main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Did anyone notice the ST titles are all false?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by UK Sullustian, Oct 4, 2021.

1. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    A New Hope - A new hope arises
    The Empire Strikes Back - The empire strikes back
    Return of the Jedi - The Jedi return.
    The phantom menace - A phantom menaced.
    Attack of the clones - Clones attack!
    Revenge of the sith - The Sith got some serious revenge.

The Force awakens - The force was not asleep
    The Last Jedi - No he/she were not.
    Rise of the Skywalker - The Skywalkers are all dead.

SEAGOAT EDIT: removing this bit here

UKS

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2021
  2. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    1. “The Force awakens” refers to the Force “awakening” in someone. It certainly awakens in Rey and awakened in Finn but that was ignored.

2. Luke was the last Jedi. When he died, Rey would become the last Jedi

3. The title probably meant something before the movie was massacred

3. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I'm failing to see how the original titles are false or more so, how they are any bit different than the other ones listed.

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The Last Jedi is the only title that actually has a meaning within the movie.
    I was bummed they were missing the pulpy matinee serial feel of the originals' titles.
    Attack of the Clones is both cheesy and subversive. Based on the title, you'd assume clones are the bad guys. But they're not. Not yet, anyway ;)

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    3. Ben Solo (Skywalker) literally rose up out of a hole in the ground.

6. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    And then fell over and died.

7. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    What the titles tell you is true - from a certain point of view. :ben:

TIE Mechanic likes this.
  8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    @UK Sullustian -

I've had to remove a certain bit of information from your post. You aren't being disciplined beyond this, but please remember that forum rule on spoiler tagging applies to any recently released or upcoming media, not just Star Wars

9. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004

I suppose it depends on your point of view and reasoning. According to this guy. They are all wrong...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    ewoksimon likes this.
  10. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    The Skywalkers rose again through Rey joining their family and putting an end to the phantom menace once and for all. Family is more than blood.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  11. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    She took the name as the spiritual heir but you can’t join a family of dead people. It’s literally impossible to form a familial bond with dead people *shrug.*

I don’t like how Rey became Rey Skywalker and I’m pretty sure that’s not how JJ intended it but her taking the name can be valid without pretending she was ever more a part of the family than all the folks who had a more established bond with the Skywalkers without assuming the name.

2Cleva and alwayslurking like this.
  12. Lord Exor

Sep 1, 2019
    Force ghosts exist, and she can begin a new family of Skywalkers if she chooses.

Awushi Awere and Sarge like this.
  13. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    So in the future she can join the Skywalker family if FGs work that way; I don’t gee the impression that FGs can just go about like normal people, though. Nothing in the Saga has suggested that.

And ofc she can still get a partner and have kids. But family isn’t a name. Like, if I take your last name I’m not automatically part of your family, nor would my future spouse/children be.

Kinda like not every person with the same name “Brown” is part of the same family, blood or otherwise.

I have no issue with Rey taking the last name Skywalker but the idea that a name magically creates familial bonds is a rather shallow view of names.

I still think that last scene was tacked-on and that the title originally had another meaning. The fact that the ending was a reshoot is pretty good evidence of that.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  14. Lord Exor

Sep 1, 2019
    As far as we're aware, Rey adopting the Skywalker name was in the cards for a long time during the production of this film. I also didn't say anything about magically belonging to a family; I believe you may be overthinking this a bit. The Skywalkers as a collective "family" have never been tight-knit or cohesive in ways more traditional and stable families might be, so as long as the ghosts of Luke and Leia give Rey their explicit acknowledgement in becoming one of them, that's good enough.

15. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    The only titles I have issue with are "The Last Jedi" and especially "The Rise of Skywalker", because they come off as misleading, even kinda trollish. TLJ isn't a false title exactly, more of an unfitting one, since Luke had given up being a Jedi for like 95% of the movie. "The Anti-Jedi" would've been more accurate as a title. And "The Rise of Skywalker" makes you think Luke or Anakin are coming back, that it'll be some kind of comeback for the Skywalkers — but no, it's about Palpatine coming back and being defeated by the power of Reylo... Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if these titles were chosen more to generate hype than for how fitting they were.

16. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Depends how you define family and one's intent when taking the surname.

Adoptees, significant others, pets, get bestowed new last names all the time despite not being blood relatives.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying?

Sarge likes this.
  17. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    In those cases, the change of name only signifies an underlying familial relationship.

Absent a pre-existing familial relationship, just taking someone’s last name does not automatically.

For example, I have a friend whose last name is “Brown.” If I go legally change my last name to Brown, I’m not automatically her sister, nor do we automatically now regard each other as sisters instead of friends.

A name change can be symbolic of an underlying family relationship but without that relationship it’s just a name change, symbolic of how one views oneself, perhaps, but that’s it.

18. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Rey has rejected/defeated her dark legacy/heritage as a Palpatine. She views herself as an honorary Skywalker...clearly Luke and Leia agree/approve as they are nodding at her choice/declaration at the end of the film.

That may just be my lone interpretation, yet the novelization says as much as well.

19. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    That’s my interpretation too.

I’m just noting that she’s not a part of the family.

Which is fine.

20. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I can see the original poster's point, but I think all the title's probably do carry some minimal meaning. The Last Jedi title is the most significant.

The "Force" that awakens is Rey, and I think calling her a "force" is a reference to Palpatine's plan, or at least it could be.

The Rise of Skywalker again simply refers to Rey, who takes the title for herself, but also can be seen as Ben Solo returning to the light and Luke rising from death.

Sarge likes this.
  21. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Skywalker is not a Smith of Star Wars. It's a dynasty most closely associated with Anakin and Luke. Rey doesn't spend enough time with Luke or Leia to be considered even an honorary Skywalker. It's also kind of insulting to Luke and Anakin considering she steals their achievement in ROTJ while herself being a Palpatine.

The "rejection of her legacy" sounds neat in theory but no earned due to the lack or proper setup. Whoever said Palpatine wins in the end is correct. After all his bloodline still lives while all Anakin's descendants are gone.

22. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I think Rey deserves some slack considering how TROS was absolutely massacred and the end result something no one who formally worked on it wanted.

23. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Of course I'm not blaming the character (or Daisy Ridley). It just didn't seem right, that's all.

JoJoPenelli likes this.
  24. Lord Exor

Sep 1, 2019
    She spent a year with Leia. How long does she have to be around for in order for them to form a bond?

Sarge and jaimestarr like this.
  25. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Technically, Leia wasn't Skywalker. She was Organa-Solo. A year off screen doesn't count, there should've been more interaction between them from the beginning. And then, ideally, officially adopted by either Luke or Leia. Or how about simply asking Luke for permission to use his last name?

The other problem is that there're no Skywalker left so it's understandable some of the fans felt cheated.

By the way, Luke was raised by Owen and Beru since birth and yet somehow he's not a Lars ;)