main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did Obi-Wan Always Intend to Die?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dark Ferus, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    It has always bothered me that despite being as close to Anakin as Padme, Obi-Wan's broken heart was not enough to kill him as hers was, presenting something of a double standard.

However, it recently dawned on me that maybe Obi-Wan did indeed lose the will to live. Maybe the loss of Anakin and his own heartbreak regarding his best friend as well as torturing himself about what he could have done wrong to cause the tragedy that befell (not that he did per se).

Was Obi-Wan simply waiting for Luke to seize his destiny before dying? How soon did he decide to become one with the Force? It seems as though Obi-Wan planned his death as soon as he knew Vader was on the Death Star, saying that Luke's path laid upon a different path from his own, but even that is ambiguous.

When Obi-Wan says, "I'm getting too old for this sort of thing," it sounds as though he does not intend to actively fight for the Republic or the Jedi anymore, despite being called upon by Leia, and by extension his old friend Bail Organa. Maybe he was resigned to living and dying with his own failures by this time, save for watching over Luke until he came of age?

Otherwise, why would he, only in his fifties, not see a role for himself in the Galactic Civil War once Luke was ready to join the cause and would need a mentor to train him in the ways of the Force? Was he relying on Yoda for this job all along?

A lot of mind-boggling questions can be raised from this, some that even disturb me a little to be honest. I'm curious about what others think about this idea.

Iron_lord and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  2. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Reading the prequels into the OT, it would make sense. As Vader says in the first film, "Escape is not his plan."

Realistically, we might say that Obi-Wan knew that once he joined the fight against the Empire, his days were numbered. He probably didn't plan to die so soon, and wanted to teach Luke as much as possible before that happened, but it does seem likely that his actions were tempered with a sense of fatalism.

Militating against that, of course, is the real-world knowledge that George Lucas killed off Obi-Wan only because he needed to show that the Empire was really dangerous, in what had become an otherwise bloodless, danger-free Saturday-matinee flick. And by the time filming began, Lucas was pessimistic about the odds of making the sequels he'd already begun to envision, so it didn't seem like too great a narrative risk to kill off the story's mentor figure.

In-universe, there's also the fact that Obi-Wan doesn't mention Yoda to Luke while he's still alive. "If anything ever happens to me, seek out Yoda on the planet Dagobah." Which would be an extremely prudent course of action if he were really planning to die on the Death Star.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Sith Lord 2015, Sarge and oierem like this.
  3. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That's one mightily big stretch if there ever was one. In no way, shape or from was Obi Wan as close to Anakin as Padme. Their relationships were completely different and work on completely different levels. Thus there is no double standard at all. No matter how close you are to someone, or how long you have known someone, a friend is still "just" a friend, but husband and wife, or partners in general, have a much deeper and more intimate connection than that. Doesn't mean that someone cannot have life-long friends while the partners never last nearly that long, but if you have found the "love of your life" the effects are clearly having a bigger impact than any friend does.

If you look at actual medical history, spouses dying of this effect is rather well known. It also has been encountered among close relatives. But there is little word about it happening among friends, even close ones.

Then you have to take into consideration that Obi Wan was a Jedi, and thus trained to not let his emotions get to him. That obviously has its limits, as he clearly was affected by what happened, but he would be a whole lot less prone to it than a regular person.

I don't see anything that would suggest that Obi Wan lost the will to live. You don't live another ~20 years if that happens. It seems more likely that he acknowledged that death might happen if he picked up the fight again. He knew how important Luke was, and that his life must never stand in the way of Luke escaping from the Death Star. It's not like they expected or planned to encounter the DS in the first place, their goal was Alderaan. It just happened that they ended up upon the Death Star, and once Vader felt his presence, or Obi Wan felt Vader's, it seemed rather clear that he couldn't stay out of his way. Thus he opted for an approach that kept Vader from interfering with the escape of Luke and the others. From that point on escape wasn't possible anymore, so he accepted his fate and choose to become one with the force, because that was the best way for him to help Luke in the following time.

In short: he didn't seek death, but he readily accepted it when he situation required it.

Sarge and The_Phantom_Calamari like this.
  4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I have not read the new canon novelization of ANH. The older novel by Lucas/Foster it was a surprise encounter for Kenobi.

But the indication in the film was that Vader just senses his old master's presence first and awaits in anticipation around in the corridors for Kenobi to walk in his direction. Presumably Kenobi was evading detection from Imperial troops the entire time like kinda like we saw with the generator scene . Vader says to Tarkin that he must face him alone, so I assume Vader and Tarkin pulled back all the troops to some other location while Vader sought him out . Perhaps around that time Vader was talking to Kenobi through the Force and arranging the confrontation. Vader in the film obviously detected Kenobi early with the scanning crew scene.

By the time Kenobi probably senses Vader, the two of them would've felt their intentions through the Force. But the old novel pretty much had Kenobi directly stumble right into Vader just standing there. Vader's machine body also making it kinda hard to detect or identify him or something too from what I remember.

Anyway, in the movie Kenobi does throw the fight and lets himself get cut in half so Luke and his friends could escape. Kenobi and Yoda's plan was to have Luke or Leia kill Vader and the Emperor, they were too old. Lucas pitched that duel's lack of energy to the fact they were two old guys and one was a cripple. And this was carried over to canon.

"While Vader wanted revenge, Obi-Wan was focused on buying time for his friends -including Luke Skywalker. Their duel was careful and measured compared to their previous meeting. Obi-Wan's movements were slowed by age and lack of practice; Darth Vader - recalling the grievous injuries he suffered during their last encounter - fought his former master with apprehension, while his cybernetic body reduced his actions. Ultimately, Obi-Wan deliberately dropped his defenses, and Darth Vader cut through him, but the Jedi Master mysteriously vanished into the Force."- Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force

The duels in ANH and TPM were little more formal and ritualistic. Like when Maul cuts off the Jedi off in the palace by waiting by the doors by anticipating their move and making a challenge. Vader would do this to Kenobi in ANH onboard the Death Star.

It is very likely Kenobi may of wanted to stay behind on the Death Star and destroy it and himself along with it had that encounter with Vader not occurred. He was too old and his powers were weak. So perhaps that is what Vader meant by "escape is not his plan".

5. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Relationship between friends are not on the same level as with a spouse. Did he have some measure of guilt and self-blame? Sure, but he wasn’t Anakin’s spouse. He wasn't intimately close to him.

The thing with Padmé is that in the span of maybe five minutes she learnt that her lover, her hubby, the man she was gonna grow old with, joined the Dark Side, enslaved the Republic, and killed all the Jedi including children. And he did it in her name.

When he realized he couldn’t escape, that’s when he accepted he would die. Otherwise, he’d be right with them on the ramp. He's a Jedi, he's prepared to lay down his life for the greater good -- always had been.

It’s because he’s literally an old man by this point. The energy and resilience of his youth is no longer present — he can’t be the galaxy’s sole savior. He's long since lost the one and only chance to end the Empire so there's really no way he can take them on now.

He probably would've helped had a certain charred-up man with breathing problems didn't stop him in the hallway.

6. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Nah. Ben fully intended to escape the Death Star, but when he saw that his escape route was cut-off, he allowed himself to be killed so Luke and co. would escape rather than engage in a futile attempt to rescue him.

Erkan12 likes this.
  7. AllTheSingleMaras

AllTheSingleMaras Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2019
    Agreed.

And I will add that Kenobi really half-***ed the fight because he knew it was futile in the physical realm. Vader has the luxury of good reflexes from finely honed machinery, and uber force powers. Kenobi, though powerful in the force, was aged and didn’t have endurance on his side. I think he was okay with living on, but content enough with the cause and how long he had lived to sacrifice himself. I don’t think he could have survived another war...or wanted to.

As for Padme, dying of a broken heart is crap. She was strangled, fell, and had a trauma induced labor. A number of things could go horribly wrong under those circumstances... when a pregnant body needs to be handled gently. She died of internal complications...no one can convince me otherwise.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you take the events of RoTS into account, Obi-Wan knew of Qui-Gon's discovery of returning from death and Yoda's teaching him about it. So perhaps he knew death wouldn't be the end of him.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought it was rather obvious he was ready to meet his maker so to speak

devilinthedetails likes this.
  10. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Ben was clearly surprised to see Vader, I would say no. He planned to escape like Han and Luke, but when he sees Vader and he understands that there is no escape, he changes his plan.

11. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I guess to some extent it depends on what you consider it to mean to have lost the will to live. I think Obi-Wan is very much shown to be grieving many things at the end of ROTS: the loss of the man he saw as his brother, the end of the Republic, and the destruction of the Jedi by that same brother he spent so many years of his life training. When we meet him in ANH, there is definitely a sense of melancholy about him, a sense that he is mourning a more civilized era that has been lost. However, there is also a sense of dignity and peace to him. He doesn't come across as deeply depressed or suicidal to me.

I think since the end of ROTS, Obi-Wan saw his overarching mission as setting Luke along his path to destiny, but I don't think he would have seen it as done just when they got to the Death Star, since he didn't get a chance to train Luke that much by that point. I definitely had the impression that he felt Luke needed more training to fulfill his destiny since he appears to Luke to tell him where to find Yoda to complete Jedi training. I imagine Obi-Wan would've preferred to train Luke more before dying but that ended up not being in the cards for him.

In terms of becoming one with the Force, I think Obi-Wan would've envisioned that as his final destiny because that seems to be what the Jedi expect to happen to those who die, and I feel that he would've pictured becoming one with the Force but being able to retain his identity (becoming a Force Ghost) ever since he learned from Yoda at the end of ROTS that Qui-Gon had discovered how to do that. So, I'm sure that the vision of becoming one with the Force but retaining his identity was something he had for awhile, but I don't think he was planning it in a depressed or suicidal way. More in the sense thinking about it as someone who has come to terms with the inevitability of his death but also has the belief that he will go on living in some form beyond death. Not desiring death per say but accepting it with dignity and peace.

I think Obi-Wan accepted the very real possibility that he might die on the Death Star but he saw that as a fair price to pay for helping Luke and the others escape the Death Star. I believe it was more of a sacrifice on his part than about him having lost the will to live in a depressed or suicidal sense. I think we see in his final words to Vader someone who has accepted the inevitability of death in life but also believes in the ability of the spirit to transcend death. His final words to me aren't in any way depressed or nihilistic. They are a statement of power: a statement of the ability of the Light Side of the Force to transcend death.

I felt like Obi-Wan was saying that bit about "getting to old for this sort of thing" to Luke to sort of goad him into action, to get him to take that first step on his own hero's journey. I do believe that Obi-Wan wouldn't have envisioned himself on the battlefield as he had been during the Clone Wars, but he might have pictured himself contributing on the strategy front and in terms of training Luke. Obi-Wan is also a character who loves a good grouse. He's always talking about how he hates piloting in the Prequels, for example, but he's actually a very good pilot. (Not as exceptional as Anakin, but definitely much better than his complaining would suggest. He sounds like me every time I board an airplane, and I'm no pilot.)

I will say, though, that Obi-Wan did come across to me as much older than his age in ANH. He looks like a man in his seventies at least and sort of talks like one. He really doesn't look like a man in his fifties. Time has been tough to Obi-Wan, but still he looks and acts a good twenty years older than he is. If I'd had to guess Obi-Wan's age before seeing the Prequels, I never would've pegged him as in his fifites, that's for sure.

Kenneth Morgan and Emperor Ferus like this.
  12. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    The ANH script says Obi-Wan is "at least seventy years old". His being younger is the result of a) making Anakin and Vader the same person and b) having Anakin be roughly the same age as Luke in the OT when he turns to the Dark Side.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  13. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
  14. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    And the dude’s been living on a desert planet for 19 years. That’s bound to make you look older than you really are.

15. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I think he intended or at least was willing to die. I mean, if he could have escaped he would have, but he seemed to realize once they were captured that his role was to help them escape.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Emperor Ferus likes this.
  16. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I didn't want to believe my theory. As I said, it actually kind of disturbed me that Obi-Wan would have such a mindset, so I appreciate everyone who has said otherwise.

To make my own viewpoint clearer, I think that Obi-Wan knew that Vader was on the Death Star as soon as he realized that it was "no moon." He had no fear of dying obviously, he knew that he would have a role in Luke's development as a Jedi beyond his death, and must have somehow known that Yoda was still alive in his exile.
    I think that as soon as he sensed Vader's presence, he knew that a confrontation was inevitable, and that he would be a liability to the group. Not because of his age, but because of the extended time that the duel with Vader would take. Hence, he raised his blade to sacrifice himself as soon as Luke was distracted from his own purpose on Obi-Wan's account.

On the other hand, Obi-Wan's age may have had to do with the in-universe reason his duel with Vader appeared relatively tame compared to other lightsaber battles (even in the OT). That isn't clear either, considering that he was far from the oldest person to partake in a lightsaber duel.

17. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    The ANH radio adaptation expands on this. There, just after they get out of the Falcon's smuggling compartments, Kenobi tells Luke that he sensed a familiar presence nearby. He doesn't say who it is, but he says, "his presence here explains a great deal". By that reckoning, Kenobi knew that there was a very good chance that he'd encounter Vader, and that he needed to be prepared for whatever he needed to do.

18. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    That makes sense. After all, Vader can sense Kenobi.

19. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Hmm...I could definitely believe that Obi-Wan did sense Vader much as Vader could sense Obi-Wan. I can believe Obi-Wan would decide to sacrifice himself for the good of the group, but I don't think it would be an act of depression or anything like that. So, I guess I personally would say he was willing to die but he hadn't lost the will to live if that makes any sense at all.

20. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I don't see Kenobi's smile just before Vader cuts him down as one of, "Thank the Force! I'm finally going to be put out of my misery." It looks to me more like, "Thank the Force! My friends will escape, and I'm going to pull off a trick the Sith will never suspect."

21. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I’m glad to read posts such as this, since I didn’t want to believe that Obi-Wan was on a suicide mission.

22. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Out-of-universe, it also wasn't a prudent plan, because Lucas didn't know how he would continue the story should a sequel be made...

BlackRanger likes this.
  23. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Forgot to add this:

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought he was 900 years old? :(

BlackRanger likes this.
  25. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I took Ben's smile as one of acceptance. Vader is now more powerful due to Ben's age and he accepts the fact that Vader will not allow him to escape but he can help them escape another way.