main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Anakin really love Padmé?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by darthperrus, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithscotti418

sithscotti418 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Of course he loved her , before his fateful choice, you saw tears go down his eyes. You just don't cry over a posession. Anakin had many inner conflicts, and fears that doomed the couple, but say they didn't love each other is silly. Her souled his soul for her, and Padme gave up her life than to be without him, or be with the twisted person he became.

2. baby_jedi

baby_jedi Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 2003
    Sometimes you treat those you love the most the worst. Yes, Anakin loved Padme. It consumed him.

3. ~ô¿ô~

~ô¿ô~ Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 1999
    He did love her, but it was a very immature sort of love. Keep in mind that he'd been a bit socially stunted. His love was a very "me-me-me" love - he loved her because she made him happy. Like others have said, I really think it bordered on obsession.

In greek terms, it was definately not the "agape" sort of love that happens in ideal relationships - it was way too immature and obsessive for that.

4. darth-ellen

darth-ellen Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2004
    ^^^ I could not have said it better myself. Very nice :)

d-e @};-

5. Master_ChAoS

Master_ChAoS Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    I think he loved her as a possession, ultimately. He seemed to be more in lust than in love. If you really love someone, then you are not afraid to let them go if it is inevitable. If you don't you'll try and keep them out of selfishness.

That's really what ROTS showed about their relationship. She loved him selflessly. He ended up finding out his love was really just selfish love when he couldn't accept that Padme may die. Instead of loving her the same everday it seemed he loved her conditionally and not unconditionally. He wasn't willing to love her in the moment, only if she were not to die. I hope that made since because reading it myself it seems a bit confusing, but I think we can see that the love was never unconditional on Anakin's part.

Ok, would you give YOUR LIFE for someone that was merely a possession? And yes he did give his life, he gave up his life as a Jedi he sold his soul to the Sith Lord, all to save her! Anakin lived as a slave until he was 9, the only male and female authority figures he had in is life were his mother and Watto (that freak). He didn't know HOW to love, but that doesnt mean that he DIDNT love. He knew that he loved his mother dearly and he lost her, he did not want to experience the same thing with Padme, he couldnt bear the thought of losing her (he said so himself in the movie). You people have obviously never loved someone if you can question the motives of his actions as saying he merely wanted her possesivly. True if you love someone you learn to accept their loss, but thats not something that happens imediately or that you just dont think about. Do you think if you knew your wife/husband was going to die, that you would not want to do something to change it? I mean come on try to listen to what your typing out before you post it (thats what the preview button is for). If those of you who believe she was a possession of his truly believe that, then you are cold heartless bastards that wouldnt know love if it bit you in the damn ass. And dont reply to this with "its a movie" or "their love wasnt expressed". YES it is a movie and YES GL didn't express their love in the scenes as strong as he could have, he could have had LOVE scenes allthroughout AOTC and ROTS if he wished, the reason for hiding it in the movie playout is the same as it was in the movie, it was forbidden love it was something that played major to the plot but it wasnt meant to be the PRIMARY point and focus of the plot.

I pose one thing, if anyone reading this, has someone they truly love with all their heart and soul. Think of them dying and then think of how wrenched your heart would be, the death of a loved one is never "forgotten" or "dealt with" its mourned, then embraced. Because you know that they can no longer suffer the sin and pain of this world. However the fact that the loved one will never return to your side is always a lingering memory. You will always rememer them and it will always bring you some point of sadness when you do. Anakin just couldnt bear to lose his beloved, not again, he lost his mother he wasnt going to lose Padme. This is what makes this part of the movie so strong and really explains what brought about his change, not that he wanted unimaginable power, but that he wanted to be able to save those he loved. Why else would news of her death, and the thought that HE had killed her, make him go maniacle in the end scenes?

6. zull52

zull52 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2004
    i dont think he actually killed her....remember he droid in the end of the movie said...something like she is physically fine but she is dying... and i think he did love her cause in the end darth vader went balistic when he found she was dead...mean emperor... :( :D

7. DARTH_CRISPY

DARTH_CRISPY Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2005
    Let's see, he turned to the darkside, killed the Jedi, atttempted to kill his best friend, all for her. I'd say that yes he does love her. He just gets too consumed with anger and greed once the turn has happened.

And he didn't kill her directly, his actions killed her, by breaking her heart.

8. baby_jedi

baby_jedi Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 2003
    Padme asks Anakin, "So love has blinded you?" This sums it up. Anakin loved Padme so much, his passion for her and his fear of losing her pushes him over the edge. The death of his mother haunted him through all the years. He thought he was doing what was neccessary. Love blinds you. Love makes you do irrational things. Love can make you crazy. But in the end, true love is an unselfish love. Anakin redeems his love in the end by saving his son.

9. darthperrus

darthperrus Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Well after reading all your comments I have now my own conclusion. I think Anakin really loved Padmé.

Anakin had a lot of emotional problems and Padmé was his only support. The jedi Council din't trust him, he was always rejected by them because of the prophecy, the members of the jedi council were scared . They knew he was powerful and they dind't know what could happen if things went bad with him. So they dindn't trust him because they were afraid of him, even yoda and Obi-Wan, as a result the continued pushing him back, and not letting him to develop his habilities.

The only two persons that really trust him were Palpatine and Padmé. Palpatine gave him what he had been searching all time since it was decided he would be trained to be a jedi, a little bit of attention. Palpatine always told him he was the most powerful jedi around the galaxy, which by the way was true. No one else did, probably Obi Wan, but lets admit that he never fully trust Anakin.

Padmé also gave him something he had been searching for since he left his mother, love and attention. I agree he was a little bit obssesed, but I also think it was true love. In many ways Anakin is still a little boy, and he loves her as a kid would do, but that doesn't mean he does not love her. The difference between Anakin and Padme is that she is a growned up girl and acts like one. She is the one that has the control in the relationship. We can see that in the movie, Anakin wants everyone to know they are married, but she stops him. Padmé is the confort to Anakin's problems. And Anakin is a very passionate boy.

When he has the nightmere, he is afraid of lossing her, I think he is selfish, but we are all selfish with the things and the persons we love.Non of us would be easy if we knew that someone we love is about to die, we would probably try to save that person no matter the cost. Its a very human reaction.

Anakin kills kids and a lot of jedis, only to save her. I think he was possed by the dark side, he wouldn't have done that, Anakin is not like that. I think it was the dark side who killed the jedis not him, he was like unconcious when he did that.It was like a sith mind trick. Sidious manipulated him and used mind tricks to convince him, he took advantage of anakin's weakness for padmé. I have to admit Anakin was a little bit ambicious with power and it was one of the reasons he turned to the dark side, but padmé was the main reason. He just wanted to save her.

When Padmé tells him she is not going to join him, he realizes that he has failed as a jedi and as a husband. So he gets mad, but good anakin would'nt have choke Padmé. Lord Vader would have. I think Anakin didn't wanted to choke her, some way he was forced to do it by the dark side, it wasn´t him.

Anakin really loved Padmé, I am even starting to think she was the person he loved the most. after all, all what he did was caused by her. All he did was for her. It had very bad consecuences, and thats maybe why we can't understand him. He loved her in a very passionate way, probably selfish, but it was love after all.

10. Anakin_skywalker_V1

Anakin_skywalker_V1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2003
    Anakin loved her,

He choked her becuase he loved her so much and he felt betrayed, wen else did u ever hear so much emotion from him?????

He was almost screaming at her and he made it very clear he did everything to save her and for her.

She was dumb she should have let him kill the jedi an the emporer and then started all again,

Did any of u hate how she used almost the exact same line as from AOTC

AOTC line,

If u follow ur thought through to conclusion, it will take us down a path we cannot go.

ROTS line.

U are walking dwn a road i cannot follow

althoiugh they do not read exactly the same i felt abit , oooooooohhh ive heard that be4 wen first hear it in the movie.

11. OldFanSince1977

OldFanSince1977 Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    Anakin did love Padme but his turn to the dark side was for personal power mainly - his love for Padme was a side issue - in my opinion.

12. sith-22

sith-22 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    I dont know... I think he loved her sooo much that nothing would get in the way of his love so he destroyed everything.

13. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Did Anakin really love Padmé?

No. Love means that you put someone else BEFORE yourself. This includes their beliefs and ideals. He loved her in feeling but he didn't love her in action. He murdered for her and murder is against her beliefs. When it comes down to what love really is ("in sickness and health till death do you part..."), Anakin did not love her. He tried to cheat the "till death do you part" portion of love.

There are four diverent words for "Love" in the greek. One means eros (romantic) love, one means family (brother-to-brother) love, one means a frienship love and lastly one is called "The love of the gods"(Agape) . Unfortunately, we only have one word for love in our english language. ("I love ice cream", "I love movies", "I love you"...)

Agape love means that you love someone no matter if they deserve it or not. It is an unconditional love on another person. Anakin loved Padme in the three other words of love but he didn't have Agape love for her. Agape means unconditional and yet Anakin had a condition that she stay alive. If Anakin had Agape love for her, he would have done what Yoda said and not gone against her beliefs to keep his attachments to her.

14. Chewbacca of Kashyyyk

Chewbacca of Kashyyyk Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 1999
    He was more afraid to lose her than he was to really love her...a path to the dark side fear is

15. capone999

capone999 Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    he loved her at the beginning, but after he pledges his alliegance with palps, she's just another thing he wants to control..i think he did it all for his own power.

16. Anakin_skywalker_V1

Anakin_skywalker_V1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2003
    But then again if u was wit natalie portman wud u not do watever it took to keep her alive????

He loved her so much that he wanted to keep her forever like a object, I think that is blind love.

There is no question that he loved her but he just didnt no who to handle that love. Like padme says "love has blinded you"

17. sithscotti418

sithscotti418 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Did you not seeing him crying when he was thinking of her ? He loved her. The first thing he asked about was Padme once his stupid rage ane emotions leveld off. He was a conflicted sould, who was driven to the dark side for fear of loss. Yes he wanted power, but its based on being able to save loved ones.

18. DARTHJOSEPH

DARTHJOSEPH Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2005
    There are two types of love:
    1. Selfless/unconditonal love
    2. Selfish love

I believe that Anakin was more in love with being in love than actually being unconditionaly in love with Padme. He liked the way love made him feel. He wanted to save Padme because "(He) can't live without her" He was greedy for power he wanted to be able to contoll everything he didn't like. And in all domestic violence cases it is for this reason. Anakin turned away from Padme called her a liar then choked her to the ground....doesn't sound like love to me.

19. JediMasterSantos

JediMasterSantos Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    yes, he was afraid of loosing her, she died with the will not to live for his ways of "saving her". he joins the darkside for his fear of loosing her and when he gets his new suit, he falls in pain at padmes death

20. Ms_Padme

Ms_Padme Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    Ok, would you give YOUR LIFE for someone that was merely a possession?

I definitely would not but the numerous spousal murders and incidents of domestic violence show far too many would. Every year there are murder/suicides because "if I can't have him/her no one ever will."

The more I watch the movie the more I believe they did love each other, but they did not like each other. You cannot have a true and mature love without like.

21. Lia

Lia Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    I think at the beginning of all he was doing it for love, but as he saw his power increase it became more about power. If it was really all about love then when Padme flew to see him at Mustafar(spelling), and told him to just leave everything behind and to come with her... he would have ( or at least he would have thought about it). Instead he went on about being powerful enough to rule the universe and defeat the emperor....

At the end it was all about the power he could obtain... Love was his excuse, not his real reason.

22. DARTHJOSEPH

DARTHJOSEPH Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2005
    Lia: "Love was his excuse, not his real reason."

Brilliant, you summed up my whole post with one sentence.

The force is strong with you!

23. jhonjyquestmar

jhonjyquestmar Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    yes anakin did love Padme'. his fall is because of it. He loved her too much. the fear of loss. he couldnt handle it. some people can't. i know some people who totally change after a loved one dies. fits of depression, drinking. the sort. but in anakin's case , he turned to the darkside. once he did that , it consumed him and allowed for the other faults inherent in him to takeover, he didnt forget he loved padme , he took it for granted. he was dark by the time he choked her, he fell into the trap that every sith before him fell into. the idea of power and rule. you see a sense of his redemption with his loud shriek at the end. however minute the compassion is left , he left it there and buried it , it turned him cold and completely inhuman. many people claim their significant other as their " better half " , well what happens if you dont have a better half? you have the bad half , hence , no padme , bad ani. she kept him within the boundaries of moral judgement. with her gone, he no longer wanted to be within those boundaries. so YES , he loved her with all the emotion and energy anyone has for someone they love. he just didnt know how to handle loss.

24. darthperrus

darthperrus Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Anakin was ambicious but I still believe that theres still good and love in him. He is ambicious because she want's to keep her alive, I mean that's obviously ambitious. Aboiding death is crazy , imposible and ambitious.He was ambitious with their love. Have you ever been in love? When you are in love you don't care about anything, you would do whatever to keep that person alive. That's why I say Anakin was passionate, he couldn't control himself, but that doesn't mean he didn't love her.

25. baby_jedi

baby_jedi Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 2003
    After posting on this topic a couple of times and reading some of the other posts, I am concluding this about Anakin:

-He loved Padme
    -He lusted power

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.