off because he couldn't stomach the idea of "reciting those aweful lines." Makes you wonder why he came back to reprise his roll for two more films.

When writing THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, Lucas contacted Guiness and asked him if he would like to return as Obi-Wan, but before letting him agree, Lucas cautioned him that he could succumb to the Spock effect, the phenomonon that plagued Lenord Nimoy who could never shake his Spock persona no matter what he did (even to the point of writing a book trying to denounce his association with the character.) Despite such warnings, Guiness agreed. Predictably, Guiness and Obi-Wan Kenobi became synonmous, and Guiness grew to rue the day he heard of STAR WARS.

Point is, if he was alive during the time of TPM's release, I imagine he would have been as far away from the theater as possible.

15. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    I actually think a lot of what you said above has been wildly blown out of all preportion, Durwood. Just because Alec wasn't completely in love with Star Wars, like a few of the other actors who have been involved with the Saga over the years, doesn't mean he completely hated it. Infact I seem to remember that during one of the readings of his autobiography, at the end of it, he said, "And may the Force be with you." What I think is more likely is he had a love/hate relationship with it, like Harrison Ford. But that's going off the point of the thread...

Tanjint likes this.
  16. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    I think it was nice of GL to warn him about that. He shouldnt have warned him though. BUt Im sure that even if Guiness had not been in TESB or ROTJ, he would still be synonimous with Obiwan.

Also, Alec, I saw you as Pip's friend in GREAT EXPECTATIONS. YOu were just a teenager. I hope that makes you feel better.

Tanjint likes this.
  17. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    I remember seeing Alec Guiness on Letterman a few years back. At the end of the interview Letterman asked him, "would you say the line?"

So Guiness responded, "may the force be with you." The audience cheered.

Letterman looked at him and said, "well that wasn't the line I was looking for." To which Guiness & the audience had a good laugh.

18. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    And if it makes Leanord Nimoy feel any better, I remember him much more as GALVATRON from TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE than I do as Spock. (Mainly b/c I'm not a Star Trek fan.)

But I dont think Orson Wells would be too happy if I said I remember him more as UNICRON than as his performance in CITEZEN KANE.

Tanjint likes this.
  19. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, the positive thing about this is that we can use it as an argument against bashers who say that the prequels are childish and that ANH and ESB "take themselves seriously". Also, we can use it as an argument against people who say that Natalie does not like portraying Amidala and that it shows in her performance of her.

20. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Sad this is.

Tanjint likes this.
  21. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Regarding Durwood's story about the kid Alec Guinness made cry --

(1) The "kid" was fourteen.

(2) He did not watch Star Wars every week. He SAW Star Wars every week. In theaters. He'd seen it a hundred times.

(3) He told Sir Alec that he'd do anything he asked.

This isn't some little seven-year-old kid who had a toy taken away. Methinks the kid was a bit nuts.

Rick McCallum loves you!

22. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    "Also, we can use it as an argument against people who say that Natalie does not like portraying Amidala and that it shows in her performance of her."

Err.....forgive me for asking this, rpeugh, but how could you use that in argument against why Natalie doesn't have her heart in the role of Padme? I can't quite see your logic...

23. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    I think all the SW actors have sort of a love/hate relationship with it. The minor characters seem to love it (Peter Mayhew, David Prowse, Kenny Baker etc. etc.) but the major actors, who everybody recognizes...they become so synonymous with SW that they start hating it. They get so sick of not being able to distance themselves from it. Just look at ROTJ...Harrison Ford REALLY didn't want to be there.

24. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Ian McDiarmid is a major character that seems to love his role whole-heartedly.

He seems to be one of the only ones, though...

25. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Can't really blame Alec Guinness' sometimes spiteful reaction to Star Wars. He has a career that spans over 50 years, and to be mostly remembered for only Star Wars by the MTV Generation probably rubs him the wrong way. And to put up with it for over 20 years. 20 bloody years! That's older than some of the people in this forum, and imagine how many letters, interviews, fans, autographs, requests he's had pushed in his face in that time.

I personally don't mind what he says. I think, and will always think, Alec Guinness was one of the greatest things to ever happen to Star Wars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.