main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Palpatine order the Sandpeople to capture the mother of Anakin

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by QUEEN_LEIA, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QUEEN_LEIA

QUEEN_LEIA Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    Did Palpatine somehow order the Sandpeople, the most unholy creatures on the planet to capture the mother of Anakin...and ignite his anger for distruction?

2. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    Yeah, and Mace is a traitor, too. Can't forget that...

3. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    At this point ,we don't know for certain. I really hope not. Even if it's not mentioned in Ep 3, I wouldn't be surprised if this theory creeps into the EU somewhere.

4. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I doubt it. But Shmi was "taken" about a month before Anakin went back to Tattoine, that much we know. But I also don't think the Tuskens will be "talking" to anyone but themselves and what reward would they get anyway.

5. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    This is one point I doubt. Palpatine has to make himself look good in Anakin's eyes, and killing Anakin's mom wouldn't help him out much in that quest.

6. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Well it's not like he would tell Anakin that. In case you didn't notice, Palpatine doesn't always tell the truth, not even (or maybe especially not) to Darth Vader.

Ian Moone likes this.
  7. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    No, I doubt it. The Tuskens are just viscious psychopaths.

8. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Personally, having Palpatine involved in some way with the abduction, would make it seem that Anakin's fall to the darkside, was helped by someone else.

Anakin's fall has to be rested upon his own actions and the point that his reliance on his mother, thinking about her, etc and the fear of losing her, is part and parcel of his eventual fall.

Shmi's capture was due to the hazardous enviroment of Tattoine outside the cities. The Tuskens wouldn't dare enter into crowded places but outside the city, anyone can be prone to the harsh realities.

9. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    No,

Why would he? He was doing perfectly well seducing Anakin in Coruscant. He didn't need to order a hit by the Tuskens.

They have their own reasons, which are pretty barbaric in their own right.

10. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, we had a large and rather nasty debate about this topic last summer...I'm sure there's a thread on page 42425 or something.

I still think it's possible, but unlikely that Sidious was behind the kidnapping.

Whether it's Sidious or the Will of the Force, something is sure pushing Anakin towards the Dark Side.

Consider this:

He's too old to be trained, but Obi-Wan seems to be doing alright with his young apprentice over the last decade. Anakin is cocky, whiny, hyperactive, and extremely talented...he's the LeBron James of the Jedi. Or any teenage guy.

Then he sees Padme for the 1st time in 10 years: MAJOR temptation that he really doesn't try too hard to resist.

And this just so happens to occur when he is having visions of his mother being in trouble...and she later dies.

I dunno - Palpatine managed to maneuver things so that Anakin got an assignment alone with Padme. It's within the realm of possibility he kidnapped Anakin's mother as well.

I too would rather that NOT be the case.

11. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I agree with the general consensus.
    It could have happened that way, but I prefer to have it unrelated to Palpatine's plans and hope it'll stay that way.

12. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "Did Palpatine order the Sandpeople to capture the mother of Anakin"

I see no evidence to indicate that.

Anakin seems like a side project to Palpatines plan, a happy coincidence, he so far has not been instrumental to his rise to power.

13. 0bi-Wan

0bi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 13, 2001
    I think it would detract from the overall meaning of Anakin's fall and vengeance if Palpatine somehow arranged it.

The fact that Anakin can't cope with such a random disaster (at least on Tatooine), is evidence of his weak willpower.

--Obi-Wan

14. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    What Abs said.

Palpatine orchestrated a lot of the situations and used a lot of people as his puppets, but this wasn't one of them. In this case, he just took advantage of the darkness Anakin had already fed on by killing the Tuskens after they murdered his mother.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It was a "rite of passage" ritual.

16. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I hope this isn't going to turn into another debate over whether or not the Sandpeople were wrong, because frankly I don't see that there's a hell of a lot to debate.

Ian Moone likes this.
  17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I was responding to the topic, not your post, a_g.

18. Darthette

Darthette Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2003
    QL...I've always thought he did. Do I have a good argument to back that thought up? Ummm....no.

19. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I don't know why this theory keeps coming up; IMO, it's pretty far fetched. Does anyone really think it's at all likely that the supreme chancellor of the senate not only hoofed it to the armpit of the galaxy, but also convinced the locals to capture a woman that, as far as we know, Sidious had never met. How would he convince them to capture Shmi? Why would he? He doesn't need Shmi to push Anakin to the dark side; he seems to be doing a fine enough job there on his own.

20. GrandWarlordMcneely

GrandWarlordMcneely Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2003
    Yeah, with all the twists, turns, and plots in the Star Wars universe, it does make you wonder.

But then you have to think, are the Tuskan Raiders intellegent enough to have a level headed conversation with people? I always think of the raiders as "animals". They have their clans, similar to a pack of wolves. So there is some amount of organizational skills with the raiders. But as far as them doing anything out of profit, that is pretty far out there.

I would think if the raiders were capable of that level of intelligance, where they could cut deals, like bounty hunters and smugglers, that they would use the profits to a higher advantage, like asking for billions of credits, and having condo's instead of tents out in the desert.

21. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Mind you, it just goes to show what a devious genius Palpatine is, for us to even entertain such a possibility... :) The man's capable of anything.

I agree with Scumb's sentiments about this:

Anakin seems like a side project to Palpatines plan, a happy coincidence, he so far has not been instrumental to his rise to power.

To me, Anakin is a promising and interesting side-interest for Palpatine at the moment. He has great hopes that the boy will prove increasingly useful as time goes on, but his main focus at the moment is on gaining power in the Senate and masterminding the Seperatist/Republic clashes.

22. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Why would a bunch of primitive tribesmen follow the orders of some hick from halfway across the galaxy?

23. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    No I think it was fate, the will of the force.

24. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I would love it if that's what happened.

25. I_AM_A_CLONER

I_AM_A_CLONER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2003
    it could work in the story itself...but if it is true i would rather have it left up to the EU.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.