main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Mace Windu Survive?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Daxon101, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I just wondered what people think about the idea of Mace surviving the confrontation with Palpatine and being sent out of the window to his death. Jackson claims George thinks Windu could have survived and there is that Fan film out that is on Mace having survived.

Would anyone be onboard with the idea of Mace Surviving in canon and maybe appearing again? or would it ruin the moment in ROTS?

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Mace surviving would be fine, as long as his “death” scene is used as a huge turning point for him. He needs to come out on the other side a significantly different person. Otherwise, Anakin’s betrayal and Palpatine’s victory won’t seem to have mattered all that much to him and the whole idea of bringing Mace back would be kind of pointless.
    I think.

3. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    That is a pretty good point @Lulu Mars .
    Although I always thought Mace coming back would cheapen Anakin's turn. Mace is a symbol of the Old Jedi Order, and Anakin betraying him when Mace had arguably just started to trust Anakin is pretty symbolic of Anakin burning all bridges to his own Jedi identity. I always liked that while we don't see much of the Temple raid, Mace's death and Anakin's implied slaughter of the younglings really sold the theme that Anakin was destroying himself.

And I also think (in maybe a twisted way) Mace doesn't retain his identity because of Anakin's greedy decision. So Anakin is kind of essentially dooming the Jedi Order to failure and purgatory. If Mace survived this would be lost.

Deliveranze and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    IIRC, a long time ago (before TFA) I expressed the hope that, if Coruscant is featured in the ST, we should get a Sam Jackson cameo as a one-armed homeless man uttering insanely to himself. I'd have thought that funny.

That said, I don't think he could or should have survived. I think it works better for the story if he doesn't.

Tonyg and eko32eko7 like this.
  5. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    The ROTS novelization is pretty clear that he's dead. Maul survived being cut in half but Windu didn't just lose his hand and fall. He took quite a bit of Sith lightning.

"Before he could follow through on his stroke, a sudden arc of blue plasma sheared through his wrist and his hand tumbled away with his lightsaber still in it and Palpatine roared back to his feet and lightning speared from the Sith Lord’s hands and without his blade to catch it, the power of Palpatine’s hate struck him full-on.

He had been so intent on Palpatine’s shatterpoint that he’d never thought to look for Anakin’s.
    Dark lightning blasted away his universe. He fell forever."

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Atollon_Dweller and Erkan12 like this.
  6. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    This pretty much sums it up as far as I am concerned. Mace Windu is one of my favourite characters in Star Wars. As much as I want more Mace, I just don’t think that there is anything to be gained from his return. To be honest, as much as I enjoyed the return of Maul in the Clone Wars, resurrecting other characters from the prequels would cheapen the dramatic resonance of their deaths and, thus the importance of the movies themselves.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  7. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    He didn't survive as far as we know,

[​IMG]

But they can change their mind, if something big happens. Like a direct order from Disney etc. Otherwise, Filoni and the Lucasfilm didn't want to resurrect Maul, they only did it because George Lucas directly told them to do it.

Atollon_Dweller likes this.
  8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
  9. Gonk Droid

Gonk Droid Jedi Knight star 1

May 7, 2017
    Bringing back Maul has really opened up a can of worms now. It essentially means that no character we presumed is dead, is 'actually' dead.

So is Mace dead, probably! Will he return, possibly!

I totally get that SW is a fantasy space opera but there needs to be some semblance of realism.

For that reason I sincerely hope he didn't survive. Disney please don't bring back Mace, please don't mess with a perfectly fine and universally accepted storyline!

Dannik Jerriko and Tonyg like this.
  10. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I disliked the return of Maul for the reasons described above so this one I consider even worse: exactly because Mace is so central character for the old Order (and Maul is just a side character who was brought back because he was you know, "cool").

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    George said he lived so he's alive.

12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014

Maul had to go through an extreme ordeal to stay alive. That radically changed who he was. It's also revealed later that Maul had special help that allowed him to survive and escape Naboo. His mother, the Night Sister and powerful Force users Talzin used her dark side magicks from a distance to sustain him.

After Mother Talzin was killed Darth Sidous said Maul would no longer be any concern.

It all gets pretty complicated. So it's not like they are just hading out extra lives in Star Wars.

wobbits and Erkan12 like this.
  13. Gonk Droid

Gonk Droid Jedi Knight star 1

May 7, 2017
    Thanks for the insightful info, I don't know much about the EU so I'm greatful for your input.

However this still doesn't change the fact that any death we now see may in fact only be a temporary death or in actual fact no death at all.

In fact the info you have supplied reinforces this notion that the writers / production team will go to any lengths, no matter how farfetched to bring a character back.

Thus if they wanted to there's no reason why convoluted story lines could not be made up to bring back Padme, Han, Boba Fett etc.

It's just too convenient that ANY character that is previously known to be dead can potentially be brought back. Where does it stop?

If a character has died (or is implied dead as in the case of Mace), they should stay dead imho. Otherwise the next time a major character is killed you will inevitably 'second-guess' the implications of their death knowing there's every chance you'll see them again.

Even fantasy must have some semblance of realism to keep an audience / fan base engaged.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I agree. I was sure The Clone Wars would have jumped the shark when Maul returned. To my pleasant surprised it was handled in such a way that it believable worked while not opening the door for everyone. It's like the Force Ghosts. It's an odd loop hole that logically only works for a very few characters.

It's fiction so anything can be imagined, but the way Maul returned couldn't be used for Palpatine or Vader to return. Care was taken to create a very special set of circumstance for Maul that even Maul could not repeat again by the time the Clone Wars ended.

Gonk Droid and Erkan12 like this.
  15. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Mace got hit with unlimited power, he's dead.

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    That sounded more like George humoring Sam, to be honest.

17. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    True. Also Filoni compared Maul's return to Vader's survival at Mustafar.

So we can say that this is a special thing to Sith only. And it's kind of a one time thing as far as I understand, since it's not healing, it's just sustaining yourself with the dark side of the Force.

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    @Erkan12 - That's it exactly. This video is from the premiere of season 5, before they revealed what part Mother Talzin played in assisting or augmenting Maul's own Dark Side abilities to stay alive.

Basically at some point Darth Sidious studied how Force powers of the Night Sisters with Mother Talzin. Talzin expected to become his apprentice, but instead Sidious stole her young son and trained him as the apprentice. I guess it was Sidious who named him Maul.

During the Clone Wars Talzin had the potential to become a serious threat to Sidious's plans. I'm not sure if he thought she could defeat him or she'd tip off the Jedi. It's unclear if she knew Sidious was also Palpatine. But we learn for the Sith to take over the galaxy they need to remove Talzin.

Long story short, Maul was used as bait to lure Mother Talzin out. She was such a threat that Sidous dealt with it personally. After she was killed Sidious said the Sith didn't have to worry about Maul anymore, without Talzin his future was erased.

Erkan12 likes this.
  19. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, Maul got sliced in two and usually that kills people, he still managed to survive.

Darkslayer and Gonk Droid like this.
  20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    But he didn't get sliced in two with unlimited power.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    wobbits and Dandelo like this.
  21. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    [Cliegg] he ded son! accept it

Anything is possible at this point though. Wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a new series of Rebels with a mysterious masked character only for the last ep reveal it's a horribly burned Mace.

It's the nature of the business, but would be extremely poor storytelling IMO

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Erkan12, heels1785 and Gonk Droid like this.
  22. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    Did Mace Windu Survive? From this angle, well ... all I can say is that it does not appear that way!

[​IMG]

23. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I think Mace survived. In the Arena in AOTC, when Jango used his flamethrower on Mace, he was able to jump off the balcony and guide himself safely via the Force to the ground. Leia would demonstrate even more command over the Force by flying in the Force field. Other substantial evidence is that when Anakin and Obi explore Courscant, there are thousands of vehicals ans buildings that Windu could have ended up on.

I imagine Mace went back to the the Temple and found the warning programmed by Kenobi that all Jedi should flee into hiding. I imagine Windu like Jolee Bindu (KOTOR) living on Khyssak or some planet in isolation as he processes the Jedi Purge, his failure to stop it and kill Palpatine.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Darkslayer likes this.
  24. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Well, I hope not but you never know in SW, lots of examples of supposed dead characters coming back in some way.

25. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015