main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did Obi-Wan Always Intend to Die?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dark Ferus, Aug 24, 2019.

1. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    And, in the ESB scripts, blue.

Emperor Ferus and MeBeJedi like this.
  2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    He is. Remember, this is Lucas we’re talking about. The man who, after two movies decided to make Luke and Leia siblings in Return of the Jedi.

3. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Vader is not more Powerful, Ben is more powerful than Vader can possibly imagine

4. Morgan Solo

Morgan Solo Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 20, 2000
    It's not the years...It's the mileage!

5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Through the use of a Force Ghost. Being something Vader can’t kill or stop from reaching Luke. But in terms of raw power in combat Vader is stronger IMO.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  6. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I think Obi-Wan felt that there was something he had to fix ('I have failed you, Anakin. I have failed you.') and his character simply did not allow him to give up on himself before that. Padmé, on the other hand, did not feel that she had something left to fix personally that would be reason for her to have to stay alive.

I think living with the fact that he was still alive while the Jedi were almost extinct because of his former apprentice would have been painful for Obi-Wan, and the Force spared him by letting him know that he had done enough and it was all right to move on. One has to recall that Obi-Wan's Force ghost remained around to watch over Luke until the fall of the Empire: it goes to show how much he felt he had to be around to take responsibility that he didn't just take a "vacation" in the Netherworld of the Force after dying. So I definitely don't think he sought death out of depression, but he was ready to accept death when the Force called for it.

Jedi Knight Fett and Sarge like this.