main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Did The Holiday Special seem like a good idea back in 1978?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Eisner, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Eisner

Darth Eisner Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2018
    I always thought that there must have been a reason other than money that justified the creation of The Holiday Special. Did it really seem like a good idea back then, or was it made purely because of money?

2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I honestly think it might have been a drunken George Lucas idea. Like, he got together with some producer and got smashed, and they got him to sign an agreement to make a holiday special.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It was made becuase they wanted to keep the hype going between ANH and TESB. George was not very involved in the project at all.

revan772 likes this.
  4. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I think they were banking on keeping up the hype for TESB. The money trail would seem to be convoluted. CBS could not have done it without the permission of Lucas/20th Century folks so CBS maybe had to pay, but were relying on the popularity of SW to woo advertisers thereby recouping their costs.

OR- Fox/Lucas wrote it off and let them do it thinking it would keep the spirit alive between films and that would pay dividends on the back end.

The thing to remember is we are looking at this in the rear view mirror. There were no tent-pole franchises and sweeping phenoms before this so they managed it, for good or bad the only way they knew. They could have done nothing between 77 and TESB and it would have been just as big a hit and money maker.

Darth Eisner likes this.
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Lots of coke and I dont mean the soft drink.

More seriously, I kinda liked the Holiday Special despite it was all over the place and crazy.

Darth Eisner likes this.
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    There's a superb behind-the-scenes piece somewhere out there on the origins of the Holiday Special I saw once. I can't find it off the top of my head, but from the sound of it a fair number of people did in fact have hopes for it that went beyond money.

revan772 likes this.
  7. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I just showed my fiancée this for the fist time... I loved seeing it again, she got weirded out lol. I thought it was cool, but I am a fanboy to the max. It had to seem like a good idea though, my dad and grandma know all of the guest stars in it so they must have had to pay a pretty penny to involve them.

Darth Eisner likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It would not be the worst thing ever if they had fixed the wookie bits.

cwustudent and Darth Eisner like this.
  9. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Yes, before everybody saw it.

But I'm still waiting for my Blu-ray release with deleted scenes.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Extended directors cut right?

MrDarth0 and revan772 like this.
  11. Darth Eisner

Darth Eisner Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2018
    Extended complete final ultimate director’s never-before-seen special edition cut.

12. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Wish I had a copy of the HS on blu ray.
    It's a pretty neat show. We get to see lotsa cool stuff and Carrie sings us a lovely song too which is so wonderful. [face_love]

13. ralfyman

ralfyman Jedi Padawan

Jan 9, 2018
    I think that was shown during the tail end of the popularity of musical specials on TV.

14. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    The idea was to give a short special for the fans along the lines of typical TV shows of the time. It just ended up being a bit more corny than I think they intended it to be.

15. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Rite of Passage for Star Wars Fans :) Watch this you must..........hehehe

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Seems like the question has more or less been answered. Bye bye thread. :deathstar:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.