main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Mace Windu Survive?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Daxon101, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
  2. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    According to the movie...we dont know if he is alive or not. All we can do is guess. Not seeing a body, not seeing the impact...etc. means not knowing. We can speculate all we want...but the only truth we have right now is that we dont know.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yes he did cuz I want my Crazy One Handed Samuel L Jackson versus Darth Vader movie.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Erkan12 and Darkslayer like this.
  4. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    Having Mace survive (yet another Jedi doing so, more poignant since his 'death' was arguably the starting point of the Purge itself) is akin to yet another survivor of the doomed planet of Krypton in the Silver Age Superman comics. At some point, it becomes redundant and pointless.

Besides, if Mace did survive, I would lose all faith in Palpatine. You mean to say a one-armed disfigured former Jedi Master wanders the lower levels of Coruscant (now Imperial Center after all) for possibly 20 years and the Emperor couldn't finish the job? Geez, no wonder you lost to the Ewoks Palps. :rolleyes:

5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Samuel l Jackson continues to voice his desire to return to play Mace Windu. in a way i kind of hope they give him the chance to do it at some point. i don't know if that means having Mace Survive or maybe just find another way to get him back in the role. but it would be a shame if he doesn't get that chance.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  6. Sephiroth1335

Sephiroth1335 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2019
    Id' like to think so but the movies pretty clear hre's pretty toast... I mean he fell out the indow and seemingly was in shco shock or something and couldn't use force abilities to
    save himself after the fall I think, something like that.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I have two words for you.

Darth.

Maul.

8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    To me, Mace was pretty strongly implied to be dead when he was hit by Force-lightning and pushed out the window of like a thousand story building. I don't tend to like it when characters are brought back from the dead unless there are truly compelling in-universe reasons to do so since to me it diminishes the stakes of any action and generally makes death seem pointless in a story. If Mace were revealed to be alive, to me it would diminish the power of the scene in Chancellor Palpatine's office much as Maul being alive made the duel on Naboo feel less epic to me.

I wouldn't mind an anthology movie that followed a Mace adventure before his death, though, and it'd be set in the Prequel era I prefer instead of the Rise of the Empire era that seems to be Disney's playground. I think it'd be a good idea for Disney to branch out a bit with the era of their films. It would make their films feel more creative.

FARK2005, Emperor Ferus and Ava G. like this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Mace Windu is alive and well and pimpin twi'leks down on Level 1313.

10. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    If Mace Windu turns out to be alive, I’m gonna start considering this series as a low key Dragonball Z where death has no consequences.

11. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Obviously Maul passed on his technique for surviving a battlefield hemicorporectomy to Maw from Lucasarts' Jedi Knight game.

12. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Well yeah, that's your view but I don't think that way.

It shouldn't be the same because Maul lost his place as Sidious' Sith apprentice after that, he fought against Sidious instead of working for him, that changed Maul's goal and his motives.

If Mace is going to change for a big time that shouldn't be so bad. For example, turning to the dark side, and acting like a dark Jedi. But I agree, if Mace isn't going to change and just show up as a Jedi again, then yeah, that would be a terrible idea.

13. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Erkan12 If Mace does survive his fall out of the window, I'm with you in preferring they did something like having him fall to the Dark Side to just take advantage of the opportunity to go totally crazy in every way, though I'd still kind of prefer he stay dead, but it's just my general preference for characters to stay dead. Nothing personal against Mace.

14. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    I wouldn't say 'no' to crazy killing machine dark-sider Windu ;

:cool:

devilinthedetails likes this.
  15. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    I hope he stays death, reviving Darth Maul was also ridiculous, I lost all interest in Clone Wars when I saw him in a trailer, for several years.
    Im still not sure If I want to watch this show now, its just cheap to revive death characters.

16. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    At least Dragonball has some slim excuse — the actual Dragonballs and even then they’ve cheapened the deaths. “Oh no, Goku died? Eh, we’ll revive him.”; “Oh no, Earth exploded? We can bring it back..”

It gets to the point where any drama of a character death just stops being a thing because it’s...pointless, y’know? If you can retroactively avert a character’s death, then why should anyone care? Hell, all Leia would have to do is figure out how to go back in time (now that time-travel is a thing), yoink Han to the side before he confronts Kylo and tell him to not do what he’s about to do. Or better yet, go all the way back to the time of Revenge of the Sith and confront her parents with detailed evidence of the future to avert the Empire all together.

TL;DR — Death is supposed to mean something to the characters and the story, and when you do an asspull to revive said dead character, it cheapens everything — indeed, it makes death inconsequential, like the Afterlife is just a literal waiting room for the dead to chill until they’re brought back.

#EndRant

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    devilinthedetails likes this.
  17. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    I understand you don't like it, but why it is ''ridiculous''?

Darth Vader survived the worse by using the Dark Side of the Force, he burned heavily on the lava river after losing his limbs. Maul's survival was based on what Vader did. That was also a lesson to Sidious as a Sith master who should've searched for Maul's body, and he learned from that mistake and he went after Vader and saved him.

You may not like it, it's your decision of course, but this is a fantasy/science fiction series, reviving dead people is always a possibility. Especially when we don't see the body that also raises the possibility.

And this idea essentially came from the Visionaries comic book written by Aaron McBride. Not from the Clone Wars Animation crew and Lucas first. Though then Lucas told him to do it, and they would never do something like that if it wasn't from Lucas.

As for why Sidious didn't search for Windu's body, I think he knows the Jedi don't have the power to cling onto life in abnormal situations. As they said,

Dave Filoni: ''The Sith are consumed with never wanting to die. It's a completely physical thing to them. There is no afterlife for them. Everything exists in the now. They have to stay alive. They fear death more than anyone. That's what makes them so twisted and evil. So Vader holds on to life at the edge of the lava flow, because he is such a condemned for Obi-Wan, such an anger for whose happens in his life. And that same type of focus, hatred what sustains Maul.''

--- Star Wars Celebration Clone Wars Season Five Premiere (2012)

Assumming that Windu will stay as a Jedi, then he couldn't replicate what Vader and Maul did. But if he turns to the dark side, then that's a different story, and the Emperor would even like that.

18. ThePhilistineCritic

ThePhilistineCritic Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 1, 2020

Clearly, falling from great heights means nothing in this universe and is just sorta brushed off as a joke, so yeah, I think he probably survived.

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    Maul fell down a giant chasm. What, did he just climb all the way back up using the Dark Side to keep him alive?

Anakin survived because he’s supposed to be the Chosen One and plot (as obviously he’d need to be alive in order to be Vader in the OT.) With Anakin, it’s actually a bit more understandable as he was on the brink of death, not actually dead and the Emperor got to him in time.

20. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Mace was blasted face full of Force Lightning. He also had his hand sliced off. If the fall didnt kill him, which it would, then he is in near coma. Anakin had prep before he jumped out of the speeder. Mace was betrayed and then got the brunt of Palpatine's painful dark side energy. There is no way Mace was conscious enough to protect himself.

Jedi Knight Fett and darkspine10 like this.
  21. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    He threw himself into another planet by using the waste collection routes.

22. Elder74

Elder74 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2020
    ŤĤĔ ĎĂŔĶ ŚĨĎĔ ŐŦ ŤĤĔ ŦŐŔČĔ ĨŚ Ă РĂŤĤŴĂŶ ŤŐ МĂŃŶ ĂβĨĹĨŤĨĔŚ ŚŐМĔ ČŐŃŚĨĎĔŔ ŤŐ βĔ ÚŃŃĂŤÚŔĂĹ.

I guess everything is possible now.

23. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Mace is way less dead than Maul or Sidious was, and more or less equally as dead as Echo, Gregor, Admiral Trench and Boba Fett and I’m sure some others. So while I understand the complaints I’d almost feel cheated if Mace didn’t survive at this point lol. If they don’t find the body the character is never dead in fiction, that’s the rule. I’m still mad that
    Sirius Black was actually dead
    lol

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He's only mostly dead

25. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    The main difference being that Vader received medical attention. I can buy Vader’s survival because we know from our own world that people do survive incredible injuries, but while the will to live is paramount in such situations it is simply not enough to sustain a critically damaged body on its own. Vader survived because of his will to live and the medical attention he received, while we are supposed to believe that Maul survived on will alone even though his injuries were far more critical in the long term – especially the loss and/or severe damage to internal organs.

With Maul I’m being asked to buy the idea that the dark side can compensate for missing or damaged organs, correct biochemical imbalance, correct hypovolaemia, and loads of other bodily problems a bisection would cause. That is simply a bit too much for my suspension of disbelief (and I even enjoyed his character in TCW).

If Maul had received medical attention not too long after his injury, I would have no problems with his survival. If they can come up with a good explanation for Mace having survived (which must include him receiving medical attention because the lightning would have caused severe damage!!!), I would be okay with it (though I would hate it if they didn't use his character in a good way).