main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Dooku ''cheat'' during the duel?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Erkan12, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I realized that they used this ''cheating'' term in the novel while Dooku was dueling 2 vs. 1

''That blue blade was everywhere, flashing and whirling faster and faster until Dooku saw the room through an electric haze and now Kenobi was back in the picture: with a shout of the Force, he shot like a torpedo up the stairs behind Skywalker, and Dooku decided that under these rather extreme circumstances, it was at least arguably permissible for a gentleman to cheat.

"Guards!" he said to the pair of super battle droids that still stood at attention to either side of the entrance. "Open fire!"

Instantly the two droids sprang forward and lifted their hands. Energy hammered out from the heavy blasters built into their arms; Skywalker whirled and his blade batted every blast back at the droids, whose mirror-polished carapace armor deflected the bolts again. Galvened particle beams screeched through the room in blinding ricochets.

Kenobi reached the top of the stairs and a single slash of his lightsaber dismantled both droids. Before their pieces could even hit the floor Dooku was in motion, landing a spinning side-stamp that folded Skywalker in half; he used his last burst of dark power to continue his spin into a blindingly fast wheel-kick that brought his heel against the point of Kenobi's chin with a crack like the report of a huge-bore slugthrower, knocking the Jedi Master back down the stairs. Sounded like he'd broken his neck.

Wouldn't that be lovely?

There was no sense in taking chances, however.

While Kenobi's bonelessly limp body was still tumbling toward the floor far below, Dooku sent a surge of energy through the Force. Kenobi's fall suddenly accelerated like a missile burning the last of its drives before impact. The Jedi Master struck the floor at a steep angle, skidded along it, and slammed into the wall so hard the hydrofoamed permacrete buckled and collapsed onto him.''

It says that Dooku uses 2 super battle droids to distract Kenobi, so he could gain advantage against him, and he considers this as ''cheat'', this is how Dooku actually hits Kenobi. But in the movie, instead of kicking Kenobi in the chin and then hitting him with the Force, Dooku first uses Force to hit Kenobi, and then he throws him down with the Force. It's also interesting that in the movie as well, that 2 super battle droids were standing still until Dooku draws Anakin to the stairs, and then the super battle droids starts shooting, only 1 second later, just like in the novel, Dooku beats Kenobi.

What do you guys think?

whostheBossk and Emperor Ferus like this.
  2. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    You expect bad guys to follow rules?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. The Maverick

The Maverick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2020
    isn't this a bit like asking did Obi-Wan and Anakin cheat fighting Dooku 2 on 1?

:p

4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Can't cheat in a fight for your life.

Alpha-Red and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  5. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    I would expect someone like Dooku to yeah. He seemed to retain that sense of honour even when he became Sith. He was the least Sith out of all we’ve seen - right down to the lack of yellow eyes.

In answer to OP - yes, I’d say to some degree he cheated - but only in the eyes of those who would value honour and swordsmanship to an unnecessarily high degree. Having two swordsmen coming at Dooku is the challenge he was given, so evening the odds was, in his eyes, cheating. To most of us it’s fair enough.

6. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    It's an actual battle, not a lightsaber tournament…

7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I like the way it played out in the film better. Dooku using the Force to bring the balcony down on Obi-Wan's body, but cut short by Anakin intervening before Dooku could finish the job.

Kato Sai and Erkan12 like this.
  8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Obviously its a cheat, but the droids in the movie were pretty damn useless and comical. The B2's were pretty mean in AOTC and then they were silly like the B1's in ROTS. I never understood why he did not use Magnaguards in the film. Even Grievous was dumbed down as that is not the same Grievous from the Micro-Series just prior to ROTS. In any case,Dooku would almost always use Magnaguards against Kenobi and Anakin to gain an advantage in TCW, so its pretty normal for him, that means softening and tiring up the intended target. Magnaguards were pretty tough in TCW, especially Dooku's yellow emitter elite ones.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  9. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    That’s like asking if Anakin cheated when he started punching and kicking Obi-Wan.

It’s a duel to the death. You do whatever it takes to survive.

10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well yeah , I would not make a big thing about it. A better comparison would be the Jedi having Naboo soldiers or Clones when they engage a Sith Lord or Grievous . Jinn and Kenobi's duel with Maul is a lil different from Dooku's, in that Maul wanted the Jedi by himself but used the Destroyer Droids to kill the others and the Jedi also ordered the others to leave. It was more an honor between Sith and Jedi.

But having two Jedi take on one Sith at the same which was pretty common. The prequels normally had one Sith Lord engaging two or three Jedi at once. Actual fights are seldom fair and clean. But it terms of straight honor duels, they occurred too. But Jedi and Sith normally both had soldiers and would use how they saw fit to win and Jedi during the PT had numeric superiority. One of the lessons Sidious taught both Maul and Vader was they would need soldiers and minions despite their lone strength against their enemies. But Order 66 reversed the numbers game, as the Sith would troopers of all kinds and Inquisitors.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Erkan12 likes this.
  11. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    I quite like that. The first 'official' confrontation between the two in 1000 years, and all three were happy to leave the non-Force-sensitives out of it for a fair fight.

12. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Same here. Poor Obi is “no match for a Sith Lord.” In both encounters with Lord Tyranus, Obi-Wan is defeated.

13. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    True. I kind of like that though-since in many aspects Obi-Wan could be seen as kind of almost the "perfect Jedi," he still has limitations-or at least points at which he fails against someone perhaps more skilled than him. He's not flawless, which makes his character more likeable. THIS is an example of great character writing (one of the PT's strengths IMO).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Erkan12 likes this.
  14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Do you think Obi fails against Dooku because Dooku trained Qui-Gon-Jinn, thus Obi was trained in methods by Qui-Gon who learned them from Dooku?

This then could make anyone who was trained by a master vulnerable to their master’s master.

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I could see some sense in that. But I wouldn't necessarily rely on it as a hard and fast rule I don't think...

Kato Sai likes this.
  16. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I wonder if Kenobi hesitated because Dooku is the only other person who knew Qui-Gon intimately. In a way it was to have a piece of his deceased master still living to have Dooku alive.

whostheBossk, Erkan12 and DARTH_BELO like this.